Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't return behind closed doors, if that was a safe option they would be doing that now....The season can't and won't return until the virus has died out.. And no one knows right now when that will be, it won't be 2 months...it maybe a case that most of us have to get the virus, so we can build up an immunity to it, but for obvious reasons we want to avoid that so we need to hide away for months till its just dies away...

But what about the rest, what do you do about those thousands who may then get including football players and staff.

But what about the rest, what do you do about those thousands who may then get including football players and staff.

Well that's the argument... Do you sacrifice some lives so normal life returns sooner...the approach some countries are taking (by acting early and locking society down) will safe alot of elderly lives... But will be very damaging for businesses and the economy (and with no guarantee that the loss of life will be significantly lower, and no way of knowing how long it will take) ....
it's an easy choice for me, but seems like some governments are weighing things up...

Season is going to be voided as it was in 1939 (and Blackpool were not given the title).

It will be months before it could safely restart and even then there would be chaos if one team suffered an outbreak. Plus there's so many problems with contracts; rescheduling safety issues, e.g. do we really want police and ambulance teams on standby, then there are the clashes with other sports, e.g. cricket and rugby league - it just isn't going to happen.

Whether teams in relegation/promotion places should be awarded titles/demoted is a different question but my personal view is the competition(s) would be incomplete and therefore void.

Well that's the argument... Do you sacrifice some lives so normal life returns sooner...the approach some countries are taking (by acting early and locking society down) will safe alot of elderly lives... But will be very damaging for businesses and the economy (and with no guarantee that the loss of life will be significantly lower, and no way of knowing how long it will take) ....
it's an easy choice for me, but seems like some governments are weighing things up...

Well friend it is not an easy choice for me just like that. All efforts should be made for the preservation of life no matter what age.

Me, I look at the .likes of Niasse going, also Cuco to name 2 but there are more. Now do we want to renew those contracts, I think not.
the unfairness would be that we 'could' replace Niasse with a striker, you know one who scores goals. That would be unfair on other clubs who aren't in the same position to replace dross with talent

Well friend it is not an easy choice for me just like that. All efforts should be made for the preservation of life no matter what age.
Preservation of life in greater numbers too. Is it the virus that kills people or is it the economic downturn that kills people after the country tries to recover.

It's a really complex situation, one that doesn't just impact the here and now. I have no idea what the right solution is by the way, you could make a case for both paths in my opinion.

I'm just glad I dont have to make the decision and may god have mercy on us all!

so why and try to arbitrarily award winners when no one is yet a winner?

You can’t. That’s my argument. I’ve been very consistent in that. There’s a lot still to play for in the current season. I don’t see how you can ethically award United a Champions League spot for next years European competition when Sheffield United have played a game less, for example.

If you void the season, it would create countless issues for advertising, broadcasting and sponsorship deals globally and create countless lawsuits from clubs who have done well this season and will miss out on the rewards.

THAT is why a delay of almost any length is preferable for most clubs. When it’s safe to do so, the current season resumes and we deal with the minor scheduling clashes that causes in future. That’s a far lesser consequence than the alternative if the season were voided.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can’t. That’s my argument. I’ve been very consistent in that. There’s a lot still to play for in the current season. I don’t see how you can ethically award United a Champions League spot for next years European competition when Sheffield United have played a game less, for example.

If you void the season, it would create countless issues for advertising, broadcasting and sponsorship deals globally. create countless lawsuits from clubs who have done well this season and will miss out.

THAT is why a delay of almost any length is preferable for most clubs. When it’s safe to do so, the current season resumes and we deal with the minor scheduling clashes that causes in future. That’s a far lesser consequence than the alternative if the season were voided.
ok mate, but you're wrong. I would suggest that most clubs are either hoping for an abandonment so that they can prevent any prospect of relegation, or the sizeable chunk in the middle of tables who have nothing to play for and are fulfilling fixtures waiting to plan for next season, and the ones who were in Europe this season but not in euro qualifying places this current season. The only ones who will want to carry on are the rest, those on the outer verges of bettering themselves. It won't be our decision and nothing will be perfect, but this championship will always be flawed if they get things aligned in their favour to appease your club.

You don’t have to invalidate what contracts say. You sign new ones. Happens all the time in businesses across the country when circumstances change and the current contracts are no longer fit for purpose.

Ok, but what if;
1) Clubs dont want to offer them
2) Players dont want to sign them?

I mean do we gave to offer Niasse a new deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.