2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he was one of the few plus points today.

Can’t blame him for any of the 4 goals, absolutely horrific defending.

Could have been 6 but for a couple of stunning saves.

It was his catching I liked though. Looks like he’s been working on that. Don’t think he punched it once today???

Because people hear the phrase "keepers shouldn't get beat at their near post" repeated over and over again by clueless pundits like alan smith which then just gets repeated any time a shot goes in at the post it's nearer to than the other post.

It's total bollocks cause people say it without realising what is actually meant by it. It's when the ball is very wide of the goal at a tight angle and close to the goalline that a keeper shouldn't get beaten at their near post because it means they've left a gap, that's basic goalkeeping 101 not to do that when the ball is out wide.

Mount was only just outside the line of the near post and it was a good hard and low shot into the corner whilst unmarked.

Pretty much unless the ball is dead centre of the goal the ball is always going to be nearer one post than the other, doesn't mean a keeper is it fault if the ball goes in at that post. The goal is 8 yards wide, no keeper in the world can cover both posts at the same time .
Watch the first goal clearly. He was already to the right side of his goal so should have had that post covered.
A split second before Mount shot he inexplicably shifted all his body weight to the left. Then Mount shot to his right and despite already being that side failed to get there.
No top class goalkeeper moves their body weight at that time. They stay on their toes to react to where the ball is struck.
It’s really not difficult, it’s basic.

Who would youre MOM be then? I need a laugh after today’s game
Their are no.laughs after today's game I'm afraid. For me no one was motm. I wasn't one of Pickfords biggest critics. Would still give him some time. Biut ATM he is costing us a goal a game. For me he should be saving their first goal but looks totally flat footed as per last week's goal. I've said before that it looks like they are working in him to come for crosses as he had started doing that a bit more. I've said I like my keepers taller. We all have our preferences and for me now Pickford isn't good enough

Watch the first goal clearly. He was already to the right side of his goal so should have had that post covered.
A split second before Mount shot he inexplicably shifted all his body weight to the left. Then Mount shot to his right and despite already being that side failed to get there.
No top class goalkeeper moves their body weight at that time. They stay on their toes to react to where the ball is struck.
It’s really not difficult, it’s basic.
I thought the first goal caught everyone by surprise to fair, was a top draw strike and I think a lot of keepers would of struggled

Just got home now from the game Pickford should of saved the first one the others were not his fault it was crap defending.he made some descent stops to keep it from been more than 4

I actually wouldn't slate him for anything today. It doesn't mean the good saves he did make show that he's coming around, but he did alright considering the team in front.

I do think he needs to be coached better on what to do 1v1. If you can come off your line and actually get close to the guy then that is what you should do. But if you can't the right move is to stay deep and give yourself time to react. He's come 8 yards off his line where the angle isn't cut down and he can't react in time. Very easy finish for Pedro. This is a long term thing for him going back to a goal Lukaku scored on him when he was at Sunderland. You can't be in no mans land like that.

....fine today and I wouldn’t particularly blame him for the first goal because Mount took the strike very early. Regardless, he remains a calamity and I prefer a goalkeeper who’s not a calamity.
...I suppose there’s an argument to suggest we shouldn’t judge our CBs until we get a reliable keeper.
Well, having seen DeGea, Emerson, and the Chelsea keeper with what little he had to do, today, Pickford is a better shot saver and has safer catching of crosses than any of them. And he has less mistakes in him.

All keepers make mistakes, I think with Pickford we have someone who can be world class at times and a total liability at other times...

He needs to cut out the errors and then we'll have a truly top class keeper...

I suppose the question is whether you want someone whose world class or a disaster at 26 or someone who is good and consistent every game.

The midfield is a total disaster every game which puts a lot of pressure on our defence...i think in a top side Pickford would shine.

Felt Pickford could have done better with he first Chelsea goal. He appeared to leave himself slightly unsighted by moving to the left just has the shot came in. Maybe he was hedging his bets a little in thinking that the shot may go to his left, but in doing so left himself a little too much to do to get down to his right and make the save. It's all academic really, since we were pretty much dismantled by Chelsea and never really looked like getting anything out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.