Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect mate, your talking absolute bobbins. That was a dreadful, injury ravaged Newcastle side we played tonight who replaced their main striker with a Centre Back. Bruce was in damage limitation for the entire match and didn’t expect to get even a draw with that side.
Sorry mate didnt realise we had to be playing a team full of ronaldo’s for our performance to be anything of note, joelinton was offering nothing for them upfront so I can see why he took him off. Not once in my original post did I point to the quality of newcastle’s 11 who are a premier league side regardless of how poor you think their 11 was.

Kepa Arrizabalaga has been poor and Lampard seems like he wants to impress the media with English players so I'm really hoping they bid for Pickford, I think that's the only option to get a decent fee.

Wtf just happened, stunned
Davies and Niasse coming on ruined us. Two stupid substitutions.
how the hell!
get that Davies as far from this club as possible, evey time he steps on the pitch he is kin shocking
Davies 2 points gone thanks to him.
Sorry I’m still utterly confused...WHAT just happened :Blink:

Kean a clear MOTM for me with Bernard + Holgate behind him.

Carlo must be in shock...now we need a couple of players in.

2pts off 5th...8 off 4th...Then give 2 pts away.

Three big problems here;

Coleman (finished), Davies and Niasse are absolutely chronically bad footballers. If you're going to introduce three of them on to a field incrementally, you've then got pretty much a third of the outfield players who are serious weaknesses. The ball comes to them, Newcastle will recycle it. All three must be sold, and feature as little as possible from now on.

Secondly, 'Everton' as an entity are becoming unsupportable. We are managing to produce footballing spectacles which you couldn't imagine. Anyone would say we are cursed.
But it's much more simple than that. It's a lack if leadership on the field. It's two or three leaders telling players to put their foot through the ball, shouting at Pickford to come and collect it.
Holgate and Delph look like they have something about them, but that's two players and effectively 9 passengers. Panic stations is always going to prevail.
Case in hand, City have had huge defensive issues with a lack of leaders (Kompany gone/Laporte missing), and coincedentally have the same issue of late goals and collapses.

Thirdly- Pickford is 110% not good enough. I am tired of watching the ball squirm through is arms and roll past him. Alisson or De Gea would have grabbed that ball at the end, and not let go of it for dear life. He's frustrated with himself. And so he should be. He is not commanding his box, he is panicking with the rest of them.

There is now a gulf between the 'losers club' and the 6/7 players we should be playing week in week out. That being Holgate, Bernard, Richarlison, Sidibe, Calvert Lewin, Digne and potentially Kean and Mina. The rest need to be moved on, whilst reinforcements brought in.

This is a massive job for Ancelotti, he has to gut the club of the losers mentality and bring players in with belief.

It's 'only football', but as fans we are tortured at the moment. It's enough to ruin every other weekend. We are desperately unlucky, but the factors above need to be sorted.

Never in my life did I ever think I'd say this, but I'd give my left leg for this Everton team to have the fight and the character of that Newcastle team tonight.

I don't get this. They were absolutely horrendous there. We've schooled them home and away this season and they've essentially lumped a couple of balls into our box at the end there and won the lottery.

They were as technically weak as they were limp and pathetic in terms of "character", but sometimes you'll get lucky in football.

Well I’m shocked. That was a sickening end to the match. I was gonna say that we played some nice football today, but the game completely changed with the substitutions of Coleman, Davies and Niasse.

Newcastle got very lucky at the end, but we should have seen the game out and got the 3rd goal, we had plenty of chances to.

Status
Not open for further replies.