2019/20 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but if we`re going to break our transfer record, it should be on a striker, as the defence can be tightened up, but having a combination of useless duds and a young lad who isn`t up to speed yet is what`s crippling us.

If you go into games knowing you have a solid defence it should allow the more dynamic forward players to play with greater freedom.

I would actually look at signing a Centre back and a Centre midfielder before signing a forward.

If you go into games knowing you have a solid defence it should allow the more dynamic forward players to play with greater freedom.

I would actually look at signing a Centre back and a Centre midfielder before signing a forward.
Agreed. Sigg, Richie, Bernard and even Theo are all capable of scoring as well as Dom. Just give them the chances to do it.

Agreed. Sigg, Richie, Bernard and even Theo are all capable of scoring as well as Dom. Just give them the chances to do it.

Yeah, I dont see how signing a centre forward with a leaky defence helps the team. Doesnt make any sense to me...they may score double figures but the team wont do well and we will naturally need to sit deep...

As you say, those players are all capable of scoring...id say iwobi / Richarlison / Kean / Bernard are capable of hitting a lot.

Hopefully Brands goes for a super centre back in Jan, and we bring Kean into the eleven by then too.

Would be exciting to see Mina with a class partner at the back.

I loved his charge down the field with the ball at his feet in the second half- thought he was going to rocket the ball thru the back of the net then tear the keeper’s off and lift it to the crowd

This is probably the explanation for not signing this mysterious centre forward that everyone was/is screaming about. The club needs goal scoring opportunities, otherwise you’re building a roof without a house. The current forwards are more than capable of scoring if given a chance by the midfielders; Richarlison, Keane, Walcott, Bernard, Sigurdsson, DCL. And you cannot create those chances when you’re spending half a match sideways passing with caution because one of your CB’s is so slow with a turning circle of a ford ranger.

That isn’t to say, our attack is the finished formula – but for sure a formula better than any the clubs who finished below Everton last year.

Yeah, I dont see how signing a centre forward with a leaky defence helps the team. Doesnt make any sense to me...they may score double figures but the team wont do well and we will naturally need to sit deep...

As you say, those players are all capable of scoring...id say iwobi / Richarlison / Kean / Bernard are capable of hitting a lot.

Hopefully Brands goes for a super centre back in Jan, and we bring Kean into the eleven by then too.

Would be exciting to see Mina with a class partner at the back.

Spot on.

People bang on about Lukaku and if we had him etc.....well we didn't do that much better with him. Same issue, dodgy defence.

We nail that back line and we dont need to score 80 goals.

Spot on.

People bang on about Lukaku and if we had him etc.....well we didn't do that much better with him. Same issue, dodgy defence.

You lose a game by conceding goals; if you don't concede then the minimum you can get is a draw and if you score, even if one goal, then ultimately you win.

It's not difficult logic, but some people struggle to grasp it. Obviously, every team will concede goals along the way, but it's something we really should focus on.

Shffield United have scored the same amount of goals as us, yet they have conceded six less and unsurprisingly they are above us.

Spot on.

You lose a game by conceding goals; if you don't concede then the minimum you can get is a draw and if you score, even if one goal, then ultimately you win.

It's not difficult logic, but some people struggle to grasp it. Obviously, every team will concede goals along the way, but it's something we really should focus on.

Shffield United have scored the same amount of goals as us, yet they have conceded six less and unsurprisingly they are above us.
It's all linked though. There's been a few games where we've conceded goals as a direct result of not being able to score. We push more and more players forward, take more risks, lose our shape, and concede a goal. Attack and defence are all part of the same game, balance is the key.

It's all linked though. There's been a few games where we've conceded goals as a direct result of not being able to score. We push more and more players forward, take more risks, lose our shape, and concede a goal. Attack and defence are all part of the same game, balance is the key.
Don't get me wrong, I know my analysis was oversimplifying the issue as balance is key and attacking prowess can support your defence by neutralising teams.

However, I can't help but think back to the days of Martinez where defensively we were woeful and it's the same with Silva and our poor defensive routines.

If we can become solid defensively, it will alleviate many of the pressures on our under-performing front line, hence why I suggest it should be a priority.

Failure to improve our defence will only have one consequence as the teams who concede the most do not thrive or even survive. Then, the offence will get better.

Don't get me wrong, I know my analysis was oversimplifying the issue as balance is key and attacking prowess can support your defence by neutralising teams.

However, I can't help but think back to the days of Martinez where defensively we were woeful and it's the same with Silva and our poor defensive routines.

If we can become solid defensively, it will alleviate many of the pressures on our under-performing front line, hence why I suggest it should be a priority.

Failure to improve our defence will only have one consequence as the teams who concede the most do not thrive or even survive. Then, the offence will get better.
I honestly just see it the other way round. I think our inability to score is what puts pressure on the team. I think we feel like we can defend OK, but there's no confidence that we can score. It explains why we can't come from behind, if we concede the first goal heads go down because they don't believe we can get the goals we need to win the game. We've kept 3 clean sheets in 9 league games now which isn't bad. In the 5 games we've lost we've scored a total of 2 goals, and in 2, arguably 3 of them, we've conceded the second goal as a direct result of desperately trying to get a goal ourselves. We had plenty of chances to score against Bournemouth and Villa but didn't take them, if we'd managed to take one we could have managed the game better and not conceded again.

We still need another centre half, but for me either a new striker or a big improvement from one of the ones we have is absolutely vital if we're to progress past where we've been for the past few years. The new centre half would be alongside Mina, who is starting to really look the part.

I believe that Mina would be a lot more useful to us, if we could buy a class left back that could protect him more than is happening at present.
Most teams seem to attack us down our left flank, I can only assume it's easier for them than down Colemans flank. I think it would be worth
putting Baines at left back for 3 or 4 games just to see if it is any better for Mina.

Status
Not open for further replies.