2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant believe DCL has only scored 1 'real' goal this season...

To score all of these 'lucky goals' he has to be in the right position. Take the goal against Man U, if he hadn't closed the keeper down then there would have been no goal, sometimes you make your own luck.
If luck keeps happening then is it luck*?

All I see is improvement from DCL and that comes down to hard work. Is he going to be the best player in the world, highly likely he isn't, but if he keeps improving at the rate he is who knows how good he can be for Everton.

No one scores a bad goal you only concede them.

*-this sentence does not apply for them lot across the park.

For those who call DCL our top scorer its very sneaky when:

1. Half his goals were gifted by the opposition

2. We only have Richarlison in the squad who also scores so its a 2 horse race

3. You are selectively cherry picking using 3 months out of his 3 year time at the club when the other 2+ years he was abysmal.

I could bang 100 brasses doesn't make me a top shagger.

You would have hated Gary Lineker and Lukaku then

You would have hated Gary Lineker and Lukaku then

Not old enough to have seen Lineker mate - absolutely loved Lukaku as he was an out and out finisher.

Whereas folk are pulling their todgers off over a bloke who's scored goals in 3 months out of 3 years at the club.

Im just trying to save folk from themselves - after Jelavic you would have thought some would wait atleast a full season to 18 months before labelling someone top class cuz they score a few goals when their previous record is average to poor.

Siggurdsson scored 14 goals last season.......

Last edited:
Not old enough to have seen Lineker mate - absolutely loved Lukaku as he was an out and out finisher.

Whereas folk are pulling their todgers off over a bloke who's scored goals in 3 months out of 3 years at the club.

Im just trying to save folk from themselves - after Jelavic you would have thought some would wait atleast a full season to 18 months before labelling someone top class cuz they score a few goals when their previous record is average to poor.

Lineker was the master at poacher goals, always in the right place to capitalise on defensive mistakes

Lukaku had quite a few fortunate goals in his time here too, his second at WBA in the 3-2 game, the tap in v Palace for his 50th and a Derby goal he smashed in after it bounced of a defender

Yakubu was the same, both his goals in the 7-1 v Sunderland, his hat trick goal v Fulham, the header to get us level at Blackburn

I would say statistically DCL has had far more goals gifted too him in these past 3 months than your average CF over a season

2x De Gea howlers
2x Chelsea CB howlers

Im sure there was another one aswell but cant remember the team.

So take 4-5 goals away from his season total and it isnt anything spectacular more your average CF in the league.

Its the fact the bar is so low with our fans as we've been starved of any goals in the side since Rom left that we hold him up as some top CF when he cant score the goals that makes the top strikers great.

The day he starts putting away 1 on 1 chances and being able to take on a defender / give the goalie the eyes before calmly slotting it in the other corner of the goal is the day I'll happily admit to him being a very good finisher.

Until then he's a useful squad player and nothing more hyped up beyond belief based on 3 months of football.

I don't see what you are arguing about if he is credited with a goal it is a goal ,of that there is no argument .Now if you want all his goals to be solely down to his skill then that is ridiculous .I am not supporting Dom ,I am just bewildered by your obsession with the way he gets credited with goals .What about the Pickford blunder in the derby ? Is that a bad goal for them?

Ive been on the fence a bit with Brands and Gbamin's injury is unfortunate but just puts the spotlight on our recruitment as a whole, regardless of whether its bad luck or not. It all comes down to expectation levels really. Some think Gomes, Kean, Bernard, Sidibe are decent buys, others dont.
However, when you look the current yardstick of success across the park, our recruitment bears no resemblance. Buying Mane from Southampton for 30 mill and he's now one of the best players in the world. Same for Salah. Firmino bought from Germany, Wijnaldum, Robertson, the list goes on.
They are what I would call successful buys. Absolutely killing it the lot of them.
Our ingredients for success seem to be one good game in three, "being young" or having a sell on value.......Its literally night and day. It's not wrong to expect or demand better buys than what we've been bought. At the end of the day, the buys have been OK. But we need better. Gomes literally typifies it right now. We can see he can be so good and dominate some games. However, he has been dreadful as many times as he's been good and he scores no goals. Would Liverpool fans call such a buy a success? The only real success is Richarlison who is consistently a threat, scores goals and performs tirelessly week in and out. Is it wrong to demand 5 Richarlisons??? Not at all, we just have the same standard of convo about Djemba Djemba, Andy Carroll and Veron and remind ourselves that other clubs make mistakes too. The reality is that our competition have much more success than us, not failures.......
Spot on. I pointed out the same and explained how Liverpools recruitment team go big on players `in game' stats ie. How they perform when they are away from home, and especially when the score is 0-0 or they are losing by a goal. Their team laughed at the suggestion they would ever entertain a player like Ozil. We have only one player that would have get remotely close to their radar - Richarlison.
But I got accused of being a Kopite for pointing out the obvious. How could I not see that Brands had brought in excellent players and got rid of deadwood. When I pointed out we had gone gradually backwards in league position throughout all this recruitment I didnt get a single rational explanation.

My only quibble with your post is that you said Gomes has dominated some games. I must have been stuck in a foreign jail when during those games.
Liverpool would never go anywhere near him. He is a non-athlete, cant defend and goes missing away from home.

Ive been on the fence a bit with Brands and Gbamin's injury is unfortunate but just puts the spotlight on our recruitment as a whole, regardless of whether its bad luck or not. It all comes down to expectation levels really. Some think Gomes, Kean, Bernard, Sidibe are decent buys, others dont.
However, when you look the current yardstick of success across the park, our recruitment bears no resemblance. Buying Mane from Southampton for 30 mill and he's now one of the best players in the world. Same for Salah. Firmino bought from Germany, Wijnaldum, Robertson, the list goes on.
They are what I would call successful buys. Absolutely killing it the lot of them.
Our ingredients for success seem to be one good game in three, "being young" or having a sell on value.......Its literally night and day. It's not wrong to expect or demand better buys than what we've been bought. At the end of the day, the buys have been OK. But we need better. Gomes literally typifies it right now. We can see he can be so good and dominate some games. However, he has been dreadful as many times as he's been good and he scores no goals. Would Liverpool fans call such a buy a success? The only real success is Richarlison who is consistently a threat, scores goals and performs tirelessly week in and out. Is it wrong to demand 5 Richarlisons??? Not at all, we just have the same standard of convo about Djemba Djemba, Andy Carroll and Veron and remind ourselves that other clubs make mistakes too. The reality is that our competition have much more success than us, not failures.......

On the fence my arse, every post you have made has been slating him.

I was in favour of sacking Walsh, but that was primarily because of the damage he was doing behind the scenes by getting all his mates jobs (Allardyce, Lee, Pearson). He clearly had a small-time, 'English boys against the world' mentality. Some of his signings were outright disasters, whilst a few others have been good or at least could have been if afforded more time we'll never know. In the end I was happy to part ways with him because he is clearly better suited to being a scout and the club needed someone with more contacts in Europe.

Iwobi has been played in the wrong position most of his career so far, he should be playing off the striker instead of out wide. Still got faith he can come good for us and Ancelotti clearly wants to have a longer look at him. Kean has suitors all over Europe, he is not a crap player. Whether it works out here remains to be seen but to call him a rubbish buy at this point is just plain moronic.
How does this post get likes?

Your explanation for Iwobi leaving Arsenal with a wimper and not producing anything for us is that he has been played out of position all career? Lol. Is he a goalkeeper? Surely a better bet than Pickford.

Kean has suitors all over Europe. What? We may get rid of him for a loss to someone in Italy if we are lucky.
He has so far been a VERY rubbish buy. He has produced the square root of zero for us. What could a guy possibly do less not to be a rubbish buy? There is the possibility of a miracle and he turns into a goal scoring weapon in the Prem but you can have 33/1 with any reputable bookmaker.

ok devils advocate time...
Is it not fair enough to assume under the following conditions it would be pretty hard to shine....

- Under Koeman who wanted to olay 3 #10’s and had no tactical nouse in a dire team where he managed to get 10 appearances, 90% as a sub and never with a run of games... i think only Rooney was worth a pinch of salt that season and even he resorted to banging them in from distance

- Under Allardyce who was even worse and a 11 man behind the ball longball merchant, i mean how many points did we end up getting under him? Again not afforded a run of games to get himself going

- Under Marco Silva where he was played as a wing back or a wide midfielder/winger again without a real run of games... still managed to get 4 goals and 6 assists...

under these circumstances and how awful we have been you are putting that on Dom? When Ferguson told him stay central and threw balls up to him, he ran arsenal chelsea and united defenders ragged scored the first goal under the Ancelotti regime and has since bagged 11 goals and an assist

i think its reasonable to conclude you are being uneccessarily harsh on the lad

As for my Lineker and Lukaku comment...

lineker was a tap in merchant, lightning fast and could always be relied upon to bury a chance, when he came in it sucked the goals out of the rest of the team...mountfield and trev etc... so he was the highest scorer with nobody close to compare to ( a complaint you make about Dom although he has Richy as you pointed out, Lineker had no equal) and during that mid - late 90’s period there wasn’t a team in the world that wouldn't have loved him hence the Barcelona move...

Lukaku, again to my one and only scorer point... could be relied on to bag vs any non top 6 opponent... Dom dosen’t have this problem in fact i would put it to you he shines in big games... a lethal finisher and stood alone i mean who was next to Rom for goals? Baines?
Again any team would be lucky to have such a finisher

your referencing of Jelavic is merely pointing out an outlier

Good finishers are good finishers period and the range of goals he has scored since beeing given a role upfront in an attacking team and asked to play the #9 and not the channels etc. the lad is a specimen of an Athlete who has been misused.... he has Amazing cardio, is deceptively fast for a big lad, dosen’t get pushed around, can pluck 90% of long balls out the air and feed Richy, can finish, always gives 100% and is coming in to his own

just saying like

I don't see what you are arguing about if he is credited with a goal it is a goal ,of that there is no argument .Now if you want all his goals to be solely down to his skill then that is ridiculous .I am not supporting Dom ,I am just bewildered by your obsession with the way he gets credited with goals .What about the Pickford blunder in the derby ? Is that a bad goal for them?

I just find because our recent history with strikers bar Lukaku the bar is very low.

Take other positions for example such as the defence & GK - the club in recent years even post Southall have had decent keepers such as Martyn and Howard in his prime - therefore Pickford for me gets alot of spotlight from our fans for the right or wrong reasons because there is an expectation of what the player in that position has to do.

Same as the defence - the fullbacks are constantly compared to Seamus and Baines in their prime and we seem to go through CB after CB finding that assurance we had when we had the likes of Jags, Lescott and Distin.

Up top we havent had much to shout about over recent years added to the fact Moyes created a generation of fans who love strikers who "run the channels" therefore the likes of Strac and Naismith were well recieved and actual goalscorers like Yak and Rom were often labelled "lazy" by some because they didnt run around like madmen every game.

Its a combination of these reasons why I think our fans largely overhype Dom because 1. The bar isnt set that high for the CF position and 2. He runs around alot and puts in a shift which is what Moyes drilled into peoples minds that this was what was expected of strikers at the club.

Pre Moyes fans never called Big Dunc lazy etc. For not running about.

Last edited:
Spot on. I pointed out the same and explained how Liverpools recruitment team go big on players `in game' stats ie. How they perform when they are away from home, and especially when the score is 0-0 or they are losing by a goal. Their team laughed at the suggestion they would ever entertain a player like Ozil. We have only one player that would have get remotely close to their radar - Richarlison.
But I got accused of being a Kopite for pointing out the obvious. How could I not see that Brands had brought in excellent players and got rid of deadwood. When I pointed out we had gone gradually backwards in league position throughout all this recruitment I didnt get a single rational explanation.

My only quibble with your post is that you said Gomes has dominated some games. I must have been stuck in a foreign jail when during those games.
Liverpool would never go anywhere near him. He is a non-athlete, cant defend and goes missing away from home.

For a supposed blue, you sure do talk a whole lot in praise about the devil club :coffee:

Agree with both these posts particularly around mentality - it’s no coincidence we have such a poor record in big games/games away at the better sides. As soon as we let in a goal our heads drop and its game over. Richarlison is the only one who seems to have the right mentality

That sure is plenty of chat about Liverpool for a post in the Everton DoF thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.