Old Everton Pictures

My older brother states he was hard, and tough, Leeds made him a dirty player ...,he was never that dirty playing in blue ......
Every team seemed to have a hard player in the 60s. I watched highli guy ta of leeds chelsea cup final repl8 in 1970. Some of the tackles there were crazy. Think most of these tough players would have been sent off every week nowadays

...very good insight. Collins’ tackle in the first minutes of the 1965 FA Cup Final still makes me whince.
Yes the Leeds way - the tackckle by willie bell on Temple at Goodison was the one wher the fans almost rioted temple ending up against the goodison road wall in the battle of Goodison park v Leeds - all down to Mr Revie - they were animals who could play apart from Jack Charlton who was a conventional yard dog centre half ......that clip is light humoured to see them they went over the top in tackles too often imo.....

Yes the Leeds way - the tackckle by willie bell on Temple at Goodison was the one wher the fans almost rioted temple ending up against the goodison road wall in the battle of Goodison park v Leeds - all down to Mr Revie - they were animals who could play apart from Jack Charlton who was a conventional yard dog centre half ......that clip is light humoured to see them they went over the top in tackles too often imo.....
Interesting that they said everton was one of the most intimidating grounds. And when they were leaving goodison on the coach the police advised they lie on the floor and soon rocks were smashing the windows. wonder if this was after the battle of goodison or just a regular feature in the 60s and 70s

A
...cheers, really enjoyed that. Alex Young the epitome of a player ‘looking like he’s wearing carpet slippers’, such was his touch and graceful movement. The nutmeg leading up to the first goal on an icy pitch, he appears a player ahead of his time.

The more I see of Young in these clips, the more I appreciate him even though I was fortunate to see him. The goal he scored in that 3-1 win v United was truly magnificent by the standard of any era.
Yes, Young was capable of that other level which separates the great from the very good. But I have to confess that it's Vernon who rises most in my estimation. What a clinical finisher. Such economy & precision. Wow.

Agreed. Too much late, nasty stuff. Pity, because as we all know, they could play.

Hunter on Kendall

Interesting that they said everton was one of the most intimidating grounds. And when they were leaving goodison on the coach the police advised they lie on the floor and soon rocks were smashing the windows. wonder if this was after the battle of goodison or just a regular feature in the 60s and 70s
No that was the only game nearly abandoned for dirty play.....

A

Yes, Young was capable of that other level which separates the great from the very good. But I have to confess that it's Vernon who rises most in my estimation. What a clinical finisher. Such economy & precision. Wow.

...that goal scoring analysis thread I did really surprised me regarding Vernon. His goal ratio is extraordinary, the first goal from the clip you posted against Wolves illustrates what a sweet striker of a ball he was.

...cheers, really enjoyed that. Alex Young the epitome of a player ‘looking like he’s wearing carpet slippers’, such was his touch and graceful movement. The nutmeg leading up to the first goal on an icy pitch, he appears a player ahead of his time.

The more I see of Young in these clips, the more I appreciate him even though I was fortunate to see him. The goal he scored in that 3-1 win v United was truly magnificent by the standard of any era.
Great ball in for Wignalls first too Eggs,looked strange him wearing number eleven too:)

Oh Terry mate....
CBAE8B0A-F494-435F-9141-DBD60359D19D.jpeg
3852BE4E-78E4-4434-AFC5-AABFD5E0A552.jpeg