Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in Ireland and although all my family are Arsenal fans due to my parents living close to Highbury when they lived/worked in London, sitting down watching UTV/ITV when Granada Soccer was on one sunday and Everton playing Spurs at Goodison and with Kevin Sheedy(Irish) and Big Neville Southall I decided Everton was my team :)

Because when I decided to pick a team to follow, I looked at who my friends were following and wanted to pick someone different. The biggest sports idiot that I know follows the RS, so I said I’ll take Everton

My dad .... I'm irish , no connection to liverpool at all... can still remember getting my first nec jersey when he came walking down the road , with an Everton bag , after he saw them win the lge in 87.... never took the jersey off off for 6 months , my ma had to take it off me when I was asleep to wash it .... been hooked ever since , going3 times a season for the last 20 yrs with a few other lads from my area, we're all best mates now ... the fact that everyone else here is a RS made it even better to be a blue over here

When I started getting into football, my dad (who supported them since the 60s as they were the team everyone supported) seized on the opportunity to tell me about Everton beating United 5-0.

Only problem is, it was 9 years before I were even born(!)

Been having a go at him since, the cruel horrible git.

I have never had to question why I am a blue.You get up, you go to school and do your homework(forward 40 odd years).I support Everton ,My family do, and my great grand fathers did.It's just the normal to me.Carried my arl fellas coffin to Z cars.It MAKES ME THINK HE IS WITH ME (sorry caps) when the games are at the Old Lady prior to kick off.:)

It’s 2005... my brother had just got our Xbox chipped at the market and bought 20 burnt games for $20. One of those games fifa 2005 was my personal favourite. Having always had a fleeting interest in “soccer” I started a “career mode” save with one of the league 2 teams. After winning the league on amateur setting I decide it was time to make the step up to the premier league! Surely I would have my pick of teams wanting to be coached by the best manager in the 4th division. Alas the likes of ManU and Chelsea were happy with their managers at that stage. Who was the highest rated team that wanted a piece of me. Everton.

And that was it . 15 years of disappointment and 1 trip to Goodison later wouldn’t have it any other way.

Also the bigggest wool answer so far

I'm from the North of ireland, and started supporting everton after watching them beat Southampton in the cup semi-final as an impressionable 8 year old in '84. I dunno if it was the Jersey or heath's wild celebration which flicked a switch somewhere inside, but when we lifted the trophy a few weeks later, my allegiance was cemented. Most of my peers in the neighbourhood were either utd or rs, with a few arsenal, Leeds scattered around. My dad was/is a spurs fan. I was the only Everton fan I knew and recall being treated like a strange animal when asked who I supported. Everton? What??...

I remember the 84-85 season being a strange one for me. I missed both the cup finals we were in cos we were on a local holiday that week and the place we were staying in didn't have a tv. Gutted I missed one of them anyway. As we all know, life as an evertonian since then has been a hard one!

One thing I will say coming from this particular part of the world, Everton are a surprisingly strongly supported team here considering our last trophy win. After utd and rs, and the inevitable rangers/Celtic split, Everton are up there with the spurs, Chelsea, arsenal numbers of fans. Leeds also have a fair representation, but a city jersey, despite their success lately, is still a very rare site here across the water.

A fair few reasons for me- my Dad never had a favourite side he just liked watching good footballing sides. Blue was the superior colour to all others and the majority of people in my wool town were Liverpool fans, and I definitely didn't want to be like them!
Once I set eyes on the majestical Adrian Heath it was decided, through glory or lots of pain Everton was the only one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.