2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that at the moment this is not so easy to accomplish? Since we binned Silva he's been legitimately top class. Maybe it's a hot streak that ends, but we are at 2 months now.
No I mean I like him a lot, and I want him in the squad, but I also want a more accomplished striker in the mix too to give us more options.

No I mean I like him a lot, and I want him in the squad, but I also want a more accomplished striker in the mix too to give us more options.
I just don't see the point. We have three young, talented strikers who are all playing well. We bring in someone else who takes time away from them and gets us very little extra. This is the one position we have set up a decent future in, and the only way to screw it up is to bring in some 28+ year old to vacuum up minutes.

I've come to accept that he's going to have to be paid at least as much as Niasse in on.

I don't think he has it in him to drop the shoulder and beat a man, or to create something out of nothing when the team is struggling. He's a good athlete who is improving where he can - most notably with his movement in and around the box - but I don't see the makings of a talisman who is going to lead the line in a successful team. There's also the issue of whether or not he can function as a lone striker, considering how long it's been since anyone won a trophy or even qualified for the Champions League playing 4-4-2.

Overall, I think he's OK, but if the club is going to hide behind the wage bill as an excuse for not bringing in better players, fans are going to question why they're sanctioning bumper paydays for the current crop.

Very much this.
If we want to compete at the business end of the table, Lewin is okay as a squad player. Does some things well, severely lacking in others. If you compare his all-round game to someone like Yakubu, he's found wanting in every aspect apart from work rate. Lewin lacks football intelligence, hold up play, 1v1 skills to be the main man for a top team.

Very much this.
If we want to compete at the business end of the table, Lewin is okay as a squad player. Does some things well, severely lacking in others. If you compare his all-round game to someone like Yakubu, he's found wanting in every aspect apart from work rate. Lewin lacks football intelligence, hold up play, 1v1 skills to be the main man for a top team.
Yeah but what age was Yakubu when we signed him?

I said at the match, and especially after watching the extended highlights, that his link up play and maturity on the ball is getting better in line with his confidence. Selects the right ball more times than not and was involved in most of the attacking moves. Delighted for him and cant wait for him to get the call up that he deserves.

My biggest gripe with him is that when he is in an advanced position (but not in a position to score himself), he never seems to pick the right option or pass for others to score. I'm sure someone here will correct me, but I can't remember him creating many chances for others. poor decision-making.

I think his finishing has improved and he's good at bullying CB's and generally being a nuisance.

He's surprised me with his general improvement this year, needs to improve on his final pass though if he is to be regarded as a top-class striker. Kane, aguero etc can assist as well as score goals.

My biggest gripe with him is that when he is in an advanced position (but not in a position to score himself), he never seems to pick the right option or pass for others to score. I'm sure someone here will correct me, but I can't remember him creating many chances for others. poor decision-making.

I think his finishing has improved and he's good at bullying CB's and generally being a nuisance.

He's surprised me with his general improvement this year, needs to improve on his final pass though if he is to be regarded as a top-class striker. Kane, aguero etc can assist as well as score goals.

Zero assists this season according to the BBC site.

did you not see his pass to bernard against newcastle? i absolutely thought nothing was on then BAM DCL gets that pass out of nowhere. then bernard to Kean.

He's doing well. We still need a better striker than him in the squad though. Between them, and Richarlison, we ought to have enough firepower.

Not 100% convinced we do. DCL and Richarlison both on course to get 15 each this season (give or take) which is a pretty decent return and both still have room to improve. Meanwhile, Kean is off the mark and has obvious talent that should be allowed to develop.

But we don't have a regular supply of goals from midfield - neither centrally or in the wide areas - and we've only got one goal from our defenders in the league this season (though I think that figure goes up to four when you factor in the league cup tbf). Oh and we've got a goal difference of -7 so we concede too many.

There are other areas of the squad that need more urgent improvement than up top in my opinion and if you can do that by adding a couple of players who can be relied on to pick up 6 or 7 goals a season in the midfield/ wide areas/ maybe even a defender who gets you a few, then we'll start putting threes and fours past teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.