Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In central defence I think. Still surprised at us letting that young American LB (Antonee Robinson?) go to Wigan, thought he might have been worth keeping hold of given he was picking up senior USA caps at a young age.
That was more due to us having zero good options for that position than him being ready. He was badly exposed a few times. Has a lot of the traits you want though. Quick, fast, good crosser. Really struggled on the defensive side though. Obviously time time improve so may have let him walk a little early...

That was more due to us having zero good options for that position than him being ready. He was badly exposed a few times. Has a lot of the traits you want though. Quick, fast, good crosser. Really struggled on the defensive side though. Obviously time time improve so may have let him walk a little early...

USA squad depth isn't my forte! Still, it sounds like the stuff he struggled with is something experience and coaching would bring.

If we sign this guy whilst also looking at the guy from Verona, does that mean the Ancelloti sees Holgate as a DM in the future?

It’s not that hard. We have none. Now you’re an expert.
I always thought it was odd that the US aren’t as good as they are at football. I know of course it’s behind a few other sports as the most popular but you’d think with the South American influences itd be thriving in certain areas. There’s of course the handful of startlets that show the potential, Pulasic, McKennie, (I’m sure I’m missing someone, or I might be thinking of that Canadian guy at Bayern).
My old man always said that ‘if the yanks wanted to win the World Cup it’d be theirs in 10 years’...probably referencing that America has more resources than Europe put together and an ingrained hatred of losing
Bit off topic but there’s my twopence on US football :coffee:

I always thought it was odd that the US aren’t as good as they are at football. I know of course it’s behind a few other sports as the most popular but you’d think with the South American influences itd be thriving in certain areas. There’s of course the handful of startlets that show the potential, Pulasic, McKennie, (I’m sure I’m missing someone, or I might be thinking of that Canadian guy at Bayern).
My old man always said that ‘if the yanks wanted to win the World Cup it’d be theirs in 10 years’...probably referencing that America has more resources than Europe put together and an ingrained hatred of losing
Yeah, won’t get into it too much, but it’s less to do with resources and talent pool and more to do with the development system and building a network to find the talent. We’re only now gradually moving away from pay to play, and the talent is still so spread out that scouting is still far away from being able to maximize it.

Yeah, won’t get into it too much, but it’s less to do with resources and talent pool and more to do with the development system and building a network to find the talent. We’re only now gradually moving away from pay to play, and the talent is still so spread out that scouting is still far away from being able to maximize it.
speaking as someone raising kids in America now, when they play recreationally, they might get a decent coach or they might get a coach that has never even watched a game, let alone played...that will be a season of lost development and likely discouragement. It is better than it was when I moved here in the mid 80s, but you don't build it overnight.

in Europe and Latin America, every child playing has decent odds of getting knowledgeable coaching because of the history of the game in those places. no amount of money and population size can replace that...only time and application.

It really revolves around two things.

1. Most top athletes in the country go to other sports because they pay much better. Great basketball players make 20 million per year, average baseball players make 10-15 million per year, good football players do the same. Most countries have 1-2 players that make 20-25 million in soccer. The US has 150-200 players making that in those other sports, so if you are a top athlete, what do you focus on?

2. The US soccer federation has been a festering pit of nepotism for decades. Its very corrupt, and basically lead by incompetent people, who keep promoting their brothers, cousins, best friends to positions of power rather than anyone who might make any attempt to develop competitive sport in the country. Despite #1 the talent is actually there, and ripe for the picking, but there is no attempt to really notice those great players around age 10-12 and start to develop them.

Even despite both of these, the number of great young talents that are set to come out in the next 4-5 years is the best its probably been in many decades. In the opinion of someone who hates current USMNT leadership, I think the only thing that keeps them from being top 10 in the world within 5 years would be complete incompetent management, ALA Greg "Even My Mom Hates Me" Berhalter.

Hasn't been playing for wigan since the transfer so i assume he's still massively on AC milans radar for the summer with minimal playing time

Status
Not open for further replies.