2019/20 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
kind of in the same sort of capacity as what mclean was doing regards the poppy..

no room in for this in football, esp when every match is beamed round the globe to trizillions
Not really mate. Two completely different things and claiming they're similar shows an ignorance to what McClean is doing. McClean has every right to not wear the poppy as it represents the fallen of an army that colonised his homeland and who were involved in collusion and the murder of civilians. He didn't choose to be under British rule so British patriotism shouldn't be forced upon him. The poppy doesn't just represent WW1 and WW2 which I think a lot of people overlook. Cenk Tosun saluted like he was proud of Turkey invading Syria. Really fail to see the similarities mate.

But millions do it....millions.

They are allowed to show support, its not illegal. You may or may not agree, but its a persons right to do so.

Now rules in football dont allow these types of celebrations so im sure they will be fined, as england was for the poppy.
Of course they’re allowed to. So is he. I think they’re both idiots for doing it. Simple. Try to keep track of what point you’re making yeah?

Noting you name, so trying to be sensitive to the McLean issue, but I think they're very comparable. Both are political gestures arising from a nationalist viewpoint. McLean refused to, as he saw it, support the British army. Tosun is not pretending to be a soldier, but is supporting his own nation's army, despite their doing something that most of the world is against.
They’re quite literally the exact opposite of each other. One is supporting armed forces, the other is refusing to do so. They could not be any further apart.

Of course they’re allowed to. So is he. I think they’re both idiots for doing it. Simple. Try to keep track of what point you’re making yeah?

ok mate.

Idiots saying he is supporting the attacks of children need to take a long look at themselves.

The man was supporting his country military, simple as that.

ok mate.

Idiots saying he is supporting the attacks of children need to take a long look at themselves.

The man was supporting his country military, simple as that.
People need to seriously consider whether it is appropriate to offer unswerving support to their armed forces. I don't see why it is always seen as a virtuous action to offer support. If the military action being taken is aggressive, unjust, illegal or just morally wrong, support should not be offered without criticism.

This veneration without question of armed forces around the world is always played upon by unsavoury politicians (look at what Trump does atm with his constant mention of 'vets' and 'our patriot armed forces') as a means to get effective public support for their military interventions. Yes, they are men and women who are sent into dangerous situations by their politicians, but that does not automatically make them heroes and it does not automatically make them worthy of our support. It is possible to wish that no harm befalls them without giving tacit support to their actions. People need to realise that.

This Tosun situation is just awful. Personally I wouldn't care if it was Messi doing it at our club - I want him gone.

Last edited:
People need to seriously consider whether it is appropriate to offer unswerving support to their armed forces. I don't see why it is always seen as a virtuous action to offer support. If the military action being taken is aggressive, unjust, illegal or just morally wrong, support should not be offered without criticism.

This veneration without question of armed forces around the world is always played upon by unsavoury politicians (look at what Trump does atm with his constant mention of 'vets' and 'our patriot armed forces') as a means to get effective public support for their military interventions. Yes, they are men and women who are sent into dangerous situations by their politicians, but that does not automatically make them heroes and it does not make them worthy of our support. It is possible to wish that no harm befalls them without giving tacit support to their actions. People need to realise that.

This Tosun situation is just awful. Personally I wouldn't care if it was Messi doing it at our club - I want him gone.

How and why military people are sent into situations is not the point, and not why ppl support armed forces. They are supporting the people and individuals that are actually doing the “work”.

Not every person listed is put on front line, or even fires a weapon.

the support is of these individuals dedicating their career and life for others.

How and why military people are sent into situations is not the point, and not why ppl support armed forces. They are supporting the people and individuals that are actually doing the “work”.

Not every person listed is put on front line, or even fires a weapon.

the support is of these individuals dedicating their career and life for others.
No it’s a hangover from times of conscription. People think of the ‘heroes’ of the world wars who they see as fighting for freedom and being pressed into service at a time of need. They then mistakenly feel the same way about professional soldiers who have chosen to sign up to the modern forces in completely different circumstances.

Tosun doesn’t strike me as a great character to have around, and he’s an awful footballer to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.