UEFA proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're happy for there to be a superleague which we're not in, on the basis that it would make the remaining PL more competitive and give us a chance to win it, you might as well want us to get relegated because we could compete in the Championship. If we're not in the top competition on a weekly basis (and effectively have no way of changing it) then the club, and others like it, will dwindle and die.

If you're happy for there to be a superleague which we're not in, on the basis that it would make the remaining PL more competitive and give us a chance to win it, you might as well want us to get relegated because we could compete in the Championship. If we're not in the top competition on a weekly basis (and effectively have no way of changing it) then the club, and others like it, will dwindle and die.
Exactly this, we will going from having a chance to win Wimbledon to winning queens and then saying it's the same

Exactly this, we will going from having a chance to win Wimbledon to winning queens and then saying it's the same
If this super league is created then I presume the clubs involved will no longer be involved in domestic competition ?
Will the Super league be able to compensate them for all the revenue lost domestically ?

The league would contain most of the big European clubs but there would also be a lot of no hopes included.
I think after a while fans would start to cherry pick the games it would be worth going to and we could see lots of half empty stadia.
The European competition also have no hopers now but the get a chance to earn some extra money on top of their bread and butter earnings from the domestic competition where they are competitive and keep their fans satisfied with domestic silverware.

We shouldn't be surprised that UEFA have come up with this.....criminal if it actually happens...
  • How three-tier format would work
    • The Champions League would comprise of 32 teams and would initially be selected based on club domestic rankings in the previous four seasons (2020/21-2023/24)
    • Beyond the first season, it would only be possible to enter by reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League or winning a domestic league
    • The maxiumum country cap of five clubs remains
    • The Europa League would comprise of 32 teams and would also be seleced based on domestic rankings from the previous four seasons
    • Beyond the first season, it would only be possible to enter the Europa League by reaching the semi-finals of the new Europa Conference League or qualifying via domestic league position
    • The new Europa Conference League would comprise 64 teams and would be selected based on domestic league position

I only got four hours kip, so most of that might as well be in Greek, but I think I get the gist (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U great, everyone else corporate fodder)

Well, I actually say bring it. Anything to not have to play those turds again, or get shafted by rubbish ref decisions to pacify media darlings.

Hoping we get Villarreal for our first game of 2023/24 at Bramley Moore Cuckoo Land, then a week later, maybe we'll go into deepest Qarabag (ooh the champions of Azerbaijan! tasty!). Then back to BMD for our first Europa Conference League clash with Bohemians - our new "Irish Sea Derby" rivals.

Naturally they will be in a red change strip, and beat the holy crap out of us because of our jetlag, and Clive Thomas III being a total peenarse.

.....Still more realistic than completing the Premier League by July.

City fans will love this. They’ve not exactly embraced the C/L with half empty stadiums. This would have them playing in front of 10,000 or less.

Don’t know how powerful UEFA is or how it’s funded, but I can’t see the EPL being happy with anything that will lessen it’s appeal.

I’d like to see the EPL, La Liga, Budesliga etc.. get together & put UEFA back in there box!

If there’s anything good to come out of this Corona it will be a massive cut in air travel.

Bin the Champions League & return to the European Cup.
Champions only (plus last season’s winner).
No group stages, straight knock out.

Bin the Europa League & return to the Cup Winners Cup.
That would restore kudos & excitement in Cup comps.
No group stages, pure knock out.

Obviously, the greedy, corrupt spivs of EUEFA & FIFA will never volunteer for it.
Hopefully governments will force it.

I agree with bringing back the CWC as a purely knockout style competition.

I like format of the CL and EL, they just have far too many teams in it. They should both be 4 groups of 4, knockout stages begin at Quarterfinal stage.

Between this daft proposal and the arrogance of the PL with their plans to open during a global pandemic at the expense of lower league clubs .....do we need anymore evidence that the people running football couldn't be more out of touch with reality.
The PL clubs will be in just as much danger as the lower league ones if they wait until everything is all the way back to normal to pick it up.

I could be mistaken, but i'm sure i've seen it was the Original "Top 4", who were keen for a Euro League. I don't think Arsenal are for this method, but certain they wanted the licensing.
you could be right I was just wondering about this particular proposal.

It will end up being 6 permanent teams in European league and 3 in next tier down.
Cup winners will be in Europa 2 which will probably become a straight knockout competition.
Money men will win,presence of all the American owners who want NFL style security and greedy bugger's in UEFA/FIFA will eventually turn domestic leagues into after thoughts.

All new proposals are a load of nonsense whilst we're all crapping ourselves at mounting body bags.

Don’t know how powerful UEFA is or how it’s funded, but I can’t see the EPL being happy with anything that will lessen it’s appeal.

I’d like to see the EPL, La Liga, Budesliga etc.. get together & put UEFA back in there box!
I might be wrong, but I think UEFA is mostly opposed to it, and the real power brokers are the big clubs like Juve and Bayern who see the PL's popularity as a threat. Also Milan and other struggling "big" clubs see it as a divine right to play in Europe, so they're behind it. But the chances of other leagues joining up with the PL that is already kicking their backside is almost zero.

However if all the PL teams wanted to stay as one to save the competition they could. But on that front the "big 6" are already trying to leech more money from it, so it also looks unlikely.

The problem PL clubs will have, particularly those at the bottom end of 'the big 6' is that these proposals only allow a maximum of 5 clubs in the competition. So, at least, one will miss out and potential detriment themselves for a significant period of time

I agree with bringing back the CWC as a purely knockout style competition.

I like format of the CL and EL, they just have far too many teams in it. They should both be 4 groups of 4, knockout stages begin at Quarterfinal stage.

I hate group stages in any comp. Europa, CL, WC..., but if they have to have them, they should never be bigger than 3 teams. Any more just creates dead rubbers. Group stages are just about squeezing the pips out. Greed.

I might be wrong, but I think UEFA is mostly opposed to it, and the real power brokers are the big clubs like Juve and Bayern who see the PL's popularity as a threat. Also Milan and other struggling "big" clubs see it as a divine right to play in Europe, so they're behind it. But the chances of other leagues joining up with the PL that is already kicking their backside is almost zero.

However if all the PL teams wanted to stay as one to save the competition they could. But on that front the "big 6" are already trying to leech more money from it, so it also looks unlikely.

Well let’s hope the EPL takes a hard stance & tells them if they want to go, they’re gone!

The PL clubs will be in just as much danger as the lower league ones if they wait until everything is all the way back to normal to pick it up.

I'm not proposing that they have to wait until things are all the way back to normal ....but a June start up while the pandemic is still out of control all in the name of the PL brand / TV money is crazy. Its all about health and safety at this point not who is at the top or bottom of the table. A measured thought out return to sport is what is needed. A rush to get matches in will likely lead to increased cases and a return to lockdown scenarios. There are lots of things that need to inch their way back to normal before football. When it is time ...I'd still expect closed -door matches / fixture alterations etc....but it seems to be forced for the wrong reasons currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.