2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth 40m in today’s market.
And the rest. There's a premium for being young and even more for being English in this market.

Real talk the lad is a different player since Dunc took over. He's mentioned how influential Dunc has been on him too. Honest question here:did Duncan give the lad some good mentoring and has that been a catalyst for his improvement and more predatory style of play?
He looks like a player who now has a clear idea of what his role in the team is and is being used with his strengths in mind - signs of that improvement even before Ancelotti arrived. Now whether that is down to Dunc's input or merely a result of getting shut of an incompetent manager with a history of seemingly downing tools is difficult to say without being at Finch Farm everyday.

But then there are some on here who seem to think they know whose job starts and finishes with putting the cones out at Finch Farm. Maybe these experts can shed some light on the subject?

@twoblue and that’s why he’s the leading scorer and will be called up for England.. Another expert
I've got to be honest mate before Dunc took over I just didn't see him as the complete forward we needed at the time .
He second guessed every move beat bigger defenders for strength but let smaller players boss him about .
Now I see a forward with decent physical strength and a poachers instinct . That goal yesterday for instance . Now he has a strikers instinct and Dunc's arrogance . Now he is all over the box like me with the missus when all the kids go out .
If you could see the potential he is showing now in the last 18 odd months , I sincerely bow to you .

I've got to be honest mate before Dunc took over I just didn't see him as the complete forward we needed at the time .
He second guessed every move beat bigger defenders for strength but let smaller players boss him about .
Now I see a forward with decent physical strength and a poachers instinct . That goal yesterday for instance . Now he has a strikers instinct and Dunc's arrogance . Now he is all over the box like me with the missus when all the kids go out .
If you could see the potential he is showing now in the last 18 odd months , I sincerely bow to you .

I wonder, for how long had Dunc been telling Silva that DCL needs a proper partner, someone close to him to feed off his hard work. That's what has made the difference. Before he showed a lack of confidence which i was sure stemmed from his isolation on the pitch.

I wonder, for how long had Dunc been telling Silva that DCL needs a proper partner, someone close to him to feed off his hard work. That's what has made the difference. Before he showed a lack of confidence which i was sure stemmed from his isolation on the pitch.
Very good points . Must of been hard for him to hold the ball up for our midfield and was probably given a whole list of instructions for this and that . Playing like that after 3 or four times must of been demoralising .
Dunc gave him the support he needed ( on the pitch with a second forward and in confidence terms . Now he gets to play up top with a mate ( so he said this week ) and gets to reap the benefits of a work class partner while feeding him back as was shown yesterday .
Again , good points sir .

I don't mind being proven wrong especially when I'm being pessimistic . More of that please .

Inappropriate Language
Very good points . Must of been hard for him to hold the ball up for our midfield and was probably given a whole list of instructions for this and that . Playing like that after 3 or four times must of been demoralising .
Dunc gave him the support he needed ( on the pitch with a second forward and in confidence terms . Now he gets to play up top with a mate ( so he said this week ) and gets to reap the benefits of a work class partner while feeding him back as was shown yesterday .
Again , good points sir .

I don't mind being proven wrong especially when I'm being pessimistic . More of that please .

Sidenote; Silva's clipboards of instructions, does my head in that, throwing [Poor language removed] ton of info at someone just before they come on the pitch, any professional would have had and learnt that info well in advance, throwing loads of info at a player just before they come on to the pitch could only actually distract from the game. V. messy management. Can't see Ancelotti doing that, he's much more the "remember what i have already said, now go and play"

He has run the line on his own on at least 6 or seven occasions especially away from home and done ok.He is learning all the time.Fantastic signing.already played under different managers here and has emerged as a player with real promise.Dave we cannot move immediately in to the top echelon of clubs clubs so what is the point slagging him off when he is showing real promise.
Even Joe Royle and Sharpie had big time doubters, they turned out OK.Hes not in their class obviously Let's hope he continues to progress.Stop slagging him off and move on to your next player.There's plenty to choose from.
I'm not being unkind to him; and if we want to want to be in the top echelon of footvall we habve to recognise we need better than a limited player like him.

England manager was present yesterday. DCL did his England chances few favours, but I do not think it matters that much. I believe he is concentrating everything on his Everton place and scoring goals. Nearly got 2 yesterday.

I called his WC winner Latchford-esque, I see no reason to change that...and he's not got any worse.

I do and I don't hope he gets a Euro call up and totally bosses it.

I think moving to two up top has absolutely revolutionised him and Richarlison. Richarlison has gone from sprinting up and down the wing chasing full backs to just focusing on scoring goals. DCL has gone from standing up front surrounded by 2 centrebacks with the nearest player being Siggurdson about 30 yards away to suddenly having Richarlison Walcott and Bernard in and around him all the time. His average technique is now not hindering him as he has more time and space and his runs are being rewarded with goals.

He’s not going to suddenly transform into Lewandowski but there’s been plenty of players like Kane, Muller, Lukaku who have looked like they’ve had poor technique yet it hasn’t stopped them hitting lots of goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.