Everton Youth Teams Thread

Pennington, Connolly, Dowell, Hornby, Broadhead and Bowler all in last year of contract when new season starts so I imagine we will take anything we can get for them. Baningime needs to go as well but he has another year on his contract so might be harder to shift.
Wonder if any of these lads will be offered new contracts. Not because they’re future first team players but to add to their value. Clubs seem to like stockpiling and selling off youth as it can help when balancing the books in terms of FFP.

Wonder if any of these lads will be offered new contracts. Not because they’re future first team players but to add to their value. Clubs seem to like stockpiling and selling off youth as it can help when balancing the books in terms of FFP.

....I think we’ve had big problems with that approach in recent years. The contracts we offer will be much higher than they get in the lower leagues so shifting them becomes a problem and their value isn’t that great anyway.

Low value transfers with sell-on clauses is probably the way to go if they have 12 months left on contract.

I’m sure the article is 100% accurate , but those who “got away” were pre- Academy players , sounds like 6-10 age group. We use the term “Academy” loosely , and we certainly have players signed up right through the ages but we generally accept that our Academy players are those signed on Scholarships 16-18. Even Rooney apparently had a few games for the RS when he was very young, kids often move clubs at that age. It’s a topic that sometimes comes up and the usual view is that at 16-18 we rarely make mistakes and lose talented youngsters to other clubs.

I’m sure the article is 100% accurate , but those who “got away” were pre- Academy players , sounds like 6-10 age group. We use the term “Academy” loosely , and we certainly have players signed up right through the ages but we generally accept that our Academy players are those signed on Scholarships 16-18. Even Rooney apparently had a few games for the RS when he was very young, kids often move clubs at that age. It’s a topic that sometimes comes up and the usual view is that at 16-18 we rarely make mistakes and lose talented youngsters to other clubs.
My nephew in and around that exact age group, had spells at Everton, City and Liverpool.

Haha, just as I was writing above we rarely lose young players close to our Academy. I’m pretty sure he’s a Schoolboy who’s been in and around the u18s , only on the bench I think I don’t believe he ever got game time. He has been around the club a while though ,so we’ve invested in him, it would appear he doesn’t want to be a Scholar with us , shrugs shoulders . One thing though we’ve never been short of having a lot of young goalkeepers around, its been Zan-Luc Leban whose had that spot at u18 before the season ended, Tyrer and Virginia above him, plus a couple more.