Digne> baines at peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be curious to see how Baines would do in this current side in full health. In his prime, I’m not sure there was a more consistent crosser of the ball, and I have a feeling Bernard would have been the perfect partner just as Pienaar was.

Digne, while I feel he has outrageous technique on the ball, his crossing isn’t as consistent as prime Baines. And as much as we like to rag on Lewin, he doesn’t really get consistently decent service from the wings. Baines might have been just what he needed.

And I honestly believe both of them are/were exceptional footballers and I’m kind of disappointed Baines was never given a trial in central midfield as he started to slow down a bit. He had a hell of a long ball as does Digne

Digne is nowhere near Baines at his peak. Not yet anyway, he’s a bit inconsistent at the moment and his crosses are hit and miss at the moment. Baines’ was underrated with passing inside and through balls.

I think Digne is very similiar in style and I think he could definitely get up to that level, but it’s no contest at the moment. I think that’s the problem with football at the moment, a few good games and your the next best thing and your suddenly getting capped.

We have a love affair with foreign left backs.
From Van den Hauwe, Pistone, Valente and now Digne and I’m sure I’ve missed some.
But Baines peak was absolute class.

BTW Would Phelan and Naismith be classed as foreign?

Status
Not open for further replies.