Unai Emery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh wouldn't be the worst appointment ever, but as others have mentioned his teams are often poor away from home which is something we already struggle with. Also will our players respect him? He is basically a meme atm with the 'good ebening' stuff and I've seen articles about how the players at Arsenal would mock him.

Right but you're blaming Emery for Arsenal not taking a player (who has not moved to anyone), when they wouldn't have been the players first choice.
He went from WBA to Leicester for a reason at the time.

Especially since Arsenal are not ones to go and right, we're getting players X Y and Z. Their recruitment policy has been bizarre for years. Luiz was clearly a last resort since he wasn't getting further targets.

That whole arsenal defence is bang average anyway and has been for years which suggests it isn't down to the manager. Like all football clubs these days its not just the manager buying players any more...

I just stated they needed a steady centre half and someone like evans would have been a far better option than luiz. Could have been someone else aswell. Im not backing down on this. Any manager with an already weak defence and puts david luiz there is heading straight for the sack.

He wasn't the right manager that Arsenal needed. Arsenal needed to depart completely from the Arsene Wenger era were the defence had been reduced completely to rubble - Emery however was probably acquired to continue that stlye despite the fact it had already been shown up.

His reputation has certainly suffered at Arsenal, a lot of it deserved. Asking someone like Sokratis to stand on the corner of the 6 yard box to receive goalkicks for example is seriously negligible management.

However, there's an awful lot to be said about the Arsenal playing staff and boardroom that this guy was tasked with taking on, the players didn't perform for Wenger who had virtually built that club so they were never likely to listen to Emery. Add to that, Arsenal have a boardroom whose entire reason for being is to fleece their own supporters out of every single penny they can get away with for their own gain.

I still rate Emery, winning 3 Europa leagues is a serious achievement that cannot be understated. I just don't see him as the right man to lead us though, I think a lot of the problems he encountered at Arsenal, and was unable to deal with, he'd encounter here as well and he wouldn't have the attacking qualities of Lacazette and Aubameyang to bail him out.
Don’t agree that he played the same way as Wenger at all. They slowed the play down considerably and played tippy-tappy footy with a real lack of urgency.

Had they been more adventurous like under Wenger they would have got top 4 last year.

Eh wouldn't be the worst appointment ever, but as others have mentioned his teams are often poor away from home which is something we already struggle with. Also will our players respect him? He is basically a meme atm with the 'good ebening' stuff and I've seen articles about how the players at Arsenal would mock him.

And the who xhaka thing. He came out of it looking a weak manager.

I just stated they needed a steady centre half and someone like evans would have been a far better option than luiz. Could have been someone else aswell. Im not backing down on this. Any manager with an already weak defence and puts david luiz there is heading straight for the sack.

So you think David Luiz, who signed a day before the window closed, was their primary target? CLEARLY last resort and if you going for last resort then you go for somebody you know.

Goodison form has always been our bread and butter, without it we have become involved in a relegation scrap.

I know it's a bit if cliche about a new manager having to "get us", I believe that though. Big Dunc does and you see what happened.

We need a manager with enthusiasm and charisma to get the most out of the players and fans.
Absolutely , I was saying that in jest.

I'd love us to go back to that battling style of play every week, just with added attack quality down the other end. That's an identity that would make us very difficult to play against and threatening when we won possession back.

Still would want him here.

The fella is a winner , he wins trophies. Especially in Europe, wouldn't mind an average away form in the short term in exchange for some europa leagues and champions league football

He even got arsenal to the final!

Not convinced by this guy at all.

I remember he was near top of my (& many others here) list when he & Monchi were doing a fantastic job at Sevilla.

He’s failed at PSG & Arsenal. It’s a NO from me.

He didn't really "fail" at PSG. He didn't win the champions league. Something they have never won.

I rate him still but I don't want him because some of our fans are seemingly against him already.

We really need someone who the majority want and those who are not sure are at least willing to give him a go. Gallardo seems to be the only realistic candidate who ticks that box and that's because he is an unknown quantity to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.