Old Everton Pictures

Bryan Douglas a role model for bally sad to see in the 1980;s he stood on his market stall in Clitheroe with a DIY products for sale with a sign stating he was a former Blackburn player - The Catt nearly signed him , but went for Fred Pickering - Dennis Law was another player Bally modeled his game on -
View attachment 68162
Top player Was Bryan, still going at 85. Though I doubt Harry would sign a 30yr old winger cum inside forward / mid fielder, he got rid of Collins because he was 30. Douglas pulled the strings / made the bullets for Blackburn and Pickering

Robbed that night with a perfectly good goal chalked off for offside.
I was there but couldn't see perfectly because the place was heaving.
Vernon wasn't offside, but Young who, iirc, headed it back across the goal probably was, stricter interpretation back then plus a foreign reff.
There is, somewhere in the interweb a 10sec grainy clip which shows the 'goal' which seems to confirm this.
I found it once by accident, I watched a clip, then clicked on one of the 8 thumbnails, watched something, clicked on one of the 8 thumbnails about 6 times...inbetween drinks.

It has to be said that we were very unlucky in the draw, no Icelandic part timers like the rs 12 mths later for us, oh no we some how drew the favourites, who went on to win it 2yrs on the run.
Add to that players struggling for form and fitness, players had to play out of position and we had to put in an untried 18 yr old.
I honestly believe that if the team that beat fulham in May played in Sept we would've pasted them - European pedigree or not.
Everton That.

A young Westy -
GWSM.jpg

That was the worst game I seen Labby perform in never had that many bad games as he was class - he seemed to get the runaround that game........
That was deep into Labby's self admitted poor form self doubt phase, so bad he decided to retire, Harry convinced him to stay on until the end of the season.
The decision thus made, lo and behold the negative pressure lifted, form improved, confidence soared, the rest as they say is history
Strange thing the human mind.