Old Everton Pictures

Goodison 1934

A grim match topped off by a mass pitch invasion at the final whistle by the Red Army welcoming comittee. One group of blues - I think from Maghull - responded by disassembling a stretch of advertising hoarding & running on to the pitch armed with a 20ft long metal lance. Those were the days!
Remember it being absolute carnage getting in and mayhem after the game

A grim match topped off by a mass pitch invasion at the final whistle by the Red Army welcoming comittee. One group of blues - I think from Maghull - responded by disassembling a stretch of advertising hoarding & running on to the pitch armed with a 20ft long metal lance. Those were the days!
That advertising was getting taking down from the start of the second half,
There was murder after the game.
I had the claim to fame of leading the manc mob at one stage by the train station, got split up and lost outside the ground, , ended up on some flyover and some older blues , I had bumped into said get in a taxi with us, to Victoria, there are loads of macs all over the place up there, I didn't have any money, so declined, a blond manc sussed me out and started up the road, when the taxi went, a crew of about 80 man's further up the road heading my way, so I ran up to this fella and basically threw him on the floor a put the boot in, thought well if I am getting a hiding at least one of them coming with me, the manc crew thought he was a scouser and started webbing him everywhere,
I just broke away in the direction , I thought the station was in, looked around and have a crew with me at the front, and a few saying follow him he doesn't give a fck.
I turned around into a side road and thank god it led to the station, but there was a crew of Everton running up at the mancs.
I took off towards them , my new manc mates following,:oops:
I was bottling it by now, as we got near to clashing,
a few mancs were saying stop, and dragging me back , well as you can imagine I wasn't going to stop, there was about 30ft between me and the front Everton fan , mancs were shouting go on lad, thinking I am leading a one man suicide mission to slay the scouser's.
A copper rugby tacked me out of nowhere, flattened me good style.
One manc tried to get him off me , but gave up as the Everton fans arrived,
The copper frog marching me up the road having none of it ,that i was an Everton fan , mancs cheering me on,
Bet still some taking about the crazy fella that night
Only for a few of the Everton fans outside that came over and a few stewards off the train that knew me , I think I would have been getting done for affray agaist my own club:blush:.
I was the last fan on the train and glad to get back in one piece.
To make matters worse my mates had an uneventful trip back from the ground and took the p out of me all the way back home.
I was only a kid of the time but it felt like one of the scariest experiences I have had following the blues.
Then again if you wanted to follow your team those day , something was always going on.

That advertising was getting taking down from the start of the second half,
There was murder after the game.
I had the claim to fame of leading the manc mob at one stage by the train station, got split up and lost outside the ground, , ended up on some flyover and some older blues , I had bumped into said get in a taxi with us, to Victoria, there are loads of macs all over the place up there, I didn't have any money, so declined, a blond manc sussed me out and started up the road, when the taxi went, a crew of about 80 man's further up the road heading my way, so I ran up to this fella and basically threw him on the floor a put the boot in, thought well if I am getting a hiding at least one of them coming with me, the manc crew thought he was a scouser and started webbing him everywhere,
I just broke away in the direction , I thought the station was in, looked around and have a crew with me at the front, and a few saying follow him he doesn't give a fck.
I turned around into a side road and thank god it led to the station, but there was a crew of Everton running up at the mancs.
I took off towards them , my new manc mates following,:oops:
I was bottling it by now, as we got near to clashing,
a few mancs were saying stop, and dragging me back , well as you can imagine I wasn't going to stop, there was about 30ft between me and the front Everton fan , mancs were shouting go on lad, thinking I am leading a one man suicide mission to slay the scouser's.
A copper rugby tacked me out of nowhere, flattened me good style.
One manc tried to get him off me , but gave up as the Everton fans arrived,
The copper frog marching me up the road having none of it ,that i was an Everton fan , mancs cheering me on,
Bet still some taking about the crazy fella that night
Only for a few of the Everton fans outside that came over and a few stewards off the train that knew me , I think I would have been getting done for affray agaist my own club:blush:.
I was the last fan on the train and glad to get back in one piece.
To make matters worse my mates had an uneventful trip back from the ground and took the p out of me all the way back home.
I was only a kid of the time but it felt like one of the scariest experiences I have had following the blues.
Then again if you wanted to follow your team those day , something was always going on.
Blimey you live on the edge, Edge

1990's were far worse......
Again, fair point. I tend to forget that we've been mediocre to utter crap, especially away, for so long...

I suppose what I was getting at was that the 70s were particularly shocking because of the decade before. The speed of the decline & the obviousness of the mistakes in the early 70s made it all seem especially painful.

I'm showing my age. I'll shuttup before the nurse comes round with the night tablets.