2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not a priority position but if a decent keeper is available then buy him.
Amazing that you can't just have an opinion or view on someone without drama queens jumping all over it.

Surely that's our Transfer strategy?
No point in buying players who aren't as good as the ones they are replacing.

You could say that about any position.

When i say decent its just a saying. It of course means better. Pickord is ok ish. Shot stopper but other parts of his game let him down and ive never warmed to him.
He will do for now but long term i dont think he's good enough if this club really want to compete. I dont think any top team/club challenging regular for honours would have him as their first choice.

It's not all Pickford's fault, but there is a significant amount of data that suggests he is not very good at saving shots, which remains the core role of a Keeper, despite the increased need to a quarterback / distributor of the ball.

Pickford has an average save % of .632 this season, the 15th worst (of 19 who have 1000 mins or more) in PL, that is based on 87 shots on target conceded this season. Should we have a keeper delivering an "Average" save % of 0.701, based on the 19 keepers, you are talking about 6 goals less conceded; which weighted over the entire season would be 10.36 goals.

That is a massive shift in your defense.

If he wasn't English and somewhat immune to national criticism as a result, he would be a championship keeper know for pulling off the odd worldy

87 shots on target is a pretty small sample size, so that result could just be noise.

Are we giving up better shots on target than other teams are because the defense is poor? I seem to recall massive struggles with set pieces under Silva, and you can't hang that on the goalkeeper.

The data you provided is indicative, but more is required to reach the conclusion that Pickford is poor. He's no Allison, to be sure.

87 shots on target is a pretty small sample size, so that result could just be noise.

Are we giving up better shots on target than other teams are because the defense is poor? I seem to recall massive struggles with set pieces under Silva, and you can't hang that on the goalkeeper.

The data you provided is indicative, but more is required to reach the conclusion that Pickford is poor. He's no Allison, to be sure.
You don't think the goalkeeper can affect how many goals we concede from set pieces? Some shout that.

Surely that's our Transfer strategy?
No point in buying players who aren't as good as the ones they are replacing.

You could say that about any position.

FFCAF5BF-EE37-457C-940B-D00D6562A9AE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.