2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty decent words from him tbh. I was diagonally behind Benteke when he scored and Pickford’s reaction was the first time I’ve ever seen him look arsed about something. Wouldn’t go near the crowd after

Jordan Pickford: England and Everton goalkeeper says 'criticism doesn't affect me'

Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford says criticism does not affect him, adding "everyone hates you" when you are an England player.

The 25-year-old was at fault for Christian Benteke's goal on Saturday as Everton went seventh in the Premier League thanks to a 3-1 win against Crystal Palace.

Pickford says the criticism is unfair.

"Everyone hates you, for some reason, that's part of being an England player," he said.

"I think the press and everybody, the punters - look at Gary Neville - they just want to come for England players.

"You have got to live with it, you have got to learn. I know what I am capable of and I know what I am good at."

Pickford's temperament was called into question last season because of his performance in a 3-2 defeat at Newcastle in March. The former Sunderland keeper saved a penalty but his antics with the Newcastle fans led his behaviour being called "ridiculous and bizarre" by BBC Sport pundit Alan Shearer.

Last season Pickford made four errors which led to goals. He has two in the current campaign.

"Look at Joe Hart when he was number one. He got pelters every week," added Pickford.

"You just keep it away from your head as the only person who can sort things out is yourself as an individual, on the pitch and in training.

"It's looking after things on the pitch for Everton that is my main aim. That gets you picked for England.

"It's funny because everyone raves about you when you are with England but then you get back to your club and everyone wants to slate you.

"As a person, I don't let it affect me."

He accepts he made a mistake for Benteke's goal but felt there were mitigating circumstances.

"I've watched the goal. I'm lucky I haven't done my cruciate (knee ligaments), to be honest. My foot planted. It was a foot save and I have led with my hand," he added.

"I couldn't get my leg out. It was stuck. It happens. But I am mentally strong. I'm disappointed but it doesn't affect us."

I wish he would enlighten me.

Yes,all keepers make mistakes but he is probably the one player who doesn’t seem to have improved since Carlo took over. I hope that with coaching he will improve but he is currently letting us down. He needs to stop making statements like this weekends because that is showing his immaturity,it will only come back on him.Best he just knuckles down and concentrates on improving his game and performs better on the pitch.

I understand why he annoys everyone but I don't get the level of hate for the lad. Yes he's made plenty of terrible mistakes since he's been here but so has pretty much every single player on our books (especially our defenders) who unlike Pickford don't even have the good games to balance things out, yet they don't get anything like the same level of vitriol aimed at them.

Are those decisions not intuitive?

Yes, but you can try to learn new techniques that then become the instinctive with enough practice.

For example I had been done a few times by rushing out to meet a shot, in this one game I had something similar and I made one step forward to attempt to block the ball on contact (Intuitively) but experience kicked in I stepped back and was able to make the save. All that happens inside a couple of seconds.

I don't get the level of hate for the lad. Yes he's made plenty of terrible mistakes since he's been here but so has pretty much every single player on our books (especially our defenders) who unlike Pickford don't even have the good games to balance things out, yet they don't get anything like the same level of vitriol aimed at them.
Correct. It's his position though. Make a mistake as a goal keeper and you're getting it in the neck.

If Everton are to improve, then the defence should improve so that the keeper isn't called on as often as Pickford is now. Will Pickford be able to have that type of concentration so he is alert even when he isn't involved in the game for long periods. This is my real doubt for him long term.

App Leicester have been making a few enquires about a Turkish keeper called Ugurcan Cakir.
Admittedly I've never heard of him, but just going off how good their recruitment has been over the past few years we should make a move.
If Pickford can't be or won't be moved on, he needs some genuine good competition.

I understand why he annoys everyone but I don't get the level of hate for the lad. Yes he's made plenty of terrible mistakes since he's been here but so has pretty much every single player on our books (especially our defenders) who unlike Pickford don't even have the good games to balance things out, yet they don't get anything like the same level of vitriol aimed at them.

I struggle to understand it, but I think there's three reasons.

1. His Anfield howler.
2. His perceived 'arrogance' - How he reacts to mistakes, his jack the lad attitude, "get the rave on" and all that - doesn't come across well and that doesn't sit well with our fan base more than most.
3. Rival fans curating the sentiment. Dinosaur arms etc.

1. His Anfield howler.
2. His perceived 'arrogance' - How he reacts to mistakes, his jack the lad attitude, "get the rave on" and all that - doesn't come across well and that doesn't sit well with our fan base more than most.
4. sunderland posters telling us how lucky we are to have him

1. His Anfield howler.
I get it mate, there's plenty of good reasons to get annoyed with the lad but I just think that the level of hate he's getting is way OTT and very counter productive.

Some of our fans can't wait to kick our players or the manager when they're down. I can't help but feel that maybe if we all just got behind the lads (or at least stopped getting on their backs) they might not look like deers in headlights so often.

1. His Anfield howler.
people still bothered by this? Mostly #2 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.