Transfer Rumour James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the ridiculous outside chance he actually joined us im sure how he’d fit into 442 unless he played second striker behind Calvert Lewin and Richarlison went on one of the wings. Equally given that we’ve got no decent wide players at all he coild play the Kaka role in a midfield diamond. He’d still immediately be our best player, people forget how good he was. He just got lost in a Madrid team that needed to play 433 to suit Bale and Ronaldo whereas he had no natural position in that and so had to fight with Isco for time off the bench. If Ronaldo hadn’t have been around, the team might have been built around James playing off the striker and he might have been one of the best in the world now.

The point I'd make with this, is he played 2nd fiddle to a peak Bale and peak Ronaldo. I think he replaced Xisco (who oddly I felt might be the sort of marquee signing we might have made when Moshiri initially arrived).

Didn't Ancelotti sign him for Madrid and Bayern?

Either way, if Ancelotti fancies him, and gets him close to his best, he's our best player by some distance. 2 years ago we probably have a similar discussion re Gomes, who James is much better than.Failing at a world class team doesn't make you a bad player. I'm not Gomes's biggest fan, but he's our best central midfielder by a mile.

Don’t think Carlo fancies either Bernard or Iwobi.

I love Bernard and the way he plays but he doesn’t do it away from home at all.
He hardly does it at home either. At least not enough to make up for it.

My guess is he will have a short list of players he feels he has to keep and build around. The rest will be shuffled as necessary.

I don’t think some gigantic marquee signing that’s going to drain a lot of our finite resources is the way to go for where we are as a club. Look at the improvement Leicester have made year on year by signing good youngsters and developing them into a team. Their Marquee signing is Tielemans who they paid less for than we did Sigurdsson.

I don’t think some gigantic marquee signing that’s going to drain a lot of our finite resources is the way to go for where we are as a club. Look at the improvement Leicester have made year on year by signing good youngsters and developing them into a team. Their Marquee signing is Tielemans who they paid less for than we did Sigurdsson.
Yes Leicester have done well, but they haven’t improved year on year. After they won the league we finished above them the following 3 years. With poor buys and 3 different managers.

Rodgers is a good manager and some of their young players have improved. They have been fortunate this season with no injuries. Bit like Wolves the season before and VAR decisions.

Had we had our best 11 available every week, this season and had the poor 4/5 VAR decisions gone the otter way, I’m sure we would be very close to Chelsea in 4th, instead of 11 points behind who are only 5 points behind Leicester. Funny that pereira, who’s an excellent RB and Maddison both got injured, the last game before the season stopped, I think pereira was out for the season.

Seems alot more realistic than Bale

1 year left on his deal

Not on crazy wages

If he could play on the right would either allow Richarlison to be moved out on the left with a first choice CF signed to partner DCL or Rich kept up top with a LW signed with one of Bernard or Iwobi being moved on.

I'm sure at this moment in time he's on over £200k a week?

I read this.

And then thought James and Bale yes please

You're absolutely right. Signing a player like James or Bale is unlikely to do anything but maybe get us 5th or 6th. I don't think it is worth it for Bale for sure and James the transfer fee would need to be super low. We should be trying to build longer term.

But but if we don’t make a Bale/James sized signing we’ll be left behind Newcastle and their mythical new owners or Leeds and their mythical PSG money when they come up or Wolves and their latest Mendes no marks

You're absolutely right. Signing a player like James or Bale is unlikely to do anything but maybe get us 5th or 6th. I don't think it is worth it for Bale for sure and James the transfer fee would need to be super low. We should be trying to build longer term.

If we removed Walcott / Bernard and injected Bale and James I dare say we would be very, very close to top 4.

One or two astute signings on top and we'd be gunning for the champions league spots.

If we removed Walcott / Bernard and injected Bale and James I dare say we would be very, very close to top 4.

One or two astute signings on top and we'd be gunning for the champions league spots.
Nah. We're still well short in midfield and in the backline. Plus Pickford is a disaster now. We are making progress but the problem is it is slow progress. When Brands came in we thought we had Pickford, Gueye and Coleman locked in as guys we could rely on. A few years on and they're all gone or not good enough opening up new holes. Some old ones like RW have never been properly fixed. It is more than one man can plug unless they're actually going to provide 25 plus goals and assists without taking away from what we are already producing.

What we really need is a bit of magic where we sign 5 players and they're all massive hits to immediately transform things. It looked like the first summer might have been it, but then Bernard turned out to be a bit average, Mina hasn't found consistency and Zouma couldn't be made permanent. This past summer certainly wasn't it as injuries and poor form have made all the signings look a bit poor.

I'd love James, but ultimately the real thing to do is going to be to try and find 4 or 5 players who are coming into their prime who can come in and be fixtures for 4 or 5 years. If we pull that off than we can look for the special players to push us over the top.

Nah. We're still well short in midfield and in the backline. Plus Pickford is a disaster now. We are making progress but the problem is it is slow progress. When Brands came in we thought we had Pickford, Gueye and Coleman locked in as guys we could rely on. A few years on and they're all gone or not good enough opening up new holes. Some old ones like RW have never been properly fixed. It is more than one man can plug unless they're actually going to provide 25 plus goals and assists without taking away from what we are already producing.

What we really need is a bit of magic where we sign 5 players and they're all massive hits to immediately transform things. It looked like the first summer might have been it, but then Bernard turned out to be a bit average, Mina hasn't found consistency and Zouma couldn't be made permanent. This past summer certainly wasn't it as injuries and poor form have made all the signings look a bit poor.

I'd love James, but ultimately the real thing to do is going to be to try and find 4 or 5 players who are coming into their prime who can come in and be fixtures for 4 or 5 years. If we pull that off than we can look for the special players to push us over the top.

I can see Ancelotti calling James and Brands calling Arias and combining them on the right flank.

The fees would total under £25mil to tickoff two positions. I think that would be very sensible.

In the meantime, the real money would be kept for other targets u23.

Status
Not open for further replies.