Match Thread Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not complaining about winning this one, but why can't we have a boringly efficient 2-0?
We're a very good home team, but a fairly poor away team. The next step in our development is to be a tougher proposition away from Goodison.
Don't agree mate. Not based on the two games this season anyway. We controlled both games on the whole, having well over 60% possession in each and conceding comfortably single figure attempts on goal. You are never going to keep home teams down for the full 90 minutes as the crowd get behind them, but we've done a pretty good job, other than put the ball in the net ourselves. Had we converted just a few of the numerous clear cut chances we created against Palace and Villa, we could very easily be sitting here on 12 points now.

I'm not concerned about our away form at all, just the sitters we've been missing. But the last 2 games we've vastly improved our percentage of shots on target and if we keep doing that we'll be fine.

As regards todays game, thought Mina, Delp, Iwobi, Siggy and Richy were all good. Delph arguably deserved his Sky MOM award, but I've given my vote to Richy as he scored twice and he's in my fantasy league team.

Just a word re Digne's performance. He was up against a rapid and in form player who is revelling in his new wing back role. It's always difficult when you're up against somebody so much quicker than you are, and Digne isn't slow by any means. Plus he missed the cover that Bernard's natural game would have provided. that's not a slight on Iwobi by the way. The good news is that he won't be tested like this every week. as no other team plays with wing backs as far as I'm aware. His game is much more suited to coping with traditional wingers/wide front men.

A few candidates for MoM there, Richarlison, Siggurdson, Iwobi, Mina, Gomes but I went for Delph. Apart from getting a yellow for one mistimed tackle he was word perfect. This is a horrible Wolves team though, no finesse at all, and lucky to only get the one red card. How Kean wasn't given a penalty for the two man assault on him - Salah would have been given a penalty and an award from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority for that.

MOTM Richarlison not only for his goals but the way he took control when the two new players went off. Tackling back, scoring, knowing what to do at that stage of the game. Delph, Gomes and Mina also had decent games. Thought Digne recovered well against Traore (as he tired?).

Could see the influence of the competition for places up front.

Wolves - have a soft spot for them as I remember the days when they were in Europe before. But... I have to say that they seem to have picked up a second-rate version of the RS/City tactics. Play sexy football when you are attacking, and then dive if you lose a 50-50 and instruct your forwards and midfielders to make snide tactical fouls to stop a counter attack (which you will get fewer yellow cards for because the players are not defenders and you are a 'footballing side').

Just heading back to wolves now , great game for the neutral , and will take what ever gloating comments on the chin that come my way . Thought Everton played well offensively , but we didn’t help our selves gifting you the first goal which is unlike our captain coady . We played very open which is very uncharacteristic of us , but new from starting both vinagre and traore we would be suspect in defence . Congratulations on the win , and look forward to seeing you at the Molineux for a bit of revenge . ;)

Nice one mate. Been a good team to watch since coming up; I thought your lot were a bit filthy today but then that could be some blue tinted specs in part...

Barring two games a season (and any time we get drawn in the cups) I wish you and your lot all the best. Fingers crossed for a good Euro run for yous and all.

Good win for Everton Wolves have got some decent players but all them long balls and cynical fouls was like watching Wimbledon in their prime

Don't agree mate. Not based on the two games this season anyway. We controlled both games on the whole, having well over 60% possession in each and conceding comfortably single figure attempts on goal. You are never going to keep home teams down for the full 90 minutes as the crowd get behind them, but we've done a pretty good job, other than put the ball in the net ourselves. Had we converted just a few of the numerous clear cut chances we created against Palace and Villa, we could very easily be sitting here on 12 points now.

I'm not concerned about our away form at all, just the sitters we've been missing. But the last 2 games we've vastly improved our percentage of shots on target and if we keep doing that we'll be fine.

As regards todays game, thought Mina, Delp, Iwobi, Siggy and Richy were all good. Delph arguably deserved his Sky MOM award, but I've given my vote to Richy as he scored twice and he's in my fantasy league team.

Just a word re Digne's performance. He was up against a rapid and in form player who is revelling in his new wing back role. It's always difficult when you're up against somebody so much quicker than you are, and Digne isn't slow by any means. Plus he missed the cover that Bernard's natural game would have provided. that's not a slight on Iwobi by the way. The good news is that he won't be tested like this every week. as no other team plays with wing backs as far as I'm aware. His game is much more suited to coping with traditional wingers/wide front men.

Boss post, this. I have nothing to add, but by quoting it I hope some people might attribute some of this wisdom to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.