Gazza at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always had a soft spot for Paul, felt sorry for him, that is until I read his autobiography, what a really thick ignorant fella he was with the emphasis on ignorant, he did things HE thought were funny, not to most people with any sense. If you’ve read the book and disagree I’d be very surprised.
Perhaps you’re right. But...

Youtube This : Ally McCoist tells funny story about Paul Gascoigne and two trout

Watch it until the end. tell me you didn’t find that funny! Proper cheered me up during the early hard stages of lockdown.

He didn't have the right people behind him all acting in self interest rather than what was best for him.
He was going to sign for Man Utd but his dad rang him and said Spuds said they would buy him a house so he should sign for them.
Then his sister rang him and asked for a car off Spurs as well.
United under Ferguson all be it early days would have been a far better move for him.
With family like that what chance did he Have? You are there to help your kids put them first not your own greed .

Vaguely remember him having one game for us (might have been in League Cup against fairly jarg opposition) where he rolled back the years and you could see that pure talent-wise he was just head and shoulders above everyone else at the club.

Made it even sadder seeing him in the majority of his other appearances for us.

Leicester away in the league. He ran the show

I always had a soft spot for Paul, felt sorry for him, that is until I read his autobiography, what a really thick ignorant fella he was with the emphasis on ignorant, he did things HE thought were funny, not to most people with any sense. If you’ve read the book and disagree I’d be very surprised.
I dont disagree about thick. I haven't read it. I suppose that to be a unique player like he was you need a certain amount if self confidence and arrogance to resist having it coached out of you by beige safety first coaches - of which there are legion.

All I can say is I'd love to have been a team mate.

The first time I saw him play was at Goodison in 86, we won the game 1-0, but Beardsley and Gascoigne ran rings around our midfield all game. We were very lucky that day.
Think that was the first time I saw him. Remember he brought a ball out from defence with about 3 of our players around him. Played a ball about 40 yards with the outside of his foot to their winger. Had to have a look at the programme to see what his name was. Thought this lad was going to be a player. Great player but a self destructive streak. He took orient apart in the cup for us but that was his level then. Sad to see him now

That tournament, apart from the Scotland goal, he spent the whole time losing the ball. Shocking.
Aye in my mind I always thought he was boss in that tournament, but having re-watched the last couple of weeks he was pretty average throughout.

He didn't have the right people behind him all acting in self interest rather than what was best for him.
He was going to sign for Man Utd but his dad rang him and said Spuds said they would buy him a house so he should sign for them.
Then his sister rang him and asked for a car off Spurs as well.agent and sign on with Fergusons agent son who would then get the commission.
United under Ferguson all be it early days would have been a far better move for him.
With family like that what chance did he Have? You are there to help your kids put them first not your own greed .

You mean like the way Ferguson,
1) Kept control of Ryan Gigg's personal life and stopped him shagging he's brothers wife after training?
2) Controlled Eric Cantana so well he didn't Kung fu kick a fan in the stands?
3) Controled Rio Ferdinand so well he didn't do a runner from a drugs test that got him a 8 month ban?
4) Kept control of he's own emotions so well that in a dressing room, he didn't throw a boot at he's own player that needed stitches in a facial cut?
5) The same great Sir Alex who caused a big rift in the dressing room when he was insisting that, when current players signed an extension to their contracts, they had to get rid of their current agent and sign up with Ferguson's son who would then get all the commission?
I could go on..........

My abiding memory of Gazza in an Everton shirt? The disasterous FA Cup game at Middlesborough when he took the field in the Everton shirt with ten so called players who were a disgrace to the name of Everton that day. Surrounded by complete dross, Gazza was the only Everton player who pulled his tripe out and despite being well past his best, chased everything for the fans and his mate Walter Smith. Felt sorry for him that day...the other ten should have been sacked on the spot and made to find their own way home.

My abiding memory of Gazza in an Everton shirt? The disasterous FA Cup game at Middlesborough when he took the field in the Everton shirt with ten so called players who were a disgrace to the name of Everton that day. Surrounded by complete dross, Gazza was the only Everton player who pulled his tripe out and despite being well past his best, chased everything for the fans and his mate Walter Smith. Felt sorry for him that day...the other ten should have been sacked on the spot and made to find their own way home.

Just finished reading the athletic article. He seems to speak very positively about Everton.

You mean like the way Ferguson,
1) Kept control of Ryan Gigg's personal life and stopped him shagging he's brothers wife after training?
2) Controlled Eric Cantana so well he didn't Kung fu kick a fan in the stands?
3) Controled Rio Ferdinand so well he didn't do a runner from a drugs test that got him a 8 month ban?
4) Kept control of he's own emotions so well that in a dressing room, he didn't throw a boot at he's own player that needed stitches in a facial cut?
5) The same great Sir Alex who caused a big rift in the dressing room when he was insisting that, when current players signed an extension to their contracts, they had to get rid of their current agent and sign up with Ferguson's son who would then get all the commission?
I could go on..........
I didn't say he was perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.