2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He set up both of Keans chances
If Kean starts to slot and plays on the left of centre then Bernard / Digne /Kean combination is going to cause a lot of teams a lot of problems
Same with Siggy
He can’t be blamed if Walcott and DCL can’t finish the chances he creates
Bernard’s through ball for Kean’s first chance was pure filth!

More of that please! :D

This fella is a treasure. Best proper footballer I've seen play for us in yonks. Give the jibbers to my eyes.

He set up both of Keans chances
If Kean starts to slot and plays on the left of centre then Bernard / Digne /Kean combination is going to cause a lot of teams a lot of problems
Same with Siggy
He can’t be blamed if Walcott and DCL can’t finish the chances he creates

The difference this season ( hopefully ) will be that Bernie and Richarlison have now got a striker in Kean, who can do the business and at least get into goal scoring positions.

It must be incredibly frustrating, knowing that that lovely through ball that you`ve just put through to Donkey Championship Loser is going to end up in the stands ( at best )

It must be very tempting to to keep hold of the ball and have a go yourself, rather than give it to that waste of space.

On the agenda part, it really isn't that. I've stated a few times since yesterday that Bernard has done enough to stay in the team for at least a few weeks now because he is the only one showing up
This is what I don't really understand.

During the final third of last season Everton were on the whole very good, and only the top 2 had a better record than us. We had some excellent results against the top 6 in that run. Naturally we had some good performers during that period but Bernard and Gana were arguably the stand out ones. But you have spent literally the whole summer arguing that we should be replacing him.

Throughout pre season, Bernard has been awful in games, looking miles off the pace and totally out of synch with both himself and the other players. I don't see how he could have actually played worse in the final pre-season game against Bremen. Fortunately he improved against Palace (without being any great shakes might I add) and Saturday showed signs of the form that excited most of us fans at the end of last season. But now you're saying he is the only one showing up but in reality he has only hit anything like last seasons form in the one game.

The main reason you get a lot of stick on this forum mate is your tendency to rely so much on stats in your arguments. The fact Bernard scored at the weekend and the stats show him to be our most effective player, is now being turned against you. That we are only 2 games into the season only adds to the irony. Most of us fans judge players performance by our eyes, not figures. The figures show Everton have had 10 clean sheets in 13 games, and a major part of that is the hard work that both Bernard and Richarlison (somebody else you have been critical of recently) in supporting their full backs. Stats don't see that side of the game but our eyes do.

This is what I don't really understand.

During the final third of last season Everton were on the whole very good, and only the top 2 had a better record than us. We had some excellent results against the top 6 in that run. Naturally we had some good performers during that period but Bernard and Gana were arguably the stand out ones. But you have spent literally the whole summer arguing that we should be replacing him.

Throughout pre season, Bernard has been awful in games, looking miles off the pace and totally out of synch with both himself and the other players. I don't see how he could have actually played worse in the final pre-season game against Bremen. Fortunately he improved against Palace (without being any great shakes might I add) and Saturday showed signs of the form that excited most of us fans at the end of last season. But now you're saying he is the only one showing up but in reality he has only hit anything like last seasons form in the one game.

The main reason you get a lot of stick on this forum mate is your tendency to rely so much on stats in your arguments. The fact Bernard scored at the weekend and the stats show him to be our most effective player, is now being turned against you. That we are only 2 games into the season only adds to the irony. Most of us fans judge players performance by our eyes, not figures. The figures show Everton have had 10 clean sheets in 13 games, and a major part of that is the hard work that both Bernard and Richarlison (somebody else you have been critical of recently) in supporting their full backs. Stats don't see that side of the game but our eyes do.
Exactly, his work off the ball is nearly as good as his work with the ball and just as important.

Feels like the successor to Pienaar. Thought Bernard had lovely link up with Digne as well. Not yet Baines/Pienaar's telepathic connection but maybe one day. I miss those slick back heels in the final third :cool:

Feels like the successor to Pienaar. Thought Bernard had lovely link up with Digne as well. Not yet Baines/Pienaar's telepathic connection but maybe one day. I miss those slick back heels in the final third :cool:
It's catching up pretty quick, They've only had one season together but they seem to be rising rapidly to Baines/Pienaar level although ever surpassing them two will be a tough task since them two destroyed teams by themselves with the connection they had.

The fact Bernard scored at the weekend and the stats show him to be our most effective player

Stats don't see that side of the game but our eyes do.

In one game. Across 30+ last year, he didn't do enough.

People lament any mention of statistics on Bernard and yet it's often the very same people who cite Kean's goal:games ratio as a supporting argument as to what an incredible signing he is, or those who use Gylfi's G/A return when there's any suggestion that he isn't doing enough.

Stats are inconvenient for fans of Bernard. Stats see every side of the game. Work rate is a convenient metric for Bernard to hide behind as it's not easy for the general public to find comparative numbers for how hard other PL wide players work, there absolutely are stats that show how many sprints back Bernard makes, how many ball recoveries etc so you can certainly quantify that side of his game with numbers too.

As i've said before, if a system that includes Bernard means we score enough goals and win enough games to break the top six, then great, I just can't see it. And I don't think that makes me any less of a fan. If Bernard performs and scores, as he did on Saturday, consistently then he will rightly stay in the team. But i'd say it's intellectually disingenuous to use that one game where he scored as evidence to suggest he's better than the other 30 odd where, collectively, he didn't deliver anywhere near what you'd expect for a regularly starting, top six wide player.

Good luck to Bernie, I hope he proves me wrong, but I get the feeling he'll be starting on the bench well before Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.