Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

The problem is that you can’t help but look at the bad stuff !
Can I suggest that anyone who is struggling with anxiety problems relating to the Coronavirus, delete the likes of Facebook etc.

It can guarantee it will significantly lower your anxiety levels.

There is nothing good on there for anyone at the mo and is even more of a platform for the deranged, attention seeking and those with agendas.
I deleted Facebook about 9 years ago. Last week I deleted Twitter as it was increasing my anxiety levels. Unfortunately over the past couple of years I’ve developed a tendency to have panic attacks, although they are now less frequent. The constant scaremongering on Twitter was pushing me into a very negative thought pattern. We all know this is a dreadful situation but I think wallowing in the stream of awful news is very unhealthy.

This living one day at a time thing... not thinking about the future is very difficult isn't it? When you have anxiety you generally have unhealthy thought patterns, one example of which is catostrophising. I've previously experienced this, thinking for example that I have a serious illness or that something terrible could happen to my loved ones. That has taken me years of applying CBT type techniques to get to grips with. And now we have a ready made catastrophe, I'm not even sure how to deal with it, other than recognising the unhelpful thoughts and trying to find a positive thought to replace it with, or using the Padesky 5 aspects to determine if it is an actual or hypothetical worry and to move on or plan action accordingly. That's a long winded way of saying it's hard to think positively at the moment and it's hard to make any plans, as a consequence of which you're left with your worries. I'd l love to fast forward through the next 6 months and see all of this with hindsight and say "thank goodness we made it". But we'd all like to say that wouldn't we and not everyone will.

I am struggling with the 'one day at a time' thing at the moment. So much uncertainty and no details as to how the government will bring us out of this situation.

I am struggling with the 'one day at a time' thing at the moment. So much uncertainty and no details as to how the government will bring us out of this situation.

I’d strongly advise trying to limit how much news you consume right now, totally understand how overwhelming it can be. Try planning your days ahead of schedule with any bits you’d like to get done around the house, a project you’d like to finish. If you don’t have one, perhaps think of one you’d like to start (learn a language, start a blog / vlog or anything that interests / excites you) or failing all that even some light exercise.

I’d strongly advise trying to limit how much news you consume right now, totally understand how overwhelming it can be. Try planning your days ahead of schedule with any bits you’d like to get done around the house, a project you’d like to finish. If you don’t have one, perhaps think of one you’d like to start (learn a language, start a blog / vlog or anything that interests / excites you) or failing all that even some light exercise.

Cheers mate. Today has been a better day. Made a 'bug hotel' out of an old shoe box with the kids.

You're right about the news. I let my curiosity get the better of me last night and took a look. It really brought me down. I won't mention which story it was as it was very sad but these stories don't seem to give many facts. Most of it is click bait.

Cheers mate. Today has been a better day. Made a 'bug hotel' out of an old shoe box with the kids.

You're right about the news. I let my curiosity get the better of me last night and took a look. It really brought me down. I won't mention which story it was as it was very sad but these stories don't seem to give many facts. Most of it is click bait.

lol

Love that, bud. Very creative.

Anybody else really struggling to keep things together right now? Feel as if things really getting on top of them. I do. Worried about three virus so won't let gms family out. I do all the shopping I'm that paranoid. Work etc I just feel I'm a right miserable twatt to be around at the moment

Prisoners in the Napoleonic Wars used to make Scrimshaw from old bones to keep themselves sane and busy, there is a lot to be said for this sort of stuff, even if it is a lot more basic, it a diversion which works for depression, or you could be more ambitious (see second link, beyond most I would say)

If in doubt just whittle

Woke up to some horrible news today. Father has been in hospital for over a week with breathing problems, this morning they called to say he took a turn for the worse last night and we needed to come in. Doctor said he's dying and will very likely go today, his situation is hopeless. Me and my siblings were each allowed to go in one at a time to see him one final time. It was the worst thing I've ever witnessed, he looked nothing like the man I knew. He was conscious but too weak to speak or even properly open his eyes, he could only fidget a little bit and I'm sure I saw him try to smile as I spoke. We've never been close, he was a rotten dad all things considered and when I hopefully have children I want to have relationships totally the opposite of what ours was. Saying though we've always cared for him, it's how we've been brought up and we know at heart he has never been a wicked person, just a unbelievably complex one.

Braced myself for this day for a long time, he's been very poorly for a while and it was obvious months ago he was near the end. After we'd each had our time with him a priest came and gave him his last rights, he then came into a private room with us and our mum and gave a private mass (the current climate means a funeral service won't be possible).

I cracked when I saw him because it was so horrific seeing how dramatically he's deteriorated, I pray to God I'll be able to get the image out my head and remember him how he was. Haven't cried like that in a while, it was so awful. Long-term I'll be okay, like I said I've braced myself for this day for a long time but it doesnt make it any less horrible when it finally arrives. Hopefully he's at peace and with his deceased family and friends now because we know how terribly he's missed them. Godspeed Dad xxx

Woke up to some horrible news today. Father has been in hospital for over a week with breathing problems, this morning they called to say he took a turn for the worse last night and we needed to come in. Doctor said he's dying and will very likely go today, his situation is hopeless. Me and my siblings were each allowed to go in one at a time to see him one final time. It was the worst thing I've ever witnessed, he looked nothing like the man I knew. He was conscious but too weak to speak or even properly open his eyes, he could only fidget a little bit and I'm sure I saw him try to smile as I spoke. We've never been close, he was a rotten dad all things considered and when I hopefully have children I want to have relationships totally the opposite of what ours was. Braced myself for this day for a long time, he's been very poorly for a while and it was obvious months ago he was near the end.

After we'd each had our time with him a priest came and gave him his last rights, he then came into a private room with us and our mum and gave a private mass (the current climate means a funeral service won't be possible).

I cracked when I saw him because it was so horrific seeing how dramatically he's deteriorated, I pray to God I'll be able to get the image out my head and remember him how he was. Haven't cried like that in a while, it was so awful. Long-term I'll be okay, like I said I've braced myself for this day for a long time but it doesnt make it any less horrible when it finally arrives. Hopefully he's at peace and with his deceased family and friends now because we know how terribly he's missed them. Godspeed Dad xxx

Can't imagine what you're going through. Sending thoughts and prayers mate. Horrible news.

All you can do is make sure you and your siblings are there for each other for what's to come. Stay strong, bud.

Woke up to some horrible news today. Father has been in hospital for over a week with breathing problems, this morning they called to say he took a turn for the worse last night and we needed to come in. Doctor said he's dying and will very likely go today, his situation is hopeless. Me and my siblings were each allowed to go in one at a time to see him one final time. It was the worst thing I've ever witnessed, he looked nothing like the man I knew. He was conscious but too weak to speak or even properly open his eyes, he could only fidget a little bit and I'm sure I saw him try to smile as I spoke. We've never been close, he was a rotten dad all things considered and when I hopefully have children I want to have relationships totally the opposite of what ours was. Saying though we've always cared for him, it's how we've been brought up and we know at heart he has never been a wicked person, just a unbelievably complex one.

Braced myself for this day for a long time, he's been very poorly for a while and it was obvious months ago he was near the end. After we'd each had our time with him a priest came and gave him his last rights, he then came into a private room with us and our mum and gave a private mass (the current climate means a funeral service won't be possible).

Prayers going out to you buddy. I will never imagine what you are going through but I will keep you in my mind. If you ever need to talk, I will sit and listen through text or a talking service if you feel alone. The GoT loves you man. Stay strong.

I know exactly how you feel mate, I went through it with my own dad 4 years ago, the man I knew as my hero and best friend looked an utter shell lying wired up with an oxygen mask on as the sepsis contracted during his cancer treatment was gradually eating him away. I left the Royal that Sunday evening and never got to see him alive again as he slipped away peacefully early the next morning, the next time I saw him was in resting a couple of days before his funeral and it broke me

Update, he slipped away peacefully at 5:30am this morning according to the hospitsl. I strangely woke up around this time, weird deja vu. I like to think his spirit paid one final visit before passing on and that's why. He's with his mum, sisters and already departed friends now, no longer in pain or misery. We'll miss him greatly.

Thanks ever so much everyone for the kind words, means the world honestly. Stay strong during these challenging times.

Update, he slipped away peacefully at 5:30am this morning according to the hospitsl. I strangely woke up around this time, weird deja vu. I like to think his spirit paid one final visit before passing on and that's why. He's with his mum, sisters and already departed friends now, no longer in pain or misery. We'll miss him greatly.

Thanks ever so much everyone for the kind words, means the world honestly. Stay strong during these challenging times.

Truly sorry to hear, mate. Best wishes for you and yours, stay close to your family at this time, you’ll need each other.

Very sorry to hear this mate . A really tough time for you. But at least his suffering is over.