2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played some good passes, almost scored and was part of some good play. But he is never a CM and he doesn’t really have a future in this system. Sorry Iceland

....two up front largely nullifies what he’s particularly good at. He’s terrific at hitting the box from open play, it’s what he does. He’s curbing that, playing to the managers instruction and working for the team. He’s not carrying the same threat.

Anything that Siggy can do in this system Iwobi can do better. I don’t see a reason to select Siggy going forward unless in dire straights due to injuries/bans. Schniederlin picked up every bit that he couldn’t do today and I’m thankful he had a good game or that could have gotten bad

He never carried a threat playing behind the striker though.

...yep, he’s been poor for a while but at least that was his game and he continued to get into threatening positions. He’s a no10 but he’s being asked to play a more conventional central midfield role because of injuries to others.

Anything that Siggy can do in this system Iwobi can do better. I don’t see a reason to select Siggy going forward unless in dire straights due to injuries/bans. Schniederlin picked up every bit that he couldn’t do today and I’m thankful he had a good game or that could have gotten bad

...it’s interesting that in his pre-match press conference, Ancelotti said he only had Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin and Davies, and that two of those would start. He never included Iwobi in that sentence.

I see the point you’re making, I’d agree that Iwobi might be more effective in possession of the ball, particularly from an attacking perspective. But playing two up front, Ancelotti probably goes with Sigurdsson as he’ll get behind the ball more. I can understand that.

When everybody is fit, Sigurdsson might find himself on the bench.

Iwobi at CM in a two?
You're mad mate.

Iwobi cant even run with the ball.

As bad as Iceland is, hes 20 times the player Iwobi will be.

Sigurdsson is terrible this season but at least he can pick the odd pass, score the odd banger and shows some technique. Iwobi is good for falling over and getting the ball caught under himself.

People think hes gonna suddenly stay on his feet cos hes played centrally.
Said it before and I’ll say it again, he got hooked for Nigeria playing 10 and the match report I read said he was very poor and they have better options than him in that position. Until he retired they were often playing John Obi Mikel there.

Status
Not open for further replies.