Everton Youth Teams Thread

I wonder about Adeniran as well mate. 21 now, so not a baby by any stretch.

...could be but I have my doubts. I know he’s training with the 1st team but I wonder if they’d have done this if he hadn’t been purchased. They’re playing him in a different position, which often happens when a player is in last chance saloon. Also, at 21 I’d have expected him to have broken through.

i could be very wrong.

Gibson has spent a couple of seasons in the academy at this stage and although he hasn't started in the Premiership I think we all know that is where he will be playing his football as he has made a big impact in adult football already.

I don't think Gibson played any games for the academy teams (u23 is past academy level).
While he's off to a promising start to his career in men's football that doesn't guarantee he's goin to make it as premier league player. Fingers crossed though

Suprised we havent really seen someone like Ryan Astley near first team training. Especially with us being short at centre back

Suprised we havent really seen someone like Ryan Astley near first team training. Especially with us being short at centre back
I’m a huge Astley fan , so it’s disappointing in some ways that Branthwaite has shot ahead of him. The talent he first showed must still be there so has anything changed? Well he’s still only 18, played mainly RB for the U23s where his reluctance to cross the half way line and attacking ability will count against him, dropped down for a few u18 games at CB but we seem to have him on a steady rather than rapid development plan.
He hasn’t as yet developed as physically as I’d hoped , but maybe that will come. My slight worry about Astley is that he was outstanding so young, a natural captain for club and country , seeing and doing things others his age didn’t do in a “ captains” kind of way but as he’s got older maybe others have caught him up . My nagging comparison is with the other Ryan, Ryan Ledson , a standout at his age , captain of his country etc, but stalled in his progress for a while. Astley at 16 was one of the most talented defenders I’ve seen , he won’t have lost that completely and time is very much on his side at 18, e.g. Holgate has only just established himself at 23, Keane was 24 when we bought him.

I’m a huge Astley fan , so it’s disappointing in some ways that Branthwaite has shot ahead of him. The talent he first showed must still be there so has anything changed? Well he’s still only 18, played mainly RB for the U23s where his reluctance to cross the half way line and attacking ability will count against him, dropped down for a few u18 games at CB but we seem to have him on a steady rather than rapid development plan.
He hasn’t as yet developed as physically as I’d hoped , but maybe that will come. My slight worry about Astley is that he was outstanding so young, a natural captain for club and country , seeing and doing things others his age didn’t do in a “ captains” kind of way but as he’s got older maybe others have caught him up . My nagging comparison is with the other Ryan, Ryan Ledson , a standout at his age , captain of his country etc, but stalled in his progress for a while. Astley at 16 was one of the most talented defenders I’ve seen , he won’t have lost that completely and time is very much on his side at 18, e.g. Holgate has only just established himself at 23, Keane was 24 when we bought him.

I wonder if it's just that Branthwaite is a little more physically developed. When I look at photos of him he reminds me of Richard Dunne at that age. They are both 2nd year scholar age group so it would be a big leap for either buy Branthwaite has also played 15 leagues albeit at a much lower level. My hope is at least one maybe 2 of Gibson, Astley and Branthwaite will be good enough for first team football in the next couple of seasons.

I wonder if it's just that Branthwaite is a little more physically developed. When I look at photos of him he reminds me of Richard Dunne at that age. They are both 2nd year scholar age group so it would be a big leap for either buy Branthwaite has also played 15 leagues albeit at a much lower level. My hope is at least one maybe 2 of Gibson, Astley and Branthwaite will be good enough for first team football in the next couple of seasons.

Yes Astley is currently far too small to play centre back at decent level. Hopefully he has a growth spurt