your favourite 21st-Century moments

What's your favourite 21st-Century moment?

• Moyes: "we're the People's Club"

• 16-year old Rooney vs Arsenal

• Dunc's header vs Man U

• Securing 4th ahead of RS in 2005

• The AJ derby

• 7-1

• Fiorentina

• Fellaini bewildering Bellamy

• 5-3 vs Blackpool

• pen shootout in 2009 cup semi

• Jelavic slotting for fun

• Gosling derby goal

• Hibbert scores! sort of

• Wolfsburg away

• Oviedo vs Man Utd

• Pienaar lobbing Almunia

• Lukaku's world-class goal vs Chelsea

• Jags smashing it top corner in the derby

• 4-0 vs Man City

• something else (tell us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dholliday

deconstructed rep
As a counter to the Disappointments thread, what's been the biggest reason to cheer our Everton these last 20 years? Forget the bit where it inevitably ended in disappointment, this is about those moments where it all feels magical. It might be a single goal, or match, or period.

Mine is a bit leftfield, the entire 5-3 vs Blackpool. Proper old-school football match that. It had everything and reminded me why I love football, and Everton. Fiorentina gets an entry here while also having one in the Disappointments poll, as it was an immense effort to beat them on the field 2-0 after losing 0-2 in the away leg. Felt so proud of them despite the pens loss.

Mine is a bit leftfield, the entire 5-3 vs Blackpool. Proper old-school football match that. It had everything and reminded me why I love football, and Everton. Fiorentina gets an entry here while also having one in the Disappointments poll, as it was an immense effort to beat them on the field 2-0 after losing 0-2 in the away leg. Felt so proud of them despite the pens loss.

And that is why we are a 'small club' at worst and 'plucky everton/sleeping giant' at best. Reminds me of the time I got a 'most improved' award in Chemistry. I was shocking at first, below even the lads who never turned up and got stoned at lunch, and about lower-mid Brighton territory by the end. Still godawful but good enough to average a C grade.

Flock that, I wanna win stuff.... and on a more personal level show those smart ass lads in my form that I have more fight and tenacity in my little finger than the rest of em put together... stick yer 12 A*s, what good are they now eh eh?

Sorry, bit carried away there. For the record, I went finishing 4th in 05.... really thought we were on to something, and it was miraculous in the context. But if James freaking Beattie is your marquee signing, Villarreal, Milan (or any other hot-balled team in Collina's pocket) will have you for breakfast.

Gosling and Ovideo runners up.

Last edited:
Bit embarrassing so many going for Jags in the Derby, we drew???
The Gosling one was better.
Oviedo for me.

Agree with that. Weirdly my stream froze at the moment the ball was flying. Ungodly timing. 5 minutes later it came back. I couldn't celebrate because of that, also because the previous 90 minutes had been awful, really awful.

I did celebrate wildly when Rooney slotted the pen during Big Sam's first derby, as I thought I could whiff victory. pfff

Status
Not open for further replies.