January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to address this whole nonsense about Bernard whilst I can. We basically all praised and lauded Pienaar throughout his Everton career whilst he was never particularly prolific but we played better and he enhanced Baines’ game just the same as Bernard enhanced Digne’s last season.

Pienaar (PL for Everton):
189 Games / 22 goals / 38 assists

Bernard (Ukrainian League only):
95 Games / 14 goals / 24 assists so double these stats and more output than Pienaar

Bernard (PL for Everton):
46 Games / 4 goals / 5 assists

Multiply above numbers by 4 to get to similar appearances as Pienaar you’re on 16G/20A so whilst not quite as good as Pienaar’s numbers they’re both hardly stat sticks.

Some attacking players knit things together and enable other teammates or the team on a whole to play better. Anyone that doesn’t understand why I rate Bernard frankly doesn’t know jack about footie.

Just to address this whole nonsense about Bernard whilst I can. We basically all praised and lauded Pienaar throughout his Everton career whilst he was never particularly prolific but we played better and he enhanced Baines’ game just the same as Bernard enhanced Digne’s last season.

95 Games / 14 goals / 24 assists so double these stats and more output than Pienaar

Multiply above numbers by 4 to get to similar appearances as Pienaar you’re on 16G/20A so whilst not quite as good as Pienaar’s numbers they’re both hardly stat sticks.

Some attacking players knit things together and enable other teammates or the team on a whole to play better. Anyone that doesn’t understand why I rate Bernard frankly doesn’t know jack about footie.

Unfortunately the stats demons are taking over the world in the digital age. People will actually have you believe that Gylfi Sigurdsson is better at football than Bernard.

Also put into a better team, Bernard is one of the current squad who are likely to thrive and see a pick up in those stats.

Wow! Stars don’t lie but, when you out it like that!
He doesn’t feel in anyway as much of a goal/assist threat than pienaar though, not even close. Strange.

absolutely spot on.

Preach it!

Wow! Stars don’t lie but, when you out it like that!
He doesn’t feel in anyway as much of a goal/assist threat than pienaar though, not even close. Strange.

Pienaar was never a huge goal threat. His link up with Baines was always his best quality along with his ability to hold the ball in tight areas. Same as Bernie.
People who can’t see a footballer in Bernie have been blinded in the way a smokers tastebuds are dead.

We tick so much more with Bernie because he is good on the ball, should he score more goals? Yeah. Does he make other players around him a better player? Absolutely.

Reading between the lines, we are going to have to sell before we can buy. Certainly if we are making any significant investments.
The poor investment is catching up with us in every way, in terms of the squad we have a four ability to spend.
It’s going to be two seasons before this is unwound sufficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.