2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they were poor subs that disrupted what was looking like a comfortable victory against a very poor side, that coupled with Pickford being an absolute buffoon again meant we got that appalling last few minutes. I wrote off this season a long time ago and nothing surprises me anymore with this lot, be it hammerings to Liverpool or calamities like last night.

I like to think that Ancelotti has now used this period to see just what a bunch of cowardly bottlers we've got to work with and has started to formulate a plan for pre-season and replacing a reasonable number of them in the hope of shifting the attitude within the squad to one that is mentally tougher.

Ancelotti will be given more time than most because of his credentials, but too many tactical changes like the ones last night which effect the game in such a negative way and he'll start to lose that goodwill and find himself under increasing pressure. I hope it doesn't come to that and I honestly think he can take us where we want to be but it's gonna take time/patience and as long as daft tactical decisions like last night are few and far between I'm more comfortable being patient with him than I was Silva/Koeman.

I look forward to revisiting this in October when I'm screaming for him to be binned before Christmas as we get battered 4-0 by West Ham.

Some decent posts here, Ancelloti is surely the man but no one should ever be beyond criticism.

Ancelloti has surely fallen down on thinking that these players can adapt, see out games, show game management etc. At 2-0 with a mentally weak team you keep exactly the same shape and only sub if someones legs have gone. It was a mistake whether we held on or not but as said he hasn't management a bunch of gutless/useless idiots probably ever. Now he knows without doubt the daunting task he has of totally revamping this sorry outfit.

However, I think we should ignore everything he says in press conferences. He has to protect these sorry excuses for footballers. He has to get results out of most of them until the end of the season. He obviously likes Richarlison/DCL. And will give Digne, Mina, Holgate more chances. He knows the rest are not fit for purpose (I include Bernard - he has watched him away from home).

Ps. I am amazed that Holgate/Mina have got away with huge stick last night. The 2 centre backs went AWOL for both goals. Out of position, gutless and slow.

I think they were poor subs that disrupted what was looking like a comfortable victory against a very poor side, that coupled with Pickford being an absolute buffoon again meant we got that appalling last few minutes. I wrote off this season a long time ago and nothing surprises me anymore with this lot, be it hammerings to Liverpool or calamities like last night.

I like to think that Ancelotti has now used this period to see just what a bunch of cowardly bottlers we've got to work with and has started to formulate a plan for pre-season and replacing a reasonable number of them in the hope of shifting the attitude within the squad to one that is mentally tougher.

Ancelotti will be given more time than most because of his credentials, but too many tactical changes like the ones last night which effect the game in such a negative way and he'll start to lose that goodwill and find himself under increasing pressure. I hope it doesn't come to that and I honestly think he can take us where we want to be but it's gonna take time/patience and as long as daft tactical decisions like last night are few and far between I'm more comfortable being patient with him than I was Silva/Koeman.

I look forward to revisiting this in October when I'm screaming for him to be binned before Christmas as we get battered 4-0 by West Ham.
That shambles last night was not down to tactics. The tactics had us dominating a poor team for 93 minutes. Even the changes didn't alter the fact we went into injury time 2-0 up.

The attitudes of the players, their inability to concentrate for a full game and their spineless capitulation when put under a bit of pressure is what cost us the result.

It's the finer details

Niasse both times the ball to his feet, he miscontrolled and lost possession

Davies the same except then concedes a silly foul which leads to the goal

It really really stings that because I was very pleased with how we played
I was very pleased too. That really is why it was such a kick in the teeth. 93 minutes of really good play, followed by a collective brain fart of epic proportions.

Overall, I think Ancelotti's work is showing. I thought to myself that he was a calming influence and looks to be getting through to the players such that they looked like they were addressing the major flaws in the way they were playing and becoming more effective at using their abilities. Can't throw that away over a frustrating final few seconds.

At what point does silly mistakes like this tarnish Ancelotti's time here. I have to give him the rest of the season, and tolerate the fact that he can't magically turn our players into a short list for the ballon d'or overnight.

At least that's January over for actual footballing.

Some of you deserve the crap we go though as a club. Turn on the manager first chance you get and you wonder why we're always so bad.
I think criticising the manager is acceptable no matter what part of his tenure or his stature in the game. I am sure however that Ancelotti is making the same criticisms of himself and his decisions and better prepared for the next time he is in the same position.

Having said all this, I still fully support Ancelotti, and hope these lapses in concentration, especially at the end of games, are minimised and removed from our game sooner rather than later.

That shambles last night was not down to tactics. The tactics had us dominating a poor team for 93 minutes. Even the changes didn't alter the fact we went into injury time 2-0 up.

The attitudes of the players, their inability to concentrate for a full game and their spineless capitulation when put under a bit of pressure is what cost us the result.

Don't get me wrong we should have buried Newcastle and easily seen out the game, they're a terrible team. It's not the first time Carlo has made a set of subs that has made me wonder what he was thinking though and I genuinely think it had an impact last night. I'd lay more of the blame at the players door because a group of professional footballers seemingly in complete control shouldn't be surrendering a lead like that, but Carlo isn't completely blameless in it and shouldn't be immune from criticism.

I think a massive part of our problem is Pickford, I don't like him, he's bang average at best and I don't think our defence is overly confident in him. He gets a load of praise because he lashes a decent long ball now and again, in amongst 10 that go straight out of play.

I've gone off on a tangent there but essentially Carlo is the least of our worries as it stands.

When has a top manager ever admitted to getting it wrong? The likes of Ferguson,Pep,Shankly,Kendall etc would never do it,they may think it in private but they will never admit it publicly as it’s a sign of weakness and winners never admit their weaknesses. Not even he could have foreseen the amount of ineptitude shown by those players in the last couple of minutes.
I am sorry but he should have foreseen what could have happened because it nearly happened before against Brighton where we could have score many goals yet we finding ourselves fighting at the end because of same defensive substitutions. Those substitutions are doing only one thing which is inviting pressure from your opponent. He will be better no doing any changes at all unless injury or fitness concerns...

My concern has always been as great a manager he is I always feel this group of babies/players need a tough manager.

They can't be relied upon to do the basics out of ambition to be the best / their own professional pride they need the fear of a psycho / authoritarian manager who will put the fear of hell into them.

I know he was being dignified last night but I wish he shown a bit more anger in his post match interview.

Yesterday and the anfield cup game would have had SAF lobbing footie boots at the likes of Davies and Delph's heads.

He's Italian they always make defensive subs late on to see out games. The issue is our braindead spineless players can't manage and see out a game they haven't done it under various managers, this happened under Silva too. Yes the subs didn't help but barring putting Gordon on instead of Niasse how many choices did he have?
He might be Italian but he needs to adapt to the premier league and more importantly adapt to the players he has at his disposal. Better not making changes than disrupt a team so badly that it ends up affecting our result.

What is the Italian for "it's it not my fault guv"? Nobody wants this geezer out, but forget anything about
I was very pleased too. That really is why it was such a kick in the teeth. 93 minutes of really good play, followed by a collective brain fart of epic proportions.

Overall, I think Ancelotti's work is showing. I thought to myself that he was a calming influence and looks to be getting through to the players such that they looked like they were addressing the major flaws in the way they were playing and becoming more effective at using their abilities. Can't throw that away over a frustrating final few seconds.

At what point does silly mistakes like this tarnish Ancelotti's time here. I have to give him the rest of the season, and tolerate the fact that he can't magically turn our players into a short list for the ballon d'or overnight.

At least that's January over for actual footballing.
You are another one who was says you were very pleased. Where on earth were you in the ground? I know, you left before the substitutions and were quite rightly pleased at the performance. The faces tumbling down the Upper Bullens steps after the second goal told a different story to yours.

You see .you can be mature and sensible when you want to be lol

He might be Italian but he needs to adapt to the premier league and more importantly adapt to the players he has at his disposal. Better not making changes than disrupt a team so badly that it ends up affecting our result.
True he isn't beyond criticism but these players have got away with murder under various managers. So got me it's mainly their mindset they have capitulated countless times and haven't come from behind all season, that's a lack of leadership and weak mentality. I agree the changes changed the game but that proves our squad isn't good enough and also we don't know the fitness levels of players like Kean and Bernard.

cant really argue with the manager and the squad is so poor and we have so many injuries, do feel might have been better to bring gordon on instead of niasse and he could have bought davies to a 3 man midfield but will never kno. Positives are kean getting his first goal and if he can get this team playing like that for 90 plus minutes im conifident if backed will be better

Status
Not open for further replies.