2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The window was closing and Palace were asking for ridiculous money for Zaha, and Brands's MO is scouring big clubs' reserve teams. I think that's about the long and short of it.
ha ha.

He played 56 times for Arsenal first team last season. Hardly a reserve team player.

He hasn't settled yet and has had a bit of an injury hit season. But he's 23, has 100 league games for Arsenal under his belt, plus 26 in Europe and 40 Internationals for Nigeria.

A lot of us are too quick to judge our new players. Not saying he'll become a Goodison favourite but he does need a bit more time.

You’d think he needs to improve the defensive side of his game to fit in this team. I can’t see him playing in a midfield two but he’s got the physique for it.

Like others have said he’s not great on the wing and Carlo doesn’t play with a 10 so where does he fit in?

ha ha.

He played 56 times for Arsenal first team last season. Hardly a reserve team player.

He hasn't settled yet and has had a bit of an injury hit season. But he's 23, has 100 league games for Arsenal under his belt, plus 26 in Europe and 40 Internationals for Nigeria.

A lot of us are too quick to judge our new players. Not saying he'll become a Goodison favourite but he does need a bit more time.
I wasn't having a go at the player. In fact, I was fairly optimistic about him coming here.

My comment was purely about the last-minute nature of the deal, which hardly smacked of the long-term thinking that I associate with a director of football.

Without turning this into the Brands thread, can we really complain about the job he's done on the whole? I'd say with the exception of DCL he's signed all our best players currently. And all of his signings are worth keeping around for the time being to. I'm more than willing to let him keep going and I don't know why anyone wouldn't be tbh.

Iwobi could still come good. Bernard and Walcott have both gone up a clear level under Carlo and Iwobi has played one half fit game under him. Iwobi's also the kind of player who needs an actual coherent attacking set up to thrive and we seem to have that now. With Walcott looking a doubt I'd hope we see him given a go this week.
I think that Brands's signings have mostly been fine in terms of their individual ability, but I haven't seen much by way of a plan to build a balanced team.

My hope was that he'd revamp the recruitment policy, and that there'd be more instances of players coming here before their value sky-rockets (e.g. getting Richarlison for £11m from his hometown club, rather than paying £35-50m to Watford).

I think that Brands's signings have mostly been fine in terms of their individual ability, but I haven't seen much by way of a plan to build a balanced team.

My hope was that he'd revamp the recruitment policy, and that there'd be more instances of players coming here before their value sky-rockets (e.g. getting Richarlison for £11m from his hometown club, rather than paying £35-50m to Watford).
Absolutely agree with that.

...I actually see the contrary. I think there was a strategy in place that aligned with how the team wanted to play. Ball carrying midfielders (Gbamin and Iwobi), pace at CB in Zouma.

...I actually see the contrary. I think there was a strategy in place that aligned with how the team wanted to play. Ball carrying midfielders (Gbamin and Iwobi), pace at CB in Zouma.
I can't comment on Gbamin, but for the most part, all I see is him targeting players that haven't found their feet at big clubs.

How were Richarlison, Iwobi and Bernard, who all played on the left at their previous clubs, supposed to fit into Silva's 4-2-31 alongside Sigurdsson, who was a guaranteed starter? It's not like any of them came in on squad filler wages, either.

With Zouma, it's actually worked out fine because of Holgate's sudden leap, but if it was a case of being in the market for a centre-back with pace, rather than simply Zouma being on the fringes at Chelsea, it surely wouldn't have been too difficult to find another option.

I can't comment on Gbamin, but for the most part, all I see is him targeting players that haven't found their feet at big clubs.

How were Richarlison, Iwobi and Bernard, who all played on the left at their previous clubs, supposed to fit into Silva's 4-2-31 alongside Sigurdsson, who was a guaranteed starter? It's not like any of them came in on squad filler wages, either.

With Zouma, it's actually worked out fine because of Holgate's sudden leap, but if it was a case of being in the market for a centre-back with pace, rather than simply Zouma being on the fringes at Chelsea, it surely wouldn't have been too difficult to find another option.

...I recall Brands saying he would look at fringe players from top clubs. That’s a strategy. I don’t think he signed Zouma because he played for Chelsea, he signed Zouma because he was exactly what we needed (pace and power to compliment two CBs who lacked those attributes).

When Zouma)s permanent deal didn’t materialise he went for a similar type in Tomori, but Arsenal scuppered that deal on Deadline Day when they signed Luiz. Brands was left in the lurch, Holgate has taken advantage of the situation.

I’m still convinced Brands wants a Zouma type.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Iwobi to step up against his old club.

We have a real chance of Europe so the pressure is on now.

Let's see how he does.

...I recall Brands saying he would look at fringe players from top clubs. That’s a strategy. I don’t think he signed Zouma because he played for Chelsea, he signed Zouma because he was exactly what we needed (pace and power to compliment two CBs who lacked those attributes).

When Zouma)s permanent deal didn’t materialise he went for a similar type in Tomori, but Arsenal scuppered that deal on Deadline Day when they signed Luiz. Brands was left in the lurch, Holgate has taken advantage of the situation.

I’m still convinced Brands wants a Zouma type.
What happens when the type of player you need isn't rotting in the reserves at Barcelona?

I wasn't having a go at the player. In fact, I was fairly optimistic about him coming here.

My comment was purely about the last-minute nature of the deal, which hardly smacked of the long-term thinking that I associate with a director of football.
I was only pulling you up on the reserve comment.

The rest was just my views on the player. I wasn't having another pop at you

I was only pulling you up on the reserve comment.

The rest was just my views on the player. I wasn't having another pop at you
I must admit, I wouldn't have guessed that he'd played so many games last season.

I would imagine that it was mostly in the Europa League and domestic cups where he got his starts, though. I don't ever recall him being first choice in their league side for any extended periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.