Goodison in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.
He either had no sense of smell or a very liberal attitude towards cannabis, as some of those away day specials were like a smoke chamber and he never ever nicked anyone.
Think he just policed for the kick offs,plenty of times he would be at the forefront when it went off,tended to stick to the ordinarys for games there was more freedom to enjoy the day out

An evil evil place the boys pen! Went in once and never again - the gangs in Peaky Blinders or The Sopranos are innocent little angels compared to those that “ran” the boys pen :(:(:(!
I posted a short while back of being relieved of my five pack of Woodbine and my bus fare back into town. They never took my bus and boat return for the ferry though. I thought coming from Rock Ferry I could look after myself but I was a lone prey to the pack of wolves in there. Once was enough.

When they extended the roof in the Street End late eighties, the acoustics went up a notch or two and stopped the stampede to the rear upper terraces when it started pissing down.

I was in the street end that night. The crowd was only just over 10000 with its said 3000 rangers in the park end but there was more than that. Think most blues stayed away because they had a drunken reputation. A rangers lad streaked on the pitch and the coppers manhandled him off. This caused trouble in the park end. Saw a rangers forum were they said there was a big fight in our end which cleared it. But I saw nothing like that although the street end was pretty empty anyway apart from were everyone gathered to sing. When the match ended we were going down the stairs at the back and a few blues at the bottom starting shouting rangers. Caused a bit of a panic until everyone realised they were everton fans messing around. Lived in Scotland road at the time and there was some trouble. Local estates bricking rangers fans on the way back to town. Saw loads of drunken rangers fans and most were middle aged men. 2 coaches on great homer street were attacked and loads of windows smashed. These 2 had been there about 3 days with the rangers fans drinking in local pubs.
Most of the rangers fans who were arrested came from a town called corby in Northamptonshire. Seems that a large group of glaswegians moved there to work in the steel works.
There wasnt any fight at all in the St End , as you say,
3 jocks did come in at 3/4 time , all the kids ran away that was what was mostly in the pretty empty end, hence the myth about the St end getting took, even the kids ran back up
once a couple of the older Everton lads, saw what was going on and legged the Rangers down the stairs at the back and up the stairs towards the St End upper, the jocks got caught and got a hiding , that was the only fight , the jocks didnt throw a dig the whole time they were in the St End, i was standing yards from were it happened.
I was only a kid myself at the time, my bother who is a RS came up to the ground to find me to make sure i got home ok, as soon as we got by the church a local loon( same fella that stabbed the Millwall in the ST End by the boys pen) hit some rangers fella with what looked like a hatchet or something it made a right mess of him .
I along with my brother and mate ran home to Walton road double quick time.
My mate joey knocked about 15 minutes later and we sneeked out to have a mooch about there was murder everywhere, The local area gangs were out in force picking any jocks off, lambert road, opposite where the rotunda gym is now, they gave a load of them a right hiding.
Ended up heading home and just as i got the top of are road , who comes out the pub taking all comers on but my dad and his mates out of the local ( he didnt even like footy , he was into boxing) , jocks any local daft enough to get in the way where getting hammerd.
no wonder i grew up daft:(

Last edited:

Cheers for the responses on the blue wall. It did look pretty cool, but unfortunately there was often very few people in the lower terrace apart from the big games. It’s a shame they didn’t replace it with a steep two tier end to keep the character.

Wouldn't have ever thought the 'blue wall' (first time i've ever heard that) was a cool thing. Would have much rather had the double decker stand as below but by the time I started going it was bricked up. Safety reasons. Total shame they didn't build a proper double decker in 94. #lacked ambition

PE.jpg

There was him,flatnose and the Walrus,remember Blackbeards van getting tipped after a Chelsea game
Didn't mind walrus, was he handlebars as well?
He could talk to you at least, knew the score and was hard but fair.
Told me off outside the parkend one time , punk days, I had a sort of Hitler youth look going on , blond hair , brown shirt, leather belt going across ect, and an iron cross, he called me over said what are you son, a punk ?
Erm yes , well you look very smart but take the medal off you havnt earned it, now you and you mates behave yourself's today , I will be looking out for you, the look said it all.
Dont think I moved most of the game convinced he was looking at me just me waiting to smack with that stick, it bleeding didn't half hurt that thing.
Blackbeard I couldn't stand.
Did only liverpool coppers have those long sticks dont recall any others around the country having them.
The parkend got bricked up because of the wooden terraces at the back as a safety thing, although it was getting out of hand underneath for a good while before that.

Didn't mind walrus, was he handlebars as well?
He could talk to you at least, knew the score and was hard but fair.
Told me off outside the parkend one time , punk days, I had a sort of Hitler youth look going on , blond hair , brown shirt, leather belt going across ect, and an iron cross, he called me over said what are you son, a punk ?
Erm yes , well you look very smart but take the medal off you havnt earned it, now you and you mates behave yourself's today , I will be looking out for you, the look said it all.
Dont think I moved most of the game convinced he was looking at me just me waiting to smack with that stick, it bleeding didn't half hurt that thing.
Blackbeard I couldn't stand.
Did only liverpool coppers have those long sticks dont recall any others around the country having them.
Yeah they were the same Walrus/Handlebars,same I dont remember anywhere else having those sticks or any other force that actually enjoyed wading in like they did

Yeah they were the same Walrus/Handlebars,same I dont remember anywhere else having those sticks or any other force that actually enjoyed wading in like they did
Sure they had lead in them , if you took a knock off one you knew about it, dead heavy hurt like hell.
Baton nothing like as bad.
They were deffo the hardest coppers towards fans I have ever come across, thought nothing of giving you a good hiding for just being there.
Coppers down south soft a hell compared to them , over the years them must have batterd more footy fans than any gang in the country.

Sure they had lead in them , if you took a knock off one you knew about it, dead heavy hurt like hell.
Baton nothing like as bad.
Dont know mate,but left me with a dead leg or arm a few times,when they started lashing out there were no innocent people in their eyes

Dont know mate,but left me with a dead leg or arm a few times,when they started lashing out there were no innocent people in their eyes
When were you innocent, let's face it we deserved it most of the time
All joking apart they did not give a toss , if you were in the way you were getting it ,plain and simple and getting it twice if you complained about the first time.
There would be mass compo claims going in these days if it happened.

When were you innocent, let's face it we deserved it most of the time
All joking apart they did not give a toss , if you were in the way you were getting it ,plain and simple and getting it twice if you complained about the first time.
There would be mass compo claims going in these days if it happened.
It was mainly 70s they cracked skulls,that wall went up the season 78/79 didnt it?

It was mainly 70s they cracked skulls,that wall went up the season 78/79 didnt it?
Dont know mate will have been around that time , something about fire safety,
Most of us were going in the bullens rd or the paddock a bit later on by that time anyway.
Something that has been in my mind for a bit, can you recall if the season ticket just said ground on it and you could go either end or either side on it.
I might be getting mixed up. But sure at one time you could move about, couldn't see them giving out parkend season tickets anyway?

Most of us were going in the bullens rd or the paddock a bit later on by that time anyway.
Something that has been in my mind for a bit, can you recall if the season ticket just said ground on it and you could go either end or either side on it.
I might be getting mixed up. But sure at one time you could move about, couldn't see them giving out parkend season tickets anyway?
I honestly couldnt say mate,as most of the time it was just pay on the gate,one of my uncles had a ground season ticket and I know he would use different ends,but I couldnt say if he sold his ticket or used it in both parts

I had a Park End ground ticket early 80s, you would go in either side of the divide depending on how many the away side had brought with them. Had to go in the St End for Utd, City and the RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.