UEFA proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money, money, money.... the top leagues are starting to stink.... going to start following lower league football more. I hope after this worldwide horror we’re all going through hits home and football slashes the amount of money is being thrown around. Ridiculous wages and take overs at premier league clubs, football needs a reality check. This UEFA plan is just another money making scheme for the rich and it just stinks

I think it maybe time for a new governing body of European to be set up. UEFA is nothing but a corrupt organisation that is run by a handful of clubs.

There are far more clubs outside of their ‘elite’ with huge fan bases and could take on any of these clubs without UEFA’s restrictions.

I wish... UEFA isn't going anywhere bc they're so corrupt... on the other hand what if the current crisis and in turn economic downfall crushes UEFA's bottom line/assets (its a stretch I know)

Can’t see it.

As it stands United, Arsenal would be out. Arsenal are supposedly the team pushing for this the most, there’s no way their suggestion would be lacking in insurance that they’d get to play in it.

What if the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, Real or Barça have a blip and don’t qualify? They’re stuck in the Europa or lower for 4 years?

If they do it, they’ll do it like they do in the NRL in Australia and just have plain licensing where they can cherry pick their teams.

Can’t see it.

As it stands United, Arsenal would be out. Arsenal are supposedly the team pushing for this the most, there’s no way their suggestion would be lacking in insurance that they’d get to play in it.

What if the likes of Bayern, Dortmund, Real or Barça have a blip and don’t qualify? They’re stuck in the Europa or lower for 4 years?

If they do it, they’ll do it like they do in the NRL in Australia and just have plain licensing where they can cherry pick their teams.

Up the rabbitohs hahaha

We shouldn't be surprised that UEFA have come up with this.....criminal if it actually happens...

"In the recently published 61-page document, which details some of the uncertainties the organisation faces, the FA confirms that under new proposals, which could come into force by 2024, the initial 32-team Champions League would be chosen based on a club’s domestic rankings of the previous four seasons, currently from 2020/21-2023/24.

Beyond that, however, clubs would only qualify for the Champions League by reaching the last four of the newly-formatted 32-team Europa League, or “winning a domestic league”, the report says."

• How three-tier format would work
    • The Champions League would comprise of 32 teams and would initially be selected based on club domestic rankings in the previous four seasons (2020/21-2023/24)
    • Beyond the first season, it would only be possible to enter by reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League or winning a domestic league
    • The maxiumum country cap of five clubs remains
    • The Europa League would comprise of 32 teams and would also be seleced based on domestic rankings from the previous four seasons
    • Beyond the first season, it would only be possible to enter the Europa League by reaching the semi-finals of the new Europa Conference League or qualifying via domestic league position
    • The new Europa Conference League would comprise 64 teams and would be selected based on domestic league position
Off you go then...:bye:

Can’t see it.

This is where it is going to end up. For awhile they'll keep trying to push some plan with some very limited type of pro/rel system that all the clubs not invited still oppose, but at some point they'll get tired and just withdraw from their leagues and create some kind of franchise system. I think they'll then try to claim some kind of moral high ground by saying they wanted to work with and include more clubs, but that those teams weren't willing to play ball as if the system wasn't massively stacked against them beyond what it is now.

How they round out that system will be interesting. Because right now there is more football appetite than a 20 team European League would provide. So I'd imagine they'd want to put teams in cities that are massive markets but don't have huge clubs. Berlin come to mind, where Hertha is the biggest club but not a CL or even EL regular, as one where they'd almost certainly want a team, but would have to decide if they wanted to simply add Hertha and give them the money to compete or have some rich scumbag buy in and have his own franchise to run out of Berlin. Along those lines I'd actually think teams with huge local followings that would jack up TV ratings in some unexpected places would be candidates to be a part. Teams like Celtic, Rangers, Porto, Benfica, Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Zenit could all be considered just due to the followings they have in place. The key would then be making them competitive but that could happen in time.

It's kind of terrible to think about because it is going to cut out a lot of what was the soul of football that made it the most popular game in the world for a solid 150 years. When you look at America, the kings of the franchise system, you'll see that the guard has changed. Baseball was the top, it lost out to the NFL somewhere around the mid 80s or so, and now baseball is third behind basketball too. Football is life so many places that it is hard to see that happening to it, but it has also never moved to alienate so many in a boundless crusade to make as much money as possible. One key is going to be a salary cap. Baseball never adding one has made things get stale far to often and it will happen with football if Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG, Man City, Barcelona, Man United and the couple other teams with excessive buying power play their cards right.

Can’t see it.

is there a link to this , I have read the only article about this in the Mirror and it doesn't mention Arsenal being the one pushing it,

So the European Champions League (the greatest misnomer ever) could theoretically end up with all 32 competitors coming from their domestic lower leagues?

As I’ve said before they would all expect to win a super league, none of them would come bottom or even be scratching around mid-table. It wouldn’t be long before the shine wore off

If there’s anything good to come out of this Corona it will be a massive cut in air travel.

Bin the Champions League & return to the European Cup.
Champions only (plus last season’s winner).
No group stages, straight knock out.

Bin the Europa League & return to the Cup Winners Cup.
That would restore kudos & excitement in Cup comps.
No group stages, pure knock out.

Obviously, the greedy, corrupt spivs of EUEFA & FIFA will never volunteer for it.
Hopefully governments will force it.

This is the completely against everything sport is meant to be. It is the current top teams shutting the door on development.
It is already a stacked game when the majority of the money goes to them that already have to protect themselves against other clubs coming forward to challenge the "elite".
In England we know how hard it is to mount a challenge on the top six. This will only make that task harder. If this happens I can see a time when these European squads are even more bloated than they are now, we will have international level players signed to clubs with no chance of getting a game but preventing them from playing for another club that might challenge for the top. Can you imagine the pressure which would be brought to bear on referees to give "the right decision". You only have to look at what happens today to see how corrupt it would become.
This would finally do away with any idea that football is a sport and not simply a business.
Supporters need to stop and think about what it is they get from football, is it enough for a Man. Utd. Supporter from New York to be able to walk about in the latest shirt and say we qualified for Europe. Some feel that is enough but it isn't. It shouldn't be enough to claim you have gained something when the dice are stacked in your favour as it would be with this proposal.
The game is already stacked but those in charge at least pay lip service to it not being so. This proposal would do away with that and simply say we are keeping it all for ourselves.

Cant see the league accepting it the top clubs may but rest no chance with the prem making so much money no way they want to accept this

is there a link to this , I have read the only article about this in the Mirror and it doesn't mention Arsenal being the one pushing it,

I could be mistaken, but i'm sure i've seen it was the Original "Top 4", who were keen for a Euro League. I don't think Arsenal are for this method, but certain they wanted the licensing.

Good. Let it happen. If football for the rest of us loses all it’s fake glitz and glamour, the endemic bias to certain teams and a lot of the money that’s ruined it then poorer quality (but real) football is a small price to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.