Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is not Bernard, the problem is the midfield. Bernard, in a good team, can be a very good player - this can be evidenced from our home games. Away from home he becomes less effective because our midfield is pathetic and cannot dominate/dictate matches. Sort the midfield and Bernard will become far more effective. Carlo will know this.
Agreed.
Bernard would be an excellent player in a Man City side who dominate possession. He is a very clever footballer with a good footballing brain and has great control.
What he is not is a strong fast powerful ball winner.

Agreed.
Bernard would be an excellent player in a Man City side who dominate possession. He is a very clever footballer with a good footballing brain and has great control.
What he is not is a strong fast powerful ball winner.
I'm not sure about that. If he was capable of being an excellent player for a team like City he'd be playing for a team like City, not us. He wouldn't look out of place at a team like that in terms of his touch etc, but he'd be a weak link overall because he isn't anywhere near as good as the likes of either of the Silvas, Sterling or Mahrez. He's a good player and technically much better than the vast majority of our team, but he's just not at that level.

One to look at. Speaks English, leftie, available for 12m, wants the PL.

Big boy to. Listed as 6'3'' with a bit of pace. At this point I would take anyone over Keane as our #3. We have the two youngers who I wouldnt mind going to trial by flame either.

I can see both sides on the Bernard thing. He’s a lovely player to watch, good touch, awareness, etc. And the team is definitely better with him in it, he knits things together in a way that others don’t. On the flip side, I also think the team is better with Walcott in it, because he offers something that others don’t, but I wouldn’t want him staying in the starting XI. Ideally you’d want to upgrade on both I think. I like Bernard, but it’s hard to disagree with the idea that an attacking player who is involved in 7/8 goals a season (almost exclusively at home) isn’t going to get you very far.

Bernard is a really hard one for me. He is one of those guys, to use the cricket analogy again- who looks great on the eye. Plays a perfect cover drive and looks rally graceful, but ultimately doesn't make a lot of runs. Being able to play good shots, and being able to score runs are different skills (albeit with certain overlaps).

The flip of the argument is probably Steven Peinaar. He didn't score or assist many but was a central cog. I suppose he helped better players get better, which I'm not sure we can say about Bernard yet.

If I was managing the squad he would be one I was none committal. He wouldn't be being earmarked for a sale, but also he'd be one that if a reasonable offer came in I'd be comfortable in losing. I don't think he's been a flop, but he's not quite been a roaring success.

Bernard is a really hard one for me. He is one of those guys, to use the cricket analogy again- who looks great on the eye. Plays a perfect cover drive and looks rally graceful, but ultimately doesn't make a lot of runs. Being able to play good shots, and being able to score runs are different skills (albeit with certain overlaps).

The flip of the argument is probably Steven Peinaar. He didn't score or assist many but was a central cog. I suppose he helped better players get better, which I'm not sure we can say about Bernard yet.

If I was managing the squad he would be one I was none committal. He wouldn't be being earmarked for a sale, but also he'd be one that if a reasonable offer came in I'd be comfortable in losing. I don't think he's been a flop, but he's not quite been a roaring success.
Yes I think that's spot on. He's a footballing James Vince.

Bernard is class in my opinion and the Pienaar comparison is a really good one. He might not be top of the stats for goals/assists, but he is a really clever and technical player who can create space for others. Having a stronger, more energetic midfield around him would help our side so much. If Carlo wants to stick with 4-4-2, a midfield 4 of him, Gomes, a new box-to-box CM and a new speedy winger on the right would be great.

Big boy to. Listed as 6'3'' with a bit of pace. At this point I would take anyone over Keane as our #3. We have the two youngers who I wouldnt mind going to trial by flame either.

Have watched him a fair few times this season, he has been really good. He isnt a lovely stylish defender, his passing is pretty poor and he is a bit industrial... but he is an excellent defender. Quick and strong, good positioning, good awareness. Not afraid to take the forward apart at the hip if he isnt going to win the ball either.

If he ends up at one of those he’s a squad player. But somehow he’s not good enough to be a squad player here at worst? That’s all I’m saying. We want to get into the Champions League but we’re not doing that over night and it won’t be without a squad full of Premier League capable players first off. Our first 11 isn’t even that great nevermind the depth behind it.

Also think it’s a bit unfair to judge him on this season, was basically promised a move last summer to a big club that never happened to stay for a relegation fight. Same as Zaha. Good players in poor teams that lose motivation, Zaha is a local lad for Palace and obviously cares more for them though. Obviously a player should perform no matter what but given the modern game it’s very understandable, especially when he’s on such low wages compared to most other players in the league. It’s their livelihood after all.
We don’t need a squad player, we need a proper player. We literally have 2 squad players in his position already. People moan about us wasting money then suggest nonsense like this.

Also we aren’t linked with him.

Have watched him a fair few times this season, he has been really good. He isnt a lovely stylish defender, his passing is pretty poor and he is a bit industrial... but he is an excellent defender. Quick and strong, good positioning, good awareness. Not afraid to take the forward apart at the hip if he isnt going to win the ball either.
Cue record PL red cards in a single season!

One to look at. Speaks English, leftie, available for 12m, wants the PL.

I like him, had a good season, he was linked with Real Madrid earlier in the summer but that seems to have gone quiet, possibly we could include Sandro in a deal, from an FFP point of view we could even pay a bit more for him to off set Sandro's wages/fee.

I know it's just a YT clip but his positioning and reading of the game looks superb there.

Especially liked one of the moments on the clip where he knew his other centre half would get done and covered for him before it even happened. Can't teach those instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.