Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under BK 100% mate but no chance Usmanov gets Ancelotti in to offer him no money.

The Red Echo are just fuming that LFC are likely skint from this so they cant have little old Everton looking like they have money to spend so lets pour water over them as much we can.

Its complete rubbish - all we have lost out on is gate revenue for 5 home games realistically - a drop in the ocean compared to our revenue via USM & the TV cash which will now be paid due to project restart.

I think you're onto something re the Echo. In fairness their sister org the Mirror is running the stories they have no money. I suspect all this posturing about Everton is an effort to try and soften the blow for them and divert attention. The more they do it, the more I think they are in quite serious trouble. It doesnt seem any coincidence these stories emerged at the same time the Werner deals goes down the pan.

Maybe the club are comfortable with it. We like being underdogs and actually raising expectations has been a bit of a disaster. Far more sensible is to promise little and over deliver.

I also think if Brands is trying to negotiate down prices (as he should) that sort of coverage helps.

There seems to be this enormous elephant in the room around Everton currently, in an Usmanov shape. Of course the numbers look terrible, as they did for Chelsea and City before, but I dont remember mainstream coverage being that they couldn't spend because the accounts looked bad. I'm amazed we have a wholly different analysis.

I mean if people dont want to acknowledge USM publicly fine, but don't go out of way to argue it's not there. That seems an absurd position to me.

I think you're onto something re the Echo. In fairness their sister org the Mirror is running the stories they have no money. I suspect all this posturing about Everton is an effort to try and soften the blow for them and divert attention. The more they do it, the more I think they are in quite serious trouble. It doesnt seem any coincidence these stories emerged at the same time the Werner deals goes down the pan.

Maybe the club are comfortable with it. We like being underdogs and actually raising expectations has been a bit of a disaster. Far more sensible is to promise little and over deliver.

I also think if Brands is trying to negotiate down prices (as he should) that sort of coverage helps.

There seems to be this enormous elephant in the room around Everton currently, in an Usmanov shape. Of course the numbers look terrible, as they did for Chelsea and City before, but I dont remember mainstream coverage being that they couldn't spend because the accounts looked bad. I'm amazed we have a wholly different analysis.

I mean if people dont want to acknowledge USM publicly fine, but don't go out of way to argue it's not there. That seems an absurd position to me.

The Echo know nothing mate - we'll spend money im very confident of that.

If people think Usmanov is not going to back Ancelotti despite his wealth increasing through this pandemic just because we have had to refund fans for 5 remaining home games then more fool them.

Sadly the league will start again in June but that alone will ensure the club doesnt have to pay back the TV monies back to Sky etc.

As you say the clubs largely affected are those who either rely on gate revenue like League 1 / 2 sides or the top CL teams who bring in massive money from sponsorships feeling the pinch.

My source told me we are in talks with 3 players currently - doesn't sound like we are skint to me.

The prospect of there being a deflationary downturn will be very appealing to the likes of Usmanov and Moshiri, I am sure. It would allow them to achieve their ambitions with less investment. However, I don't think we are one of the clubs that will be struggling. Rather, we will be one of the clubs taking advantage.

So the deflationary downturn narrative suits us. But I don't think it applies to Everton, and I think it will be nothing but an excuse if the club does try and apply it to us. Usmanov's multi-billion pound fortune has not vanished because of a three month long lockdown.

The Echo know nothing mate - we'll spend money im very confident of that.

If people think Usmanov is not going to back Ancelotti despite his wealth increasing through this pandemic just because we have had to refund fans for 5 remaining home games then more fool them.

Sadly the league will start again in June but that alone will ensure the club doesnt have to pay back the TV monies back to Sky etc.

As you say the clubs largely affected are those who either rely on gate revenue like League 1 / 2 sides or the top CL teams who bring in massive money from sponsorships feeling the pinch.

My source told me we are in talks with 3 players currently - doesn't sound like we are skint to me.
I don't think we will splurge but could easily see like 80Mil being sanctioned for transfers

Last edited:

When they all said we were bringing Moyes back.
Not a bad example... Though you wonder what would have happened had Ancelotti not been sacked by Napoli.

The point still stands that we have a very VERY high "hit rate" when it comes to negative stories.

I (obviously) have no idea whatsoever whether or not we'll have big money to spend this summer... but I do find it astonishing how many people are just writing off the stories that say we won't. It's like they haven't been Everton fans for the last however many years.

When was the last time a bad news Everton story was reported in the press and DIDN'T end up being true?
Most of the optimism is built around having CA as manager and the promises that may have been made to bring him to Goodison in the first place. It is also to a large degree based on the wealth of Alisher Usmanov even though he is a club sponsor rather than owner.

Nobody knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.