Stoke fan here in peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are just like other clubs of your size. You are a welcome novelty at first, then you start giving it the big one because you manage to finish 9th once or twice, and then you inevitably get relegated and spend the next couple of seasons fighting relegation to League One.

You are just like other clubs of your size. You are a welcome novelty at first, then you start giving it the big one because you manage to finish 9th once or twice, and then you inevitably get relegated and spend the next couple of seasons fighting relegation to League One.
Sums it up nicely.

Aalways liked going to Stoke. Mainly that it was easy to get to from liverpool In the 70s(when I first started to go to away matches) we used to take thousands there. Now and again had a bit of trouble walking back to the station from the Victoria ground. Usually a few stoke would show themselves and then we would charge them and they would disappear. The Victoria was a proper old ground and as usual it was an open end for away supporters.
Never considered them as rivals but enjoyed going there
Hated going to the new ground with pullis in charge. You knew the game would be a battle but it was great when we won. Dont think much of the new ground very basic. But the crowd is very passionate now more than I remember in the 70s. And it seems that you have a few idiots who want to fight with you. Do a lot of shouting but not much else.
All in all dont mind stoke at all. Easy place for us to get too like Burnley. Beats going to Brighton Southampton etc

Hello folks – Stoke fan here in peace.

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?

1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?

1. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?

1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?

1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

If you can be arsed, thanks for your time.

Take care of yourselves,
Lee Hawthorne @ORFYDUCKMAG

You probably need cheering up after wading through most of the above:

I work on the ‘Duck’ fanzine and I’m planning a different type of article for our next issue – out whenever something approaching normal matchdays return to our lives once more.

I aim to ask supporters of several clubs 5 questions about their perceptions of Stoke City in order a to create a big feature article “Us and Them.” For the following questions, feel free to answer in varied depth/ brevity but a couple of sentences at least for each is ideal:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?
  1. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?
  1. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories?
  1. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?

Given our reputation over the years, this could be a risk but then again, it would be great if I could glean a diverse range of honest/ diverse/ cutting/ funny/ serious or even complimentary views.

Take care of yourselves,
I always said stoke would win the league if they were allowed play every game at home on cold wet Wednesday nights.

Take care of yourselves,

You remind me a lot of Sunderland

....my response:

1) Stoke as a club: Sorry, but i think ugly football and the quote ‘but can you go to Stoke in a cold Monday night’. Stoke survived in their own way, but got relegated in the end. Sad really, when i think of the team that won the League Cup, and players like Gordon Banks and Stanley Matthews.

2) Stoke players: As an old fella, I‘m fortunate enough to remember Banks and George Eastham. Paul Bracewell and Adrian Heath are true legends here.

3) Stoke Games: I recall going the Victoria Ground and I liked it. I think it was a 1-1 draw and Chamberlain scored for Stoke.

4) Stoke Support: I think voiciforous and loyal. It’s sad when teams like Stoke drop, but it’s happened to clubs like Forest and Villa and we have come perilously close ourselves. It’s a tough old existence.

Last edited:
  1. Generally how do you see Stoke City the club – a rival? Non-entity? Certain type of club? Disdain? Admiration? Pity?! As a fixture – is it of general appeal?No "real"rivalry, got a bit tasty when Pulis was in charge but I think he developed a "siege"mentality against everybody!!! Always Handy for a little away day!!
  2. Are there any Stoke players/ teams that have made an impression on you over the years?Remember Gordon Banks and Shilton from when I was a kid,Alan Hudson in Midfield,Denis Smith at the back,John Ritchie up front, they were a decent side back then.
  3. Are there matches between your team and Stoke you recall hating/ loving?1984 FA Cup 3rd round,set us on our way to a glorious era,1985 at the Victoria Ground on the title run in, we had 12/15000 there that day,Inchy scoring a screamer for Stoke at Goodison in Gordon Lees last game,Kenwynne Bloody Jones on New Years Day at the Brittania a few years back!!
  4. In home / away matches, what have you made of the Stoke support? Any particular memories? Usually quite vocal at home, pretty poor numbers for such a short distance away whenever they come to our place though.
  5. The Victoria Ground/ The New One – what did/ do you make our of our home ground(s)’ the grounds? Any particular experiences or impressions?Preferred the Victoria Ground,the Britannia is pretty much an identikit late 1990s build to Pride Park,the Riverside etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.