Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

C8B5ACE1-C11C-4DCD-901A-592F2FF3F9AA.jpeg

It wasnt an interpretation, it was an observation of a hypothetical situation.

I didn't say the league is on hold to ensure Liverpool win it either. What I said was if one club were to try to hold the league to ransom, on the basis of an indefinite delay, even at enormous financial cost for the entirety of football, this is an unreasonable act. I haven't said that is happening, or who is doing it, it's a hypothetical suggestion. One I believe most decent, objectively people would agree with.

The 2nd part is also I true. It's not a "fact" I would rather void the league than to continue it when safe and practical to do so. Far from it not being a fact, it's actually an out and out lie. I have never said that. You are resorting in both cases to lying about what I'm saying, because you know that by the argument you are making is too weak to defend honestly.

I'll ask reasonably, please dont misrepresent what I am saying for cheap point scoring exercises. My responses are generally quite detailed, and give a clear outline of what I think. You only need to read them to find that out.

Out of decency I will repeat my view on the 2nd issue. It's my perspective the optimum solution is to finish the season when it can be feasibly done, in a safe way and where the squads will be the same ones registered on Feb 1st. If these conditions are not possible then we have to look to the least worst option. If that means cancelling the season, this takes priority for me over risking peoples lives.

I'd also add what my opinion is in this is irrelevant. Clubs will do what is best for them, and while I may not agree with it, they have every right to do so. If the season cannot be completed the best legal option is to cancel the season. Whether you or I like that or not is irrelevant.

All of the above is to my mind, and to most observers I would say perfectly reasonable. You are prioritising fairness, integrity and most importantly safety over a single season of football. What is not reasonable are the growing numbers of people who seem to be trying to put the return of football as the priority, even if it means cutting corners on safety. This is appalling behaviour, and the 2 positions cannot be compared. There is a right and wrong in this debate.
I have said whatever the outcome is, fine. I'm not bothered, with all that is going on, so how can you say that my argument is too weak to defend honestly?!! You're the one arguing that certain outcomes are unacceptable in your opinion.

The contract argument is a misnomer, if the decision is taken to finish the season beyond contract expiration, as the expiration dates are effectively aligned to season's end. Due to the extremity of the mitigating circumstances that would render the season going on beyond this, there would be very little legal recourse for arguing those contracts are valid until the end of season, whenever that may be. This will not be the legal minefield that many fans hope it will be.

As for risking peoples lives, I agree completely that lives should not be put at risk just to finish a season.

In fairness to Matty1878, at least he's nailed his colours to the mast.

I re-iterate that whatever is decided, is fine by me. If you think that is a weak argument, I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing.

I have said whatever the outcome is, fine. I'm not bothered, with all that is going on, so how can you say that my argument is too weak to defend honestly?!! You're the one arguing that certain outcomes are unacceptable in your opinion.

The contract argument is a misnomer, if the decision is taken to finish the season beyond contract expiration, as the expiration dates are effectively aligned to season's end. Due to the extremity of the mitigating circumstances that would render the season going on beyond this, there would be very little legal recourse for arguing those contracts are valid until the end of season, whenever that may be. This will not be the legal minefield that many fans hope it will be.

As for risking peoples lives, I agree completely that lives should not be put at risk just to finish a season.

In fairness to Matty1878, at least he's nailed his colours to the mast.

I re-iterate that whatever is decided, is fine by me. If you think that is a weak argument, I'm not sure what you think I'm arguing.

I'm saying that within a spectrum of bad outcomes, some are a lot worse than others. They are not all equally bad. We have a duty to pursue the least worst option.

The contract situation will be a legal minefield. How are you going to compel people to work beyond the contract? Who is going to pay for these extensions? Are transfer deals going to be scrapped on the back of this? All of these would be challenged, and much like Mr Bosman would be won. In such a scenario, it would be chaotic in the extreme, as you would be having sides relegated and promoted based upon legally contested players.

It's infeasible to move forward beyond June 30th without outlining how this circle is squared. And that does not mean evading the answer by ignorantly minimising it's importance as it doesn't fit into a world view. If a resolution can be found, lets find it and utilise it. If not lets not go down the route of trying to continue as if contact law (the basis of our society) is somehow going to evaporate into thin air.

I am completely fine with your perspective. What I was picking issue with, was you strawmanning what I was saying into something you believed me to be saying.

We are both in agreement we want the season finished when it is both safe, and legally feasible to do so. If that isn't possible then we will have to cancel. I like you am fine with all of those outcomes (I have far more important things to be concerned with than what happens with this season). However those who are trying to suggest frankly dangerous ideas in order to try to allow a team who have categorically not earned a title to be given in are behaving in a really scummy fashion and are the aberration in this debate, and we should not let them forget that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.