Battle of the "Nearly men"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Lee's team and the first thing that strikes me is that a fair majority of that side were only at the club for a couple of seasons. That being the case, there was hardly any continuity which I think cost us.
Oh for a Latchford and Dave Thomas in the Moyes side though, I think that may have been the clincher for a trophy.

I think Moyes team would be better if it was this.
Martyn
Coleman Jagielka Lescott Baines
Carsley Arteta
Mirallas Cahill Pienaar
Yakubu

We also lost 2-3 at home to Sheffield Utd that season, after being 2 up at half time. I think them and Carlisle were both relegated that season. How Everton that is that.

Remember being in the paddock with my mum and dad.. Talk about a game of two halves!

Some Sheffield Utd fans behind us shouting "Men of Steel" each time they scored. Tony Currie had a blinder by the way.

No comparison in these two men, Lee was very unlucky, the other a born loser.
Lee achieved more in four seasons than ginger did in eleven.
3 years out of 4 finished in what would have now been champions league place.
He was a keeper and a bent ref at Maine Road away from winning a trophy.

Eggs, it was Bingham who threw Lyons up front, not Lee.
Iam with Joey on this one, good centre back was Mick, better than McNaught

....I know, I was just pointing out I always associate Lyons with being chucked up top. Not his fault, of course, but it was a tactic I used to dread.

Gordon Lees team had far more flair , and scored for fun - only that welsh ref robbed us of a possible trophy that game were we were robbed in the semi final -The goal tally for each manager anyone?

Both Gordon Lee and David Moyes went agonisingly close to winning trophies with Everton, but neither quite managed to pick up silverware. How would their teams have fared against each other?

I've picked a "best of Lee" side V a "best of Moyes" XI. The only stipulation is that any player chosen must have played a minimum of 20 games for Everton under the named manager.

Gordon Lee:

George Wood; John Gidman, Colin Todd, Ken McNaught Mike Pejic; Bryan Hamilton, Martin Dobson, Andy King; Dave Thomas, Bob Latchford, Duncan McKenzie

David Moyes:

Nigel Martyn; Seamus Coleman, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott Leighton Baines; Mikael Arteta, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar; Wayne Rooney; Andy Johnson, Duncan Ferguson.

Who would you fancy?
Different times but what strikes me is that Martyn was much better than Wood and Latchford light years ahead of Ferguson.

Status
Not open for further replies.