Your Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANMAN

Player Valuation: £750k
I have been watching the Blues since 82/63 so the Everton managers to date have been Kendall, Harvey, Walker, Royle, Smith, Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva and Ancelotti.

Question is who would you have liked to have been the EFC manager?

Just watched the Cloughie years and think wow what a man, what a manager. Controversial yes, but he spoke the mans game and won trophies. Obviously had we took him we would never have had the Kendall years, but even so..... in your Everton life who do you think would have made Everton great?

I have been watching the Blues since 82/63 so the Everton managers to date have been Kendall, Harvey, Walker, Royle, Smith, Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva and Ancelotti.

Question is who would you have liked to have been the EFC manager?

Just watched the Cloughie years and think wow what a man, what a manager. Controversial yes, but he spoke the mans game and won trophies. Obviously had we took him we would never have had the Kendall years, but even so..... in your Everton life who do you think would have made Everton great?
Kendall Mk II & III proves there is no magic formula
At one time we were in for...
Revie - No, not for me, Cowardly fearful as his dirty leeds tactics showed.
Robson - more our type, nice bloke, put together some decent steams but didn't actually win much
Clough - The one that got away? I like the idea of Clough but who knows how it would've gone.

c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_dti83377-jpg.14551

He made us great.
I would put that 84-87 side against any side, from any era.

It's a good question. I can also just remember the end of Lee but for me, looking back, Kendall in his first spell stands out by a long distance. A good man manager, clear style of play, instiller of confidence in the team and supporters and possessing a steely determination. He also had a team that took advantage of pivotal moments - some might call luck, but if you keep taking them it's more than that. If you look at the best managers, they have similar qualities. Kendall may not have been as extrovert as Clough, but that suits my ideal of a determination that doesn't spill into excess.

Whilst Heysel split or team up as they went to seek what was denied them, I am more annoyed that Royle left too early than Kendall. I think Royle if he'd been backed by the board could have steadied the ship and put us back on course. Royle left because Everton failed him and that's more annoying to me as I am sure he only had the interests of Everton at heart.

Currently I wouldn't want any other manager than Ancelotti. I think he's the right man for the job.

Would have loved Clough in his prime, Robson would have done a decent job as well.
Royle for me was a big mistake letting him go, last chance to play with the so called big clubs, every manager since has had an inferiority complex and it shows on the pitch.
hopefully Carlo can stop that mindset.
Kendal first time stand above any other manger for us but i think Royle could of if backed got us moving along in the right direction,
Moyes did a decent job but went stale and wasnt a winner when it matterd the three after him should never have been near are club, although i can see why they went for koeman, but the way he acted before joining us should have sent the warning signals up he wasnt beating the door down to get the job , and you never really got the feeling he was intrested in us long term.

Last edited:

I always liked Clough, but I never imagined him as Everton manager.

It always felt better for me to have an ex-player in the role.

I can't explain it logically as obviously Kendall was "the" boss, but I felt best as an Evertonian when Joe Royle was manager. The press conference the night he was appointed, the derby wins, the FA Cup, perhaps I was a bit older than under Kendall, but I thought if the right backing was there we could have done much better than we did.

I wouldn't have the "Dogs of War" mentality back now, but it suited us at the time and was what we needed.

Now, it's fantastic to have Ancelotti here. A fortnight before he took the job, I'd have never believed he would agree to manage us.

I always liked Clough, but I never imagined him as Everton manager.

It always felt better for me to have an ex-player in the role.

I can't explain it logically as obviously Kendall was "the" boss, but I felt best as an Evertonian when Joe Royle was manager. The press conference the night he was appointed, the derby wins, the FA Cup, perhaps I was a bit older than under Kendall, but I thought if the right backing was there we could have done much better than we did.

I wouldn't have the "Dogs of War" mentality back now, but it suited us at the time and was what we needed.

Now, it's fantastic to have Ancelotti here. A fortnight before he took the job, I'd have never believed he would agree to manage us.
Sad the Royle era was only brief and I agree it is fantastic to have Mr Ancelotti at the helm. Getting him in is a strong statement from the club and THE manager since Royle that really excites me. He is a winner and we need that mentality through the club. He also brings pride and so much more, certainly us Blues need it if we are to compete at the top again.

Bobby Robson after Kendall MKII instead of Walker

Wenger to replace Royle instead of Kendall MKIII

Pochettino after Moyes instead of Martinez

The name I am going to throw into the frame comes with a bucket load of hindsight and would have took a brave chairman to go for him.
We were on our way to our second title in 3 years but due to Heysel there had been rumours that Howard had itchy feet. In November 1986 Alex Ferguson joined United from Aberdeen ( bear in mind United hadn't won a title since Benny Hill was a lad and we were the best team on the country).
Could we have sounded him out ? Harvey was also a massive gamble that failed miserably.

It's a good question. I can also just remember the end of Lee but for me, looking back, Kendall in his first spell stands out by a long distance. A good man manager, clear style of play, instiller of confidence in the team and supporters and possessing a steely determination. He also had a team that took advantage of pivotal moments - some might call luck, but if you keep taking them it's more than that. If you look at the best managers, they have similar qualities. Kendall may not have been as extrovert as Clough, but that suits my ideal of a determination that doesn't spill into excess.

Whilst Heysel split or team up as they went to seek what was denied them, I am more annoyed that Royle left too early than Kendall. I think Royle if he'd been backed by the board could have steadied the ship and put us back on course. Royle left because Everton failed him and that's more annoying to me as I am sure he only had the interests of Everton at heart.

Currently I wouldn't want any other manager than Ancelotti. I think he's the right man for the job.

Agreed. I was devestated when Joe Royle left.

Status
Not open for further replies.