Marcelo Gallardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

lol

Wiki mods are clearing it up now though

He's not David Moyes, he's not Eddie Howe, he's not Mark Hughes, and he ain't Rafael Benitez either.That fact alone is a massive selling point.He's managing one of the biggest clubs in South America, and he has won the biggest prize, in south american club football on two occasions.I suppose the fact he hasn't managed in europe would make this bit of a gamble.But life is all about taking gambles.One thing is for sure, i think he would be a more popular appointment with the fans, than some of the other names being linked with the job.

To be honest his record at River is ridiculous in every way possible. He dominates cup competitions:
  • Sudamericana winner in 2014 - South America's Europa League.
  • Recopa Sudamericana winner in 2015, 2016 and 2019 - South America's equivalent of the Super Cup between the winners of their Champions and Europa Leagues.
  • Libertadores winner in 2015 and 2018, runner up this year - their Champions League.
  • Copa Argentina winner in 2016 and 2017 - Argentina's FA Cup.
  • Supercopa Argentina winner in 2017 - their charity shield.
Incredible record especially in the continental competitions.. winning 3 of the 6 he's been involved in, and getting to the final in another.

The strangest part about his record is how poor River have been in the league since he's been in charge:

2015 - 9th.
2016 - 9th out of 15.
2017 - 2nd (7 points off top, 6 tops above 8th - Boca ran away with it that year).
2018 - 8th.
2019 - 4th.
2020 - 3rd at the moment, 14 games into the season (two points behind top with a game in hand).

I have absolutely no idea how this record would transfer to us, but the contrast between league and cup performance is mind blowing.

To be honest his record at River is ridiculous in every way possible. He dominates cup competitions:
  • Recopa Sudamericana winner in 2015, 2016 and 2019 - South America's equivalent of the Super Cup between the winners of their Champions and Europa Leagues.
  • Libertadores winner in 2015 and 2018, runner up this year - their Champions League.
Incredible record especially in the continental competitions.. winning 3 of the 6 he's been involved in, and getting to the final in another.

The strangest part about his record is how poor River have been in the league since he's been in charge:

2015 - 9th.
2016 - 9th out of 15.
2017 - 2nd (7 points off top, 6 tops above 8th - Boca ran away with it that year).
2018 - 8th.
2019 - 4th.
2020 - 3rd at the moment, 14 games into the season (two points behind top with a game in hand).

I have absolutely no idea how this record would transfer to us, but the contrast between league and cup performance is mind blowing.

Kinell I thought he had monopolised the league listening to Zatara.

Its a NO from me.

2015 - 9th.
2016 - 9th out of 15.
2018 - 8th.
2019 - 4th.

Like winning the FA Cup and getting relegated in the same season?

*ducks

2015 - 9th.
2016 - 9th out of 15.
2018 - 8th.
2019 - 4th.

Silverware is more important so maybe he priorities the cups over the league?

Kinell I thought he had monopolised the league listening to Zatara.

Its a NO from me.

With all the hype about him I wanted to have a proper look into his time there. The only comparison I can think of would be Zidane at Real - dominated in the CL, under performed to a certain extent domestically. In Gallardo's case, the under performance is wildly worse though.

Like winning the FA Cup and getting relegated in the same season?

*ducks

Seems like an emotional rollercoaster that I'd take all day over what I've seen for decades.

His English is minus nil, he will have to Google Everton to find out what it is, he will be horrified to know we share the city with a dirty big monster club which I shall not name. He knows minus zero about our league and even less about our players. Apart from all that he will be a good fit. Give me the Fat Spanish Waiter anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.