Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was great in about 6 games in total. He cost £45m, and has performed “well” in about 10 games in his Everton career. There’s your value for money right there.

He scored 14 goals and 7 assists. Joint top scorer from midfield.

No ones saying it’s value for money. We’re saying he’s a long way off the worst player in everton history - keep up, not difficult.

Reading all the comments about bad signings.

Sadly the most damning statistic is that Richarlison, Digne (who has had a poor void season) and Bernard are the only really good purchases. Gomes has played well in parts.

The rest have been terrible for the outlay.
Some are laughably bad. Klaassen, Bolasie, Martina, Sandro and Tosun have resembled fans on the pitch. Williams, Shneiderlin, Keane and Sigurdsson have all fallen into this mode too.

The best players currently are Richarlison and then DCL and Holgate. 2 players picked up for nominal fees from lower leagues.

I am not sure why we have ended up with so many wasters. Kean, Iwobi and the injured Gbamin have contributed sod all too.

This has to change. I look forward to the void being declared, and we can rebuild this mess with a clean slate.
Can I ask why you think this? Because I personally have seen the same player as last season with the only difference being a lack of stunning goals. But I don't see a LB failing to score screamers as being enough to say he had a poor year.

Also of course I'd say Bernard is far from the good signing bucket, but he was free so he can't really be bad either. Gomes is definitely good because he's going to be a fixture in the team for a solid five years even if he is only average. And the jury is still out on a lot of players. Mina, Kean, Iwobi and Gbamin could all go either way still.

Richarlison, DCL and Holgate (debatably) being among our best players says it all though. We need to be signing players who can grow. Otherwise we are going to sign players who start not good enough and stay not good enough.

No ones saying it’s value for money. We’re saying he’s a long way off the worst player in everton history - keep up, not difficult.

his entire career is based off stats that allow posts like this, the fact that’s hes an absolute [Poor language removed] who hides and only contributes every 10 games

horrendous player

his entire career is based off stats that allow posts like this, the fact that’s hes an absolute [Poor language removed] who hides and only contributes every 10 games

horrendous player
Gylfi's problem is all in his label. The guy was a forward, either a striker or some kind of left side or central forward that played off a main striker, and somehow he became labeled as a midfielder. But he never got involved in the game outside of the attacking third to be a midfielder.

Last season when no matter what anyone says now he was pretty good everyone was saying he was our #10. But he wasn't really. We were playing closer to the 4-4-2 we have now with Gylfi and DCL as a partnership. No one realized it at the time but that's what it was. And when viewing it as the season of a forward it wasn't half bad.

This season we went into it trying to make him a midfielder and he's predictably terrible at it.

horrendous player

Exactly, people say it was ‘from midfield’, he spent that entire first season under Silva playing upfront often as the furthers man forward. He had no defensive responsibility, no involvement in the build up, his whole remit was just ‘float around doing nothing and see if you get on the end of anything’. To add to that he got every penalty kick and most set pieces as well.

Ancelotti has shown him up for the fraud he is by asking him to actually try and play football and he’s failed abysmally. Terrible player.

Well obviously he isn’t the worst player in our history, but that isn’t what you said, you said “he was great last season”, which is wrong.

Read an article that Ancelotti is after 5 players in the summer

CB - Gabriel Magalhaes
DM - Allan
CB / DM - Teun Koopmeiners
RW - Cengiz Under
LW - Hirving Lozano

None have played Premier league before so, all are a risk, but on paper at least I think that would be an alright window. But we would probably have to still shift a few out like; Schniederlin and Sigurdsson to get them off the wage bill.
Personally I think we need a right back, I know jonjo is coming back from Schalke, but I'm not convinced he is capable of being our first choice Right Back

CB - Gabriel Magalhaes
DM - Allan
RW - Cengiz Under
LW - Hirving Lozano

None have played Premier league before so, all are a risk, but on paper at least I think that would be an alright window. But we would probably have to still shift a few out like; Schniederlin and Sigurdsson to get them off the wage bill.
Personally I think we need a right back, I know jonjo is coming back from Schalke, but I'm not convinced he is capable of being our first choice Right Back
I think a right back is a certainty. I like the first 3 on the list, not the last 2 so much. Haven’t seen much of Under, but it seems like Roma want rid, which is not a great sign

And Lozano, Brands said he was worth about 20mil at best. Napoli paid nearly 40 and he’s basically flopped in Italy. So I can’t really see us interested in him.

Gylfi's problem is all in his label. The guy was a forward, either a striker or some kind of left side or central forward that played off a main striker, and somehow he became labeled as a midfielder. But he never got involved in the game outside of the attacking third to be a midfielder.

Last season when no matter what anyone says now he was pretty good everyone was saying he was our #10. But he wasn't really. We were playing closer to the 4-4-2 we have now with Gylfi and DCL as a partnership. No one realized it at the time but that's what it was. And when viewing it as the season of a forward it wasn't half bad.

This season we went into it trying to make him a midfielder and he's predictably terrible at it.

he has, and always will be, crap and overrated by moneyball fans

CB - Gabriel Magalhaes
DM - Allan
RW - Cengiz Under
LW - Hirving Lozano

Yeah we're not signing two DMs without signing a RB this summer/whenever a window opens

I remember watching him play as a striker away at Lyon and my eyes still haven’t recovered from it.

Jesus Christ, remember that

no he wasn’t great at all, but he scored 13 goals, which is a very decent return and to argue against that would be mental.

This is the problem with using stats as a measure of a player's contribution though, I'm talking specifically about how many games he has affected for us. Him scoring 13 goals doesn't mean he played well in 13 games. There are games in which he was utterly abysmal, part of a terrible team performance in which we got completely outplayed, but scored a consolation goal. That doesn't go down as one of his good games for me.

This is the problem with using stats as a measure of a player's contribution though, I'm talking specifically about how many games he has affected for us. Him scoring 13 goals doesn't mean he played well in 13 games. There are games in which he was utterly abysmal, part of a terrible team performance in which we got completely outplayed, but scored a consolation goal. That doesn't go down as one of his good games for me.

I think we could go into that for ages, remember there was a narrative by many that we wouldn't miss Lukaku because many of his goals in 2016/17 were never the 'decisive' goal/s, mostly goals that added to our lead.

That said, Sigurdsson has been utterly anonymous this season, even forgetting goals and assists, just a hologram in the centre of the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.