Chris Wilder

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why expectations and managed expectations are hugely important for our fanbase, more so than any other club and now more than ever.

Given the vast sums we've spent over the last few years, the expectations of the club have skyrocketed. And, while a lot do/did, I'm not sure that most Evertonians agree/d that Silva was underqualified for the role. Many harbour/ed aspirations of Mourinho, rightly or wrongly.

That's quite a gulf in terms of the managerial food chain, and it probably explains why the management situation seems so hopeless at the moment, because there is no consensus for a realistic alternative.
tbh, Moshiri could just throw money at the 'old mourinho' and hope it sticks...all the while, the plan to find the 'new - porto - pre chelsea mourinho' while admirable is not working - and is costing him....and eventually us, a 'king mint

Fully understand the people who think this is pure made up bull got no desire to prove my worth or the credibility of the ‘rumour’ if you think there’s a possibility then I think this is what he offers;

Honest he doesn’t hide after a loss says it as it is.
Creates team atmosphere and high moral.
Rotates various tactical systems dependant on the challenge.
Aims to win every football match.
Understands English football, pretty sure he’d get Everton unlike some previous managers.
When losing makes changes early and throws the kitchen sink to save a game.
Worked at every level with a modest playing career.

I’d prefer Mourinho or Benitez personally because I’d love a born winner but if not I don’t want another Martinez or Silva

Fully understand the people who think this is pure made up bull got no desire to prove my worth or the credibility of the ‘rumour’ if you think there’s a possibility then I think this is what he offers;

Understands English football, pretty sure he’d get Everton unlike some previous managers.

I’d prefer Mourinho or Benitez personally because I’d love a born winner but if not I don’t want another Martinez or Silva

we could defo do a lot worse and he obv has a very very good understaning regards players at lower level, probly got a good scouting network set up, so we could pinch the next cahill and the like ..

Will have to see how he does for the remaining of the season, If it's Brands who decides who our next manager is going to be I very much doubt he would put Wilder at the top of his list.

I see parallels with Moyes regarding Wilder.

He must just be thriving at a club where he is potentially over-achieving, that awful description used in football, and have the personnel and setup there that suits him. He couldn't point to anything which would make me confident that he could take us on successfully.

Whoever the next manager is and whenever he arrives, I'd like to see someone with some degree of a track record spread out over several clubs, rather than a one-club merchant or a job-hopper who has achieved nothing of note within a significant footballing league/country.

The margin of error is already miniscule for the next manager and the board / Brands will be on hiding to nothing if they conjure another Silva-esque appointment.

This is the same logic that people used to use about our commercial dealings though. As if Apple and Ferrari were sat there willing to give us £100m a year and we were just to stupid to ask. It wasn't true, and nor is this. Benitez would probably come because he's a mercenary who'd do anything for the right money, but the likes of Mourinho wouldn't give us the time of day. Not a chance that type of manager wants to come to a club where your best players get sold every time there's a decent offer on the table and you're picking up cast offs from the top 6. The idea that it's only in managerial appointments that we lack ambition is way off the mark.
At the moment we are not attractive from a commercial point of view, we are a long standing Premiership club, but there isn't really anything about us that would attract extra millions of commercial revenue.

A team that is challenging for top four and winning cups would raise our profile enormously and with it our commerical potential would rise as well.

It isn't a willingness to spend money on managers that has been the problem because we have spent a fortune hiring and firing managers. The problem has been the managers we have been after.

I doubt that we are after Mourinho and I agree that even if we were it would be a challenge to get him to join Everton. The other side of that argument is that unless Mourinho is prepared to leave England again to work then it is quite likely his managerial career is finished.

We are a football club, everything revolves around our team and it's success or failure.

I can't say that recent managerial appointments have had me confident that we were being ambitious . I have supported them all, as I always will and with each new appointment my hope is that this is the next Howard Kendall, but it is more hope than expectation.

Isn't he a Sheffield lad?

supported them, played for them and managed them, he's now in the prem with them

have you ever thought even if we did want him ( I doubt we do ) he's happy where he is

He must just be thriving at a club where he is potentially over-achieving, that awful description used in football, and have the personnel and setup there that suits him. He couldn't point to anything which would make me confident that he could take us on successfully.

Whoever the next manager is and whenever he arrives, I'd like to see someone with some degree of a track record spread out over several clubs, rather than a one-club merchant or a job-hopper who has achieved nothing of note within a significant footballing league/country.

The margin of error is already miniscule for the next manager and the board / Brands will be on hiding to nothing if they conjure another Silva-esque appointment.
Chris Wilder is only three or four years young than David Moyes is now.... Moyes was only about 38 when he was appointed manager at Everton.

The margin , of error is already miniscule for the next manager and the board / Brands will be on hiding to nothing if they conjure another Silva-esque appointment.

Whilst I understand where you’re coming from, may I ask you who you would go for? The Managerial talent seems to be quite thin on the ground these days, just ask Man Utd, they can go and get pretty much anyone they wanted and they’re struggling. There’s a few ‘elite’ managers that always get mentioned when a big job comes up and the usual suspects when a ‘firefighting’ job comes up. That puts us in the bracket of looking for the next big thing.
You’d like someone with a “proven track record spread out over several clubs”? Other than Benitez, I’m struggling to think of anyone with that criteria that would be realistic. Maybe Bielsa. I’ve even seen people on here not wanting Allegri because he hasn’t proved himself elsewhere, there’s Me? Ten Hag, Jardim, or Blanc. I’d also interview Farke, I think he has some promise.
What I’ve seen of Wilder though, I certainly wouldn’t be averse to it.

Whilst I understand where you’re coming from, may I ask you who you would go for? The Managerial talent seems to be quite thin on the ground these days, just ask Man Utd, they can go and get pretty much anyone they wanted and they’re struggling. There’s a few ‘elite’ managers that always get mentioned when a big job comes up and the usual suspects when a ‘firefighting’ job comes up. That puts us in the bracket of looking for the next big thing.
You’d like someone with a “proven track record spread out over several clubs”? Other than Benitez, I’m struggling to think of anyone with that criteria that would be realistic. Maybe Bielsa. I’ve even seen people on here not wanting Allegri because he hasn’t proved himself elsewhere, there’s Me? Ten Hag, Jardim, or Blanc. I’d also interview Farke, I think he has some promise.
What I’ve seen of Wilder though, I certainly wouldn’t be averse to it.

I've said elsewhere previously I would go for Benitez. I don't find that particularly inspiring but there it is.

Where I would agree with you is I would prefer someone relatively untested over the appointment of some journeyman who has had 20 years in management but nothing much to show for it.

Other than that, Marcelo Gallardo. Granted he doesn't have success at several clubs, but he has done it at the highest level in South America and he can't exactly be overlooked having not yet had an opportunity in Europe and with clubs of the size of Barcelona supposedly sniffing around.

The pickings are slim I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.