Battle of the "Nearly men"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No contest that. One of the great things about Thomas was how he could clip a cross in with hardly any backlift. Latchford must have got a hard on when Davey was on his game.
No, that would have been obvious. He just scored a lot.

It was red hot that day - having arteta might have given us a little more chance to control the pace of the game more. No disgrace losing to that Chelsea side mind
You could not breathe in that hole. We relied more on effort than Chelsea, key players missing and Hibbo half fit. To be honest I was relieved we got away so lightly. They battered us in truth.

You could not breathe in that hole. We relied more on effort than Chelsea, key players missing and Hibbo half fit. To be honest I was relieved we got away so lightly. They battered us in truth.
Thats how I remember it - the right hand side of hibbo and ossie seemed either overawed or just over matched that day. We never got going after the first 30 secs

Even with the players available for 09 final Moyes could have made it more competitive. Neville should have started at RB. Gosling should have been on the RW and Osman in CM. I still think we would have struggled but it would have given us more chance.

Yes, Gordon Lee brought Buckley in for his first game under him at the infamous Maine Road Semi final
He had a good run in the team for a year before injury meant he lost his place and eventually was sold.
Ok mate can't remember now. Don't think I could even name that semi final line up. Might have wiped it from memory.

No comparison in these two men, Lee was very unlucky, the other a born loser.
Lee achieved more in four seasons than ginger did in eleven.
3 years out of 4 finished in what would have now been champions league place.
He was a keeper and a bent ref at Maine Road away from winning a trophy.
In 4 full season's, we finished 3rd, 4th, 18th and 15th under Lee.

In 4 full season's, we finished 3rd, 4th, 18th and 15th under Lee.

Don't think there is much comparison, weren't we one of the richer clubs in Gordon Lee's days, then went to one of the very poorest in Moyes time at Everton. Moyes time at Everton also coincided with mega rich Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool throwing money around for fun.
We had Bill back of the sofa Kenwright pulling the purse strings. Moyes over Lee anytime for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.