2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately he's going to have to carry the can eventually if managers and players obtained his time in charge.

How long does he get? 3 years? 5? Does he go if there's a major crisis?

I think he's got 2 more years of mediocrity to overcome and another manager before we get it right. Bah!

A man who slthers off and doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

"DoF". Utter bollokcs of a description for what this feller does. He's a Head Scout, and a bad one at that.

Another BS Moshiri appointment.

"DoF". Utter bollokcs of a description for what this feller does. He's a Head Scout, and a bad one at that.

With the players Silva has at his disposal, we should be rolling over teams like Sheffield United and you know it.
We hardly created a Chan e due to Silva's brand of boring, insipid style of football. Every team knows what we are going to do before us, it's so easy to set up against, we have good players who are just not performing.

With the players Silva has at his disposal, we should be rolling over teams like Sheffield United and you know it.
We hardly created a Chan e due to Silva's brand of boring, insipid style of football. Every team knows what we are going to do before us, it's so easy to set up against, we have good players who are just not performing.
Apart from Tosun, the forwards we have are all of a similar type. There's been no thought gone into blending the attack to have a variation in how we approach teams that sit back in numbers. Brands is stuck with his Eredivisie mentality of believing teams will come out and play football; he really only needed to look back to the recent past to learn from the Martinez era that we have difficulty especially at home with teams who refuse to play. He should have had that imprinted on his consciousness when assembling a forward line for this club.

I can take or leave Silva (personally, I think unless you have massive financial backing we wont do much better than him), but I have no faith whatsoever in Brands. His performance this summer was pathetic, and I see no discernible plan or set of principles that guide him. IMO he's way out of his comfort zone here.

Apart from Tosun, the forwards we have are all of a similar type. There's been no thought gone into blending the attack to have a variation in how we approach teams that sit back in numbers. Brands is stuck with his Eredivisie mentality of beleiving teams will come out and play football; he really only needed to look back to the recent past to learn from the Martinez era that we have difficulty especially at home with teams who refuse to play. He should have had that imprinted on his consciousness when assembling a forward line for this club.

I can take or leave Silva (personally, I think unless you have massive financial backing we wont do much better than him), but I have no faith whatsoever in Brands. His performance this summer was pathetic, and I see no discernible plan or set of principles that guide him. IMO he's way out of his comfort zone here.

DCL and Kean are not similar in any way

DCL and Kean are not similar in any way
They have no link up play and they are primarily athletes...add Richarlison to that description.

We need someone in attack capable of finding space in the box and with the vision and composure to see or wait for another player in a better position to receive the ball.

This lot are cluelss unless the ball is belted up to them to run onto and carry.

The cash spent on this forward line - and its one dimensional.

They have no link up play and they are primarily athletes...add Richarlison to that description.

We need someone in attack capable of finding space in the box and with the vision and composure to see or wait for another player in a better position to receive the ball.

This lot are cluelss unless the ball is belted up to them to run onto and carry.

Poor Silva. Having to work with the scraps of talent of the Brazil #9 and Italian striker.

It’s definitely one dimensional when the only tactic is to get it wide and cross it in.

But they play differently so are not the same.

Bambi likes the ball to his feet, with his back to goal
Kean wants the ball played in behind the defence

The problem, which is painfully obvious to 99% of fans, is the tactics. The ball goes between the back line to the midfielders, back to the defence across then back into the midfield before trying to played out to the wing

While all this is going on the opposition has setup a nice block of 10 players and we aimlessly cross it to nobody

The football is not fast, not free flowing, it’s absolutely turd and is the easiest option to setup against.

Ultimately he's going to have to carry the can eventually if managers and players obtained his time in charge.

How long does he get? 3 years? 5? Does he go if there's a major crisis?

I think he's got 2 more years of mediocrity to overcome and another manager before we get it right. Bah!

To get us in the Championship?

For me Dave Silva is the problem not Brands. Good players have been broughht injust poorly used and an awful lot of rubbish has been moved on which was what you were shouting for a couple of month back.

So you would like Walsh back? If not him , who?

Apart from Tosun, the forwards we have are all of a similar type. There's been no thought gone into blending the attack to have a variation in how we approach teams that sit back in numbers. Brands is stuck with his Eredivisie mentality of believing teams will come out and play football; he really only needed to look back to the recent past to learn from the Martinez era that we have difficulty especially at home with teams who refuse to play. He should have had that imprinted on his consciousness when assembling a forward line for this club.

Think hes on a steep learning curve to be honest, its a very good point on the Dutch league. What should have been obvious in our recruitment is that last season we struggled to breakdown teams who played a blanket defense, also teams who bullied us and lacked a cutting edge it was evident in so many of our disappointing results last season.

In our recruitment this season it just seems not to have been identified or addressed, two results so far, Villa and SU, both pack their defenses, we dont have the cutting edge to break them down and boom, hit on the counter attack by a sucker punch, or an individual error costs us. Once we we go behind our confidence wilts and that is a worry. Leadership, resilience and character are all important aspects in recruitment again it seems this hasnt been identified. We just melt.

An aspect that seems worrying is the dynamic between the business and playing staff, clearly we are basket case financially, that remedial situation has seen the managers wishes in regard to the squad not be prioritized over the needs of business. We have seen Gueye and Lookman sold for the needs of the business against the managers wishes. The manager spent a good five months last year gelling the squad to relative success and consistency in the second half of the season last year. Due to two opposing forces, selling players he wanted to keep and getting replacements and the last possible minute before the season starts has seen us take a regressive step back to square one with a team that needs to gel again.

That's before we talk about the bullet we took in recruitment at center back and lack of them in recruitment leaving us short and lacking any meaningful competition, do you think Mina or Keane are concerned that they will loose their place.

I said turning around this squad was a three year job, job so i will give Brands the benefit of doubt, but there is a lot of truth in what you say that the man is on a steep learning curve here, its not the Dutch league and worryingly, aspects and traits of skill sets that need to be recruited just hanvt been identified and actioned. The timeline of recruitment has also been poor both out and in and undermining a lot of the good work done in the second half of the season last year by the manager. Its most definitely has impacted.

Are we stronger then the end of last season? Jury massively out on that and if we are not our DOF has questions to answer as to his contribution to that.

Silva is a good coach and will do something with this team, but will be a process rather then an event given all i mentioned above and the difficult circumstances he headed into the season with. Strangely i think City is a good game for us up next, their style of play will suit us, you know what i mean, i know.

Last edited:
I actually hope he dosent spend in January now, unless Silva has gone.
Right now we can and are playing a side with players bought by 4 different managers it's crazy, 5 on the off chance Holgate plays
Moyes -Colman, Sam - Tosun or Walcott, Koeman -Morgan Siggy or Keane

We need to get a new manager in before the window starts then go for players he can work with, this is what Brands needs to be looking at.
A bunch of players who all compliment each other and a manager who isn't useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.