Realistically to compete for the CL we are going to need:

CF
2x CM
LW
RW
CB
RB
GK

that aint happening in 1 transfer window - I think if we can get 5-6 of those through the door including 1-2 shrewd loan deals then we can compete for 5th-7th and the cups next season before buying the remaining players the following summer.

Judging by our recent windows, I doubt we’ll have filled those positions before moving into BMD.

Course they will, they don’t want both clubs to have success or good players only one
This seems to be a constant accusation towards the echo from Everton fans. From lots of people on lots of different formats of social media. Leads me to believe there must be something to it.

However, I have to be honest I’ve never seen this bias myself. Admittedly, I don’t live on merseyside and so have never bought the newspaper. Is it a thing locals know about?

I listen to their podcast (not every time) and I have to say I think it’s really good. You couldn’t accuse the people on there of being anything other than real Everton fans. A couple of the older ones always have stories of games in the 70s and 80s as well which are often really funny and interesting.

Ok, they’re slightly more balanced than a usual fan podcast would be. They aren’t nasty or offensive with “RS banter” and their opinions when we’re on a bad run are more balanced than I would be after a bad loss. But I think that is to be expected because they need to protect their relationship with the club and they probably work in the same office as their echo RS colleagues.

If the supposed bias is to do with them giving the RS more column inches or back page stories I can kind of understand it. They’re top of the league by a mile and blowing everyone away. We‘re having a so-so/below average season with our only real news of note that we now have a world famous manager. What are they supposed to do/write?

Again if it’s online stuff I can still totally understand the RS being the focus at the moment. They’re trying to generate ad revenue through clicks. The reds have more international fans than us. Therefore more gullible idiots who will click on a bogus internet transfer rumor story. Honestly, I have no time for their online stuff. They have so many ads it always stalls and takes ages to load. Plus with anything half genuine you can get it in loads of other places.

I‘m never too bothered about their transfer rumors anyway. Good or bad. They don’t know anything and haven’t for a long time. Especially at the moment when no one knows anything because of the pandemic.

How would they know anything? Bill is based in London, Moshiri probably London or abroad and Brands only talks to them for PR/club image stuff. Carlo is also being paid way too much money and is far too experienced to leak transfer stories to the press. The people at the top of Everton aren’t probably even 100% sure what they’re going to do this summer. They’ll probably need full confidence that the league is going to start next season before they start spending any money.

But if you or anyone could explain the bias to me that would be appreciated. It’s probably something I’ve accidentally missed.

But we brought him in pre-Covid.

We can't be spending big money if the TV deal is scrapped because of the non-crowds.
Sky can still show all the games and maybe more next season. They also have made a lot of money from the premier league. I’m not sure they will want to burn their bridges

This seems to be a constant accusation towards the echo from Everton fans. From lots of people on lots of different formats of social media. Leads me to believe there must be something to it.

However, I have to be honest I’ve never seen this bias myself. Admittedly, I don’t live on merseyside and so have never bought the newspaper. Is it a thing locals know about?

I listen to their podcast (not every time) and I have to say I think it’s really good. You couldn’t accuse the people on there of being anything other than real Everton fans. A couple of the older ones always have stories of games in the 70s and 80s as well which are often really funny and interesting.

Ok, they’re slightly more balanced than a usual fan podcast would be. They aren’t nasty or offensive with “RS banter” and their opinions when we’re on a bad run are more balanced than I would be after a bad loss. But I think that is to be expected because they need to protect their relationship with the club and they probably work in the same office as their echo RS colleagues.

If the supposed bias is to do with them giving the RS more column inches or back page stories I can kind of understand it. They’re top of the league by a mile and blowing everyone away. We‘re having a so-so/below average season with our only real news of note that we now have a world famous manager. What are they supposed to do/write?

Again if it’s online stuff I can still totally understand the RS being the focus at the moment. They’re trying to generate ad revenue through clicks. The reds have more international fans than us. Therefore more gullible idiots who will click on a bogus internet transfer rumor story. Honestly, I have no time for their online stuff. They have so many ads it always stalls and takes ages to load. Plus with anything half genuine you can get it in loads of other places.

I‘m never too bothered about their transfer rumors anyway. Good or bad. They don’t know anything and haven’t for a long time. Especially at the moment when no one knows anything because of the pandemic.

How would they know anything? Bill is based in London, Moshiri probably London or abroad and Brands only talks to them for PR/club image stuff. Carlo is also being paid way too much money and is far too experienced to leak transfer stories to the press. The people at the top of Everton aren’t probably even 100% sure what they’re going to do this summer. They’ll probably need full confidence that the league is going to start next season before they start spending any money.

But if you or anyone could explain the bias to me that would be appreciated. It’s probably something I’ve accidentally missed.
Alot of the time it just us being sick of the big red love in. Its usually more the local stories I remember a article about a fella robbing a shop and they stated wearing an Everton scarf but no other description. Another article shortly after was a Liverpool fan breaking the law and they just wrote it as a "Football Fan"

The Echo seem to be banging this no money drum louder.

If we don’t back Ancelotti then there is no point to him being here.

I wouldnt look to much into that , its just Michael Ball's opinion based on his view.

Just look at Barca , read another piece earlier they are struggling big time and will have to offload a lot of very good players.
I could see us benefit in this situation.

I think the whole transfer system will change for everyone , there will be loans even swaps and a return to " undisclosed fee" .
We've had some very good loans then made permanent in the past.
As long as Carlo gets his players in it wont matter how we get them.

Ancelotti said in his interview with Carragher that we have the financial backing to make taking us to the top a possibility. That was literally two days ago.

Obviously COVID has changed things, but no money is nonsense imo. The only thing preventing us from a spending spree is FFP. Maybe the club are feeding the no money line to the Echo to improve our bargaining position in transfer negotiations.
Maybe the club just isn't feeding that rag anything at all.

Alot of the time it just us being sick of the big red love in. Its usually more the local stories I remember a article about a fella robbing a shop and they stated wearing an Everton scarf but no other description. Another article shortly after was a Liverpool fan breaking the law and they just wrote it as a "Football Fan"
Thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated.

yes, I can totally see why that story (Everton scarf/football fan) would grate on you and other people. It would irritate me too if I’d seen it.

On the subject of unfair Everton content. I’m sure there was an Everton game about 10-15 years back on MOTD. It was Blackburn away I think. Maybe the 05-06 season.

We won 2-0 and Blackburn had a player sent off When it was 1-0. On the MOTD highlights im sure they showed the red card first, before both the goals, as though that changed the game. Unbelievable!

I’m not totally sure about it but I think that’s what happened. they had moved to showing a fair bit of every PL game by then, but we were one of the last games so we didn’t get long. I think they said it was an editing error and it’d been corrected for the Sunday morning version (I think). Can’t find anything about it online.

disgraceful Stuff! still a big MOTD fan though. Not watched much of it this season, for obvious reasons.

The reds hahaha.

I wouldnt look to much into that , its just Michael Ball's opinion based on his view.

Just look at Barca , read another piece earlier they are struggling big time and will have to offload a lot of very good players.
I could see us benefit in this situation.

I think the whole transfer system will change for everyone , there will be loans even swaps and a return to " undisclosed fee" .
We've had some very good loans then made permanent in the past.
As long as Carlo gets his players in it wont matter how we get them.

I'm a big fan of making use of the loan system

If there are no crowds surely even more will be watching on TV.
I'm not sure it's that simple.

Will there be as many iconic moments without the emotive crowd? Will the celebrations for goals be muted?

If so, will Sky get the same sponsors in? Will the product be worth as much? Given the upcoming recession, will as many people be able to afford Sky?

There's lots up in the air at the moment. I would say there is much more to be worried about in the upcoming season from a financial perspective than there is reason for cheer. Certainly until a vaccine.

So in the meantime, it would seem strange that the club is lining up 30m pound bids.

I might be wrong of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.