New Everton Stadium Discussion

Is this the way it's all gone so far?

1) Very rich Usmanov give he's much poorer accountant Moshri free shares of he's stake in Arsenal?

2) Moshri sells those free shares in Arsenal to buy Everton?

3) Usmanov then pays millions to sponsor Evertons training ground owned by he's accountant Moshri?

4) Everton plan to build a new stadium in Liverpools docklands?

5) Moshri buys Liverpools Liver building?

6) Usmanov then rents office space inside the Liver building from he's accountant Moshri?

7) Usmanov sells he's shares in Arsenal?

8) For no reason at all, through one of he's many companies, very rich Usmanov pays £30 million just to be able to have the first rights to be able to sponsor a future stadium owned by he's accountant Moshri, who in the first place had used the free shares given to him by Usmanov to buy Everton?

Pretty much. But that doesnt explain Why.

The ground will be the flagship building on a much wider dock development, roughly of brown field, (well brown dock) between the Liver Building and the ground.

Once a few twigged that was, or maybe is, the longer game in play, everything else has slotted into that picture.

Everton are the key to unlocking a lot of money.

Exactly, the whole thing hinges on how "related" they are. That's my point. It's risky ground. Whereas Usmanov could come on board as owner, plough his own money into the stadium (not through sponsorship) and that wouldn't even need to be investigated. Doing it through convluated, above-market-rate rights deals it's almost as if they're asking for an investigation!
No the whole thing hinges on whether you're the owner. That's why they use the word 'owner' I think. You can't just decide that a business is making a poor commercial decision in offering a large amount for sponsorship and tell them not to do it, it's an unregulated environment.

Is this the way it's all gone so far?

1) Very rich Usmanov give he's much poorer accountant Moshri free shares of he's stake in Arsenal?

2) Moshri sells those free shares in Arsenal to buy Everton?

3) Usmanov then pays millions to sponsor Evertons training ground owned by he's accountant Moshri?

4) Everton plan to build a new stadium in Liverpools docklands?

5) Moshri buys Liverpools Liver building?

6) Usmanov then rents office space inside the Liver building from he's accountant Moshri?

7) Usmanov sells he's shares in Arsenal?

8) For no reason at all, through one of he's many companies, very rich Usmanov pays £30 million just to be able to have the first rights to be able to sponsor a future stadium owned by he's accountant Moshri, who in the first place had used the free shares given to him by Usmanov to buy Everton?

Near enough.

Usmanov hasn't given a penny to Everton though. A company named USM has paid market value for a multifaceted sponsorship deal of a major premier league football club, which includes sponsorship of their training ground. A separate deal to have first refusal on naming rights of the proposed future new stadium has also been agreed.

USM has revenues of circa 6 billion dollars a year, and it is owned by Usmanov. Moshiri has some shares but no voting rights in USM.

USM owns companies left right and centre, with main investments in metals, mining industry, telecommunications, technology, and media.

If USM want to pay the going rate when it comes to sponsoring major premier league football clubs then they are allowed to do so, and it is entirely above board.

Chelsea have just signed a shirt sponsorship deal for 40 million pound a year. So that's the going rate.

Just remember that people with money will be making fortunes out of this crisis with shrewd investments. A once in a lifetime opportunity I seem to recall it being tabled as. Sure our 2 boys will have their snouts in the trough with the rest

Billionaires grasp opportunity during uncertain economic times like this. The type of projections that normal people logically make don’t apply to them. Usmanov might see an opportunity to finance a stadium whilst commodity prices are low and is as safe a bet as any that he will get a return on his money (which he will once crowds come back). Over the long term it still makes a lot of sense to build.

Pretty much. But that doesnt explain Why.

The ground will be the flagship building on a much wider dock development, roughly of brown field, (well brown dock) between the Liver Building and the ground.

Once a few twigged that was, or maybe is, the longer game in play, everything else has slotted into that picture.

Everton are the key to unlocking a lot of money.

It would seem something very dodgy money wise is going on but it's obviously far to intricate for a mere pleb like myself to have any idea at all what's going on and why?

It would seem something very dodgy money wise is going on but it's obviously far to intricate for a mere pleb like myself to have any idea at all what's going on and why?

When all is said and done, its two mates helping each out, ish.

Moshiri couldnt get his hands on Everton without selling his shares at Arsenal. Mate buys them.

Moshiri buys Everton with essentially the same money.

If we are right about the long game, (the docks), everything else makes perfect sense.

No the whole thing hinges on whether you're the owner. That's why they use the word 'owner' I think. You can't just decide that a business is making a poor commercial decision in offering a large amount for sponsorship and tell them not to do it, it's an unregulated environment.

If it looks like an outside sponsor isn't as "unrelated" as the club is making out (and with your owner and backer that's a grey area), then it can be investigated. We're talking about eligibility for UEFA (and PL) competitions...that is not an unregulated environment, anything but. Man City making out their Etihad deal isn't mates rates has got them into real trouble with UEFA. Of course, if the club doesn't care about competting in the CL, then go ahead...but to me it looks like you're taking a risky path in how this stadium is funded when it's unnecessary to do so.

If it looks like an outside sponsor isn't as "unrelated" as the club is making out (and with your owner and backer that's a grey area), then it can be investigated. We're talking about eligibility for UEFA (and PL) competitions...that is not an unregulated environment, anything but. Man City making out their Etihad deal isn't mates rates has got them into real trouble with UEFA. Of course, if the club doesn't care about competting in the CL, then go ahead...but to me it looks like you're taking a risky path when it's unecessary to do so.

Apparently, and I have no recollection how we know this, but before we announced that USM were paying £30m for first option on naming rights, we had already put it to the PL.

So £30m to be first in a non existent queue.

Apparently, and I have no recollection how we know this, but before we announced that USM were paying £30m for first option on naming rights, we had already put it to the PL.

I remember that too but then the media tried to make a story about the Premier League running the rule over the deal, however, they audit the accounts of all Premier League members every year.

Near enough.

Usmanov hasn't given a penny to Everton though. A company named USM has paid market value for a multifaceted sponsorship deal of a major premier league football club, which includes sponsorship of their training ground. A separate deal to have first refusal on naming rights of the proposed future new stadium has also been agreed.

USM has revenues of circa 6 billion dollars a year, and it is owned by Usmanov. Moshiri has some shares but no voting rights in USM.

USM owns companies left right and centre, with main investments in metals, mining industry, telecommunications, technology, and media.

If USM want to pay the going rate when it comes to sponsoring major premier league football clubs then they are allowed to do so, and it is entirely above board.

Chelsea have just signed a shirt sponsorship deal for 40 million pound a year. So that's the going rate.
Oh come on Dymak, even you must know there's dodgy stuff going on?

As for Chelsea getting £40 million a year for shirt sponsorship now becoming
"The going rate."
Companies pay millions of pounds to have their company name on football shirts because these teams are seen on tv all over the world, playing top grade football in European competitions and winning trophies. With respect mate, thats not Everton.
Trophyless Spurs would also not get Chelsea's £40 million.

I was talking about whatever the value of the actual naming rights deal turns out to be. But the first dibs thing was definitely a FFP fiddle; it was just about the right amount to cover the amount you needed to be FFP compliant that season, wasn't it? lol

I'll say this, Levy must be kicking himself we couldn't get a few tens of millions from a similar deal...not like him to miss out on that sort of thing. It's almost as if an actual market for first dibs for naming rights isn't really a thing! (I wouldn't be so cynical!)

Oh come on Dymak, even you must know there's dodgy stuff going on?

As for Chelsea getting £40 million a year for shirt sponsorship now becoming
"The going rate."
Companies pay millions of pounds to have their company name on football shirts because these teams are seen on tv all over the world, playing top grade football in European competitions and winning trophies. With respect mate, thats not Everton.
Trophyless Spurs would also not get Chelsea's £40 million.

Without doubt, Moshiri et al are pushing it.