Squad rebuild 50% complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Bernard listed in the "contracts to review?"

Crazy.
He should be one of the first names on the team sheet.
At the moment for sure.

But as we improve and sign more quality, he's still someone who should be around the squad and rotated.
The only improvement on Bernard would be Messi!
Zat hates him because he’s not 17.

If we dont 'review' his contract then surely it would just expire...so of course it needs reviewing and hopefully culminates in an extended deal.

At the moment for sure.

But as we improve and sign more quality, he's still someone who should be around the squad and rotated.

If that applies to Bernard then for me, it applies to the whole squad aside from Digne and maybe Gomes.

They are the only two players I would not take offers for.

Players who could (Based on current form or potential) contribute long term to a squad capable of a sustained push towards top 6

Digne
Gomes - ( not consistent enough)
Davies - Possibly off bench
Richarlison
Bernard (Maybe)

Potentially:
Sidibe
Kean
Gbamin

Squad is 20% rebuilt IMHO - massive amount of work to do

But that core will leave, because we aren't going anywhere. You think richarldson, digne, gomes, Bernard , Kean to make a few are going to be here in 3 years if we are midtable still and selling everyone around them?

May as well add them to the list and that pretty much leaves around 5 players left , needing at least 20 players in 3 seasons.

That core will leave if we end up mid table because they are supported by a load of mediocre players who arent good enough. So either way, they are going to leave. We may as well just give up now and fold the team. Because mediocre players that you want to keep rather than sell and replace with better arent suddenly going to be good enough to move us on.

That core will leave if we end up mid table because they are supported by a load of mediocre players who arent good enough. So either way, they are going to leave. We may as well just give up now and fold the team. Because mediocre players that you want to keep rather than sell and replace with better arent suddenly going to be good enough to move us on.
Not if we have ambition. And ambition is not planning on fireselling the squad every year.

That's rebuilding on a massive scale, one we can't even afford without signing players of the current calibre to make the numbers up.

Players may stay If there is a reason to. Not all will but some may if there is something to get behind. Swapping 9 players every summer is relegation tactics

Not if we have ambition. And ambition is not planning on fireselling the squad every year.

That's rebuilding on a massive scale, one we can't even afford without signing players of the current calibre to make the numbers up.

Players may stay If there is a reason to. Not all will but some may if there is something to get behind. Swapping 9 players every summer is relegation tactics

I get what your saying and Zat hasnt really made it very clear with his agenda towards certain players.

But we ended last season with 43 players and we bought 6 players and loaned 1 in the summer.

So thats close to 50 players, now of course we sold some of them some of their contracts expired and without looking properly at the players we still have a good few out on loan that we would like to shift.

Brands has said in the past that ideally he would like to bring in 2 or 3 players every summer and ship out the same amount, but till then we need to "cleanse" the squad. Brands has been here 3 windows and in that time has been involved in 60 transfers/loan deals, thats a staggering amount of players and im sure it will continue for a few more windows till we have an acceptable and workable squad.

So whilst I doubt we will be seeing anything like the numbers Zat has shown, in just 3 windows Brands has already brought in 11 players, there are question marks on 4 players due to injury and lack of game time, but the other 7 have come and improved not just the squad but in most case the first team.

Anyway, its a long process and we shall see what the future brings.

But its swapping the players that arent good enough for ones that are. And he is talking about bringing 14 players over 4 windows, while 18 out (many of which will leave naturally due to contract expiration anyway). So only 3/4 per window, not 9.

He isnt talking about replacing 9 of the first 11 each summer, in fact he is only asking for a CB and a RB of our current first 11 if you go back to the first post. The squad players are easier changed but they need to be good enough to step in, which most arent currently.

If you want to claim ambition, you need to be buying players for every area of the squad to match that, not going into games with players like steklenberg, tosun, niasse, schneiderlin etc. Also lots of the players he talks about leaving, are already out on loan so are hardly a loss, and again, it was a post about contracts expiring, hardly fireselling the squad.

I get what your saying and Zat hasnt really made it very clear with his agenda towards certain players.

But we ended last season with 43 players and we bought 6 players and loaned 1 in the summer.

So thats close to 50 players, now of course we sold some of them some of their contracts expired and without looking properly at the players we still have a good few out on loan that we would like to shift.

Brands has said in the past that ideally he would like to bring in 2 or 3 players every summer and ship out the same amount, but till then we need to "cleanse" the squad. Brands has been here 3 windows and in that time has been involved in 60 transfers/loan deals, thats a staggering amount of players and im sure it will continue for a few more windows till we have an acceptable and workable squad.

So whilst I doubt we will be seeing anything like the numbers Zat has shown, in just 3 windows Brands has already brought in 11 players, there are question marks on 4 players due to injury and lack of game time, but the other 7 have come and improved not just the squad but in most case the first team.

Anyway, its a long process and we shall see what the future brings.
We do need to get rid of players but I'd rather see us do it in a normal way rather than asking the club to firesell the entire squad.

Just bugs me a little that some fans can't see the flaw in the logic of selling and buying on a mass scale every year. The squad will naturally change over time. I just don't get where people think we have got the money to buy on mass every year. Without selling our first choice players then we aren't making much money from sales anymore, with BMD probably tightening the strings even more if/when we start that.

I think I get you now...

So we won't be able to keep our better players.
We can't sell as many as the OP suggests as that is harmful to progress.
We can only buy players of similar calibre we have now.
We need to be ambitious and by doing so will have greater success sooner.
Trading players could spell relegation.

I think you don't really know what you have an opinion on. Must be fun just typing words without coherence.

Our problem is if we continue to finish mid-table or 7th and 8th then the better players we have are more likely to want pastures new. It is a vicious circle. We are still not in a position to get the choice of players we need. This is why it is crucial to take advantage of the floundering top 6 teams such as Man Utd, Arsenal possibly Chelsea and maybe Spurs at the moment but we have floundered more than them. We have to crack the top 6 somehow and if we do then our chance of better players increase. Until then we will be up against it keeping our better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.