Was Marcel Brands a good choice for DOF? POLL

Has Marcel Brands been a good choice as DOF?

• Yes he's been a success. Glad he's with us.

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • No he's been a failure. I wish we'd gone for someone else.

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Jury's still out.

Votes: 156 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tale of two summers really. Iwobi was the worst possible fallback option (and yes, Zaha definitely offers more- nobody is debating whether he was drastically overpriced).

Gbamin is either the result of horribly bad luck or an incompetent medical squad (or both). He looked promising injury problems aside.

I don’t think there will be as many missed with Carlo aiding in the evaluation of talent now. We shall see. The prior summer was very good

Ancelotti as manager needs no recommendation from anyone, so that will be two EFC managers that Brands won't be responsible for hiring.

We should see an improvement in recruitment with Ancelotti's input, but that in itself raises more questions about Brands than it would answer.

There is a significant power shift away from Brands following Ancelotti's arrival.

Brands had the upper hand on Silva, but he can never be considered to be on equal footing to someone of Ancelotti's pedigree.

It may work out for Brands, and he can ride on the coat-tails of Carlo's judgement and experience.

I won't care if that happens, and I suspect in terms of reputation, Brands wouldn't either.

Last edited:
I think this Summer could be key, he could prove his worth with the current state of the market.

Big challenge for him to navigate this Summer with little budget and a lot of dead wood, let's see how he gets on.

Hands have still been tied by the dead wood seeing out fat Sam and Keoman's contracts - so or ffp he's had to shop at the cheaper* riskier end of the market.

Needs more time but I'm not unhappy with him. It's a competitive league you can't buy success easily if others are buying it with more money.

*cheaper ffs. Still stupid money.

Least of our problems imo, I think 2 years for a DoF is nothing specially given the circumstances at our club with all the waste on our books where a club with a functioning brain won't sign them apart from us, His signings have been okay I personally like Iwobi and think Kean has shown sprinkles of what he can offer.
Gbamin is just really really bad luck imo and none of it can be put on Brands.

Jury still out btw but more positive than bad for me.

I think given his credentials and our stature he was the best we could realistically get at the time. I don’t think he’s done particularly well or poorly and for a club that doesn’t challenge for anything, isn’t particularly rich and has had a penchant for terrible managers and players that is pretty much to be expected
What a wonderful summary of the last 30 years.

No he's been a failure. I wish we'd gone for someone else.
Votes: 2

Pretty clear.

How longs he been here, where are we in the league and what has he done so far to justify that massive salary?

If we get into the champions league in the next 12 months, it will be down to Ancelotti, not Brands.

How longs he been here, where are we in the league and what has he done so far to justify that massive salary?

If we get into the champions league in the next 12 months, it will be down to Ancelotti, not Brands.

Is that Carlo Ancelotti, who was hired by Marcel Brands?

I wish I lived in a world in which I could blame somebody for ALL the mistakes, but give him none of the credit for successes.

4 for 4 in 2018, 2019 hasnt even finished yet. To me it looks like of the 2019 crowd, Gomes and Kean are hits, Iwobi a miss, and Gbamin bad luck. If Kean bags a few goals, his hit rate looks great.

You also have to keep in mind its not just getting a player, its how MUCH you get him for. Getting Richarlison, Digne, Mina and Bernard for 80 million total is fantastic business, that was negotiated by Brands even though Silva wanted a couple of them. I trust Ancelotti knows a good player, and if so Brands can deliver the negotiation. Ill really judge him once he has one more summer that enables him to bring in a few more players, AND finally get rid of all of the dead weight he was saddled with.

Very very mixed results so far. Probably better than Walsh but that is not saying much and being damned by false praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.