2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some absolutely fantastic goals.

The Burnley header for me is still one of the best goals of the season we scored.

I want my striker's chucking themselves at everything, I want them to want to score and be on the end of tap ins. That's what he's worked on massively since Silva left. Ferguson helped massively then Ancelotti fired a big massive rocket up his arse by telling him you can't score goals if you ain't in the middle to slot them.

Massive improvement from earlier on in the season and still some way to go.

To be fair to Silva, he clearly had some faith in Dominic as well. (I still think Silva would be a good coach for players, maybe not a manager though). CA and Ferguson appear to have just unlocked that extra bit from DCL which is great.

I have been one of DCL's biggest critics and his improvement has been astounding. I am more than happy to say look "this player has developed 10x more than i thought he ever would. I still think he still has a lot of work to go. If he can grab the goals he is grabbing while developing himself then he will have a very good career.

Let it continue.

To be fair to Silva, he clearly had some faith in Dominic as well. (I still think Silva would be a good coach for players, maybe not a manager though). CA and Ferguson appear to have just unlocked that extra bit from DCL which is great.

I have been one of DCL's biggest critics and his improvement has been astounding. I am more than happy to say look "this player has developed 10x more than i thought he ever would. I still think he still has a lot of work to go. If he can grab the goals he is grabbing while developing himself then he will have a very good career.

Let it continue.

Fair play to you, nothing wrong with changing your mind on a player after a few years. I'll also admit I didn't rate DCL at all, but hes come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months.

Thats the problem with a lot of posters on here, they don't want to admit that they were 'wrong' about a player and then end up defending their opinion to the hilt even if it no longer makes any sense.

I can confirm I‘ve moved in from Apostolos Vellios and DCL is my new man. After Gomes.
NEVER FORGET

Apostolos-Vellios-1344869428.jpg

:blush:

Fair play to you, nothing wrong with changing your mind on a player after a few years. I'll also admit I didn't rate DCL at all, but hes come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months.

Thats the problem with a lot of posters on here, they don't want to admit that they were 'wrong' about a player and then end up defending their opinion to the hilt even if it no longer makes any sense.

Honestly I can't truly say yet im convinced that he's as good as some make out. I do have my doubts still, as plenty of players have a golden patch and fall off. Look at Jelavic. My belief on whether he has the tools to be a leading premier league striker has changed though, all comes down to whether he can do it long-term.

Literally only time can tell us now. He's had an absolutely golden period since CA has come in. If he is still doing it consistently in a years time then a rational judgement can be made. I hope he does achieve that longevity as a goalscorer because his recent improvement has been remarkable.

Here's to hoping he can.

He's the greatest striker in England and a dashing good looking chap to boot.

Actually, he's a fit guy who has an eye for a goal when it comes along - usually created by others!

He'll never be without a decent wage, even if he gets punted by us.

Honestly I can't truly say yet im convinced that he's as good as some make out. I do have my doubts still, as plenty of players have a golden patch and fall off. Look at Jelavic. My belief on whether he has the tools to be a leading premier league striker has changed though, all comes down to whether he can do it long-term.

Literally only time can tell us now. He's had an absolutely golden period since CA has come in. If he is still doing it consistently in a years time then a rational judgement can be made. I hope he does achieve that longevity as a goalscorer because his recent improvement has been remarkable.

Here's to hoping he can.

The difference with Jelavic tho was that he had that golden period in the prime of his career.

Whats encouraging about DCL is that hes steadily been getting better year on year, and hes still only 23.

As you say, still not the finished article but I'm a lot more convinced than i was 12-18 months ago

For a striker of his build and stature age wise he is way ahead of the curve. He is still essentially a boy but is outmuscling men. When he fills out and gains experience he will be a right handful.

If we don't get our midfield sorted out , I don't think that any of our forwards will be scoring many goals anytime soon. DCL is good. He scores goals. But he can only be as good as the service he gets. And that ain't much from a number of our squad. Midfield in particular.

What would we not give for a modern day Dave Thomas crossing for DCL and Richarlson to latch on to. Or a Kevin Sheedy and Trevor Steven . Or a Martin Dobson threading a ball through. Or a Baines and Pienaar combination. Or a trinity feeding balls through to DCL. Would he have been good enough to have played in those teams? I think that he would. No problem.
Sorry about the reminise.

DCL is good. I think that he will get better. But he will only be as good as the midfield behind him. And that ain't great at present.
DCL and Richarlson will need to dig out their own chances. And take them when they come.
Maybe the (for now) direct approach favoured by Duncan Ferguson would suit DCL. Put defences under pressure. Hassle and harrie.
Good football and approach play will follow when Carlo builds his own favoured midfield. NSNO......

Status
Not open for further replies.