Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags was the best defender in the league before his knee injury.

I would be over the moon to find another CH as good as he was in 2008.
I love Jags but 2008 was the peak of Vidic and Ferdinand and Terry were still great too. So best in the league is probably a bit of hyperbole although he was quite good for a spell. But he was never the dominant defender who pushes a team up to the next level.

I love Jags but 2008 was the peak of Vidic and Ferdinand and Terry were still great too. So best in the league is probably a bit of hyperbole although he was quite good for a spell. But he was never the dominant defender who pushes a team up to the next level.

At that time, Ferdinand and Vidic were rightly acclaimed as the best centre back pairing in the league. Second best were Jagielka and Lescott.., well until Man City stepped in for Lescott.

At that time, Ferdinand and Vidic were rightly acclaimed as the best centre back pairing in the league. Second best were Jagielka and Lescott.., well until Man City stepped in for Lescott.
Right but City stepping in for Lescott and not Jagielka further suggests Jags probably wasn't the best CB in the league.

I'm not saying Jagielka wasn't a great player for us. But I don't think he was ever the best in the league and I would like for us to aim a bit higher for someone who can really shut down a team and not just be solid when everyone else around him is also solid.

Wave £130m at Lille for Gabriel LCB, Soumare DM, Ikone RW/AM, Osimhen FW/ST.

RB will be Coleman plus 1, could be Sidibie or Kenny, if neither I'd prob go for Bogle at Derby to add a HG player.

Sell lots, all the dross currently out on loan, Keane, Sig, Schnid, Lossil, release Niasse and Martina.

Right but City stepping in for Lescott and not Jagielka further suggests Jags probably wasn't the best CB in the league.

I'm not saying Jagielka wasn't a great player for us. But I don't think he was ever the best in the league and I would like for us to aim a bit higher for someone who can really shut down a team and not just be solid when everyone else around him is also solid.

Hmm, not sure who was the best, just know they made a great pairing, Lescott, more the traditional centre back, better in the air, decent on the deck. Jagielka, faster defender, there for when the attacker burst through.
As I say, Lescott was the type City needed at that stage, who knows. Both defenders had differing strengths and weaknesses, but they both definitely worked well with each other.

See mentions of Coutinho - he'd be an incredible signing. Not sure the reasons behind some believing he's not good enough for us, bollocks to that, he goes straight in as our best player. However, the realist in me knows that this is very, very unlikely.

Also if it comes to paying £12m for Sidibe or saving that and keeping Kenny on then the latter is the more sensible option.

You seriously think we are going to convince Bale to to take a £3-400k a week pay cut to come here? Or Coutinho to leave Barcelona for us over a United, Chelsea, City etc?
You’re being pretty selective with your argument there. What exactly makes Gabriel or Soares so unrealistic?
Sure, most links are totally fabricated but you never know.

No good club will be looking at Coutinho, hes a truly horrific player.
I actually thought he was doing pretty well at Bayern but they gave up on him it seems.

He'd be our best winger immediately. If he was cheap we would be absolutely mad to say no so we can play Bernard or Iwobi every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.