2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched that goal again and I still can't work out why he was that far behind his line.

Yes both Mina and Holgate shouldn't have got sucked towards the ball but what is he actually doing there?

If you watch, Davies completely misses the freekick in so Holgate has to react to try and put a block in. Mina for some reason flies in from the other side of the box. Don't blame Holgate personally, Davies for the silly foul and missing the ball in and Mina panicked. The less aid about Pickford the better.

In terms of FFP he's the only saleable asset we could flog to allow a big summer of investment.

I still dont think he's the main issue but if someone offered £50 million I would sell him - get Pope or Dubravka in for £25 million and reinvest the rest in a CM, CB & RW.
Whose going to pay 50m for him.

Chelsea
Utd
Spurs

All clubs with equally suspect keepers. Ive said for a while there is a shortage of top keepers in world football and Pickfords ability on the ball in terms of his feet makes him a big asset.

I dont think he'll be sold though - Ancelotti likes to play it out from the back which Pickford is good at.

He needs proper competition at the minimum

`Pickfords ability on the ball in terms of his feet makes him a big asset.'

Is someone going to lose their minds and pay 30mill for him to turn him into a centre half?

He is consistently making more mistakes as Evertons keeper than any I can remember in 50 years.

He is too small of stature and mentality to be an asset for any top 6 football club and is prone to numerous errors and lack of concentration.

Hes simply not good enough and there should be a plan to replace him.

Chelsea
Utd
Spurs

All clubs with equally suspect keepers. Ive said for a while there is a shortage of top keepers in world football and Pickfords ability on the ball in terms of his feet makes him a big asset.

I dont think he'll be sold though - Ancelotti likes to play it out from the back which Pickford is good at.

He needs proper competition at the minimum

He is terrible at playing out from the back. He’s got this reputation for being a good kicker due to his big counter attacking hoofs upfield, but even they rarely come off. He looks horrendously awkward with the ball at his feet.

I don't think he made mistakes for Newcastle's goals. He anticipated a shot and ended up in the goal and then on another night the ref could have blown for a foul when he tried to punch the ball away from danger. He has passion which is good to see from a goalkeeper. People are even slating him for his great save against West Ham. Other goalkeepers would have stood flatfooted.

Watch the clip again. He's gone to his near post (and should have done better there) and then dived back from there across behind the defenders. Look at the angle of it and where he was and where he jumps to.

That shot doesn't get blocked and the irony is Pickford probably gets something on it. Whether he saves it or not we'll never know.

DCL blocks it and the rebound falls back and none of the players react.

Well first he makes likes he going to claim it and then backs off, which was also a crap decision.

I watched it about ten times and still do not understand why he was behind his line.

Even when he tried to pull off his Hollywood save for the blocked shot he was still behind his line FFS.

If you watch, Davies completely misses the freekick in so Holgate has to react to try and put a block in. Mina for some reason flies in from the other side of the box. Don't blame Holgate personally, Davies for the silly foul and missing the ball in and Mina panicked. The less aid about Pickford the better.
I don't blame Holgate.

Mina should know better and definitely gets a bit of blame for running to the ball instead of defending the box.

Still if Pickford is on his line and never tried to make an overly showy save on the blocked shot that goal doesn't go in.

There's no good reason for him to be behind the line when that goal goes in.

It's not good goalkeeping. His initial - major - error is at the near post though.

I fail to see how Delph being a pleb and Davies/Holgate/Mina/Digne all completely missing their men equates to Pickford wanting an MOTD moment, though.
Because there was no need for that over the top save for the blocked shot that made him go backwards.

It's crap keeping.

You can't tell me that's good keeping.

You can tell he was desperate for a MOTD moment at the end of the match with this.
but he's not intending to dive backwards. his hand goes up on the right side of the goal and then it's blocked so he's landing on his feet to reset.

it's not great but the defending overall is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.